Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alberta Lessons question
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

question.gif posted on 6-5-2011 at 11:55 AM
Alberta Lessons question

I'm wanting to get on the bandwagon here so that I can make the most of the summer. Was looking around for lessons in b.c. for when I'm out there August, but I'm thinking it would be better to get lessons sooner. Looking around I found this group and wondering if anyone has experience with them??? I can go on a list by the sounds of it, and if a time comes up I can be ready to go. Not too bad of trip if all works out. But don't want to get there and have the wind die cancelling the lesson.
http://www.kitesource.ca/content/kitesource-kiteboarding-sch...

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 01:04 PM

I am assuming that you are going to Nitnat or Squamish for water kiting. If you are coming through Vancouver, come waste some time waiting for wind with us at Garry Point.
S

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country Reflex 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10m new 6m!
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Sky Country Alasca 10m - sold
Rhombus Firebee 3m (ret).
Libre Vampir Race Pro 2.6m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
canuck

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 01:36 PM

There are a few people offering kiteboarding lessons down here (mainly at Keho Lake or Oldman Reservoir for wind south of Calgary).

Jeff and Erin Doepker operate Kitesource aka Soul Session Sports. Both are IKO certified instructors. They also have a place in Paracuru Brazil and take groups down every Fall. I took a Level 1 Water lesson from them in July 2009.

Gord Campbell operates High As A Kite Kiteboarding http://www.highasakite.ca/

IKO certified instruction is also offered by Glory Kiteboarding https://sites.google.com/a/glorykite.com/www/home

The ice has been off Keho for over a week now so the dry suit crew are back in the water. You can't always count on the wind forecast but Bob's Best Bet on the highasakite website has a pretty good track record.

Let me know if you find any other lessons.

FB: Pro Foil 5.5m, PL Reactor II 3.5m, Radsail 3m
Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

HQ Powerkites seat harness
Salomon snowblade 90, straight & shaped skis
PL Comp ST buggy, MBS Comp 16 Pro, Coyote All Terrain Rollerblades
BodyGlove wakeskis
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 04:47 PM

I believe you have family on the Island?

If so I would HIGHLY recommend going to Nitinat lake and taking a lesson with Maria at elevation kiteboarding. Nitinat is very reliable for wind . As long as it's sunny you can be sure. Even without odds of storm winds are good. Maria is a fantastic teacher. She uses a jet ski to assist you. speeding everything up greatly. She is IKO and very profesional. :cool2:

Nitinat is a bit out of the way but that makes it a true gem of a place. Worth taking the Fam' just for the trip. There is a motel or dry camping.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
I believe you have family on the Island?

If so I would HIGHLY recommend going to Nitinat lake and taking a lesson with Maria at elevation kiteboarding. Nitinat is very reliable for wind . As long as it's sunny you can be sure. Even without odds of storm winds are good. Maria is a fantastic teacher. She uses a jet ski to assist you. speeding everything up greatly. She is IKO and very profesional. :cool2:

Nitinat is a bit out of the way but that makes it a true gem of a place. Worth taking the Fam' just for the trip. There is a motel or dry camping.

Thanks for the help guys!!! I have been thinking that Nitinat is gonna be my best bet. I'm going to the Island in August, so as long as I can convince the wife and inlaws to take a weekend trip, I might wait till then. Till then I can keep playing around at my local lake and hope to build some skills along the way.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scudley
I am assuming that you are going to Nitnat or Squamish for water kiting. If you are coming through Vancouver, come waste some time waiting for wind with us at Garry Point.
S

Yeah I was thinking of stopping at GP when I'm in the area (if there was gonna be anyone around that day)

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 05:43 PM

If nothing else hit up the southerners at Keho. There's a guy in Edmonton that's had it with no instructors around so he's taking the bull by the horns and offering lessons but wind is anything but guaranteed around Edmonton. Keho is a safe bet. I'm hoping to get down there this summer and can report back what I learn for you.

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 06:05 PM

If you do go to Nitinat and can find a spot there are a bunch of very well set up camp sites along the lake. Use the wheelbarrows supplied to take your tent etc to the site. It is extra special to staying along the lake away from the camp sites. + they are better left to those with RV's.

Nitinat is all of that!

http://elevationkiteboarding.com/

http://www.nitinaht.ca/Webcam.htm

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 10:38 PM

Thanks Bladerunner, I sent elevationkiteboarding an e-mail giving brief intro to my kiting background, and asking for pricing and info on possible camps and lessons in August. A camp would really be great, but I would be happy if I could get a level1 training. I'm sure they have to start at the very beginning despite kiting history, but maybe my experience will help me get the most out of the lessons. If I can come back home with basic riding and upwind skills, I will be more than happy. I'm also cautiously putting the whistle in my wife's ear to think of going to a camp with maybe one of her sisters or friends, but I don't think it will happen this year.:wee:

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 08:47 AM

Maria is great but profesional. If you get a private lesson it may be worth the extra money. You AND your partner will have to go through stuff . If he is behind , you lose. It has happened to me but not with her.

If you have it down she will speed you through the basics. Prove to her you can body drag upwind and she will get straight to the important stuff. I say, work HARD on showing off how good you upwind drag + refresh yourself on the issues of safety. Self rescue and right of way etc. if you want to get the most of the lesson.

The water is cold at Nitinat. If you have a full wetsuit wear it. I think she will supply but ???

Ken (K2)
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 11:30 AM

Just curious why you need lessons, if you can ride now ... whats the surface got to do with it.

I see you can flyboard and snowboard so you should be fine with your Kite and Board skills.

there are a few schools around the Squamish area and one of them teaches with twinskins (no dino, its NOT me ... i have no patience to teach anyone). than again there are schools everywhere. are you thinking of Vancouver or the Island?

Elevation is a good school to learn from on the island.

shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 12:28 PM

Yeah I'm hoping that I can work through the ropes enough in the next month or two, so that I can avoid lessons, but want a plan in place if I can't work through it. Right now my biggest issue has been that our wind direction forces me to start switch, when I can't even waterstart regular foot yet. I'm sure it will work itself out though. We are gonna rent a sea-doo for a weekend next month, so a couple of us can work on board skills when the wind is down.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio