Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flight of the Pickle Fork (first time on the water)
dawicks

Mood: Life is good!

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 02:26 PM
Flight of the Pickle Fork (first time on the water)

Well, I finally had my first day on the water. It was tough going for a few hours and I was getting frustrated, but then all of a sudden something clicked. I got up... and to my surprise I stayed up, all the way to the shore! Then for the next hour and a half I was able to get up and stay up for varying lengths of time... eventually I ran out of gas and had to stop. Man what an awesome experience.

Some things I learned (or remembered) from my first day out:

(DISCLAIMER: This was my first time so none of the below is any kind of how-to... I could be totally wrong on all points).

1) Learn to fly the kite better with one hand and by feel.

While you are lying back in the water fighting to get the board on you really have to be able to fly the kite blind folded and with one hand. If it dips into the power zone or flies to the edge of the window... well it gets really annoying.

2) When you are trying to relaunch, don't be afraid to try things.

There were moments when I could not get the kite to relaunch and I would get frustrated so I would just let go of the bar and then pull on one line with my hand and the kite would roll over and then launch itself... cool.

3) Fully powering up the kite does not always mean power.

There seemed to be moments, especially when I was lying in the water that full power actually made the kite (LEI) die. I think the kite was usually at the edge of the window. There was a sweet spot in the bar position that made the kite come to life.

4) Go downwind a bit at first.

I think what clicked for me was that I didn't need to start going upwind right away. I needed to go downwind a bit to get some speed. I only figured this out after talking with a friend later.

5) Have a friend who is better than you.

Buddy who has been teaching me yelled a few suggestions from time to time that really helped. I would have gone insane without a few suggestions.

6) You don't have to have the newest gear to have fun.

Almost all of my equipment is used and I had to do a few minor repairs to some of it myself, but I was able to save tonnes of money. My board is probably the oldest thing I have, but the Pickle Fork seemed to do well. I think it might do a bit better with some bigger fins. Anyone know anything about putting bigger fins onto a Pickle Fork?

Appreciate any comments if I am off on anything.

Here are a couple pictures from the day.

2m NPW9b (home-made)
4m NPW9b (20% complete)
6m NPW9b (home-made)
8m NPW9b (70% complete)
Junky Alien Lamar Workshop Snowboard
MBS Core 95
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 04:38 PM

Nice work man!!!!:thumbup: I've only had one good plane of about 200yards in all my sessions on the water. Must feel real good when it finally clicks. I'm determined to get riding this summer if we ever get a windy enough day when I'm not at work.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 04:42 PM

Way to Go ! I'm sure you will remember this day for the rest of your life.

It seems like your kite buddy has you right on track ! You owe him big time !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 05:25 PM

Good job that man! Another junkie hooked :lol:

1. true that!
2. just make sure you have enough water downwind to superman safely ;)
3. yes, you can choke & backstall LEIs too :)
4. right!
5. that helps too!
6. yes and no ... depends how good the gear is or how old. I learned on the same year Cabrinha you got in the pics there. They were great kites for their day but they're old hat now :D

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio