Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Angle of the Dangle
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 12:37 AM
The Angle of the Dangle

Still finding myself pushing too far upwind once in a while and ending powered out in a tug of war with the kite. Now, this is usually only on my second or third reaches which are probably starting from a less than desirable point in our "littered with boats and drydocks" ride spot and as a result trying to get clear of danger either succeeding OR seeing that I won't get around and putting the all-stop on.

Using the waves as a rough guide, what angle should I be crossing over them, assuming they are running close to perpendicular to the wind? I'm finding that I can cross by about 30 degrees but that's the beginning of the end as it scrubs speed quick and the tug of war begins. I noticed when riding close to parallel with the waves, crossing at a really shallow angle (like 5 degrees?) I ride pretty solid, good maintained speed, parked kite and hold ground - not necessarily upwind though...or is it? I guess maybe marginally.

Is there an optimal angle or have I answered my own question already above and should just find the spot somewhere around 20 degrees?

Gonna check out a new spot next weekend (and stay for a week). Hopefully no boat docks and moorings. Once I get this angle I know I'm not far from the dangle angle attempts : )

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 12:50 AM

If you find yourself slowing down, bear-off (point the board downwind) a bit and pick up some speed ... you'll soon get a feel for balancing the speed of the board and the angle you can push upwind. Don't worry about the numbers, just go by feel :)
I went through the same thing :bigok:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 05:27 AM

We all go through this. It changes every time, especially if the winds are shifting ever so slightly.

I agree with Kami, it is totally a feel thing for me... It is more of a "hm... I'm slowing down, time to veer off downwind to pick up speed..."

The real kick in the pants is when your board just isnt quite big enough, and that veer off downwind loses you the ground you were trying to gain...

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 08:15 AM

sometimes in marginal winds and unwelcome targets close in , i generally will start at higher position and take a long leg out to gain upwind position or if the breeze just won't allow it i have plan b of the down wind return BELOW targets.

the telling moment when you are idle BEFORE you jump in, the bar should be thumping the stopper ball and power is solid if the bar is mushy NO amount of angling will help. power! delivers speed and point of sail.

the waves are poor reference and the only out come you should be concerned with is beating against them with gain. pinch back for more distance and get away from break current.

repost from wrong post :

stop looking at the waves , look horizon!

keep the kite in powered spot! about 60 degrees up and pull in and slowly out as you let the board run, fall back on the kite , let the board run and progressively add pressure (back heel) to head up wind . helps to focus on a point reasonably up wind.

speed ! thats what you want, and you need to control it. allowing the board to run THEN apply guidance. it may seem like alot at first, but the kite needs it and so does the board , with enough threshold speed , there is no control just slugging and a choking kite. let it flow ,THEN drive it, not harshly! but respond to what they BOTH tell you.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 12:13 PM

Thanks guys - makes perfect sense and helped get a few more points in my random assortment of thoughts to click. I remember my instructor in the Keys telling me to leave the kite alone and use the board more - this is exactly why I'm guessing. Definitely had enough power this past weekend. We were 17 gusting to 30 but the 11m T3 was a champ. I love how you can just dump ALL the power so easily. Never felt as full of a depower on the Venoms through sheeting alone.

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

~ Thomas Edison
AD72
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 01:15 PM

As mentioned above don't worry about the waves unless you are avoiding getting overcome by one. Pick a point to go to and point your chest in that direction. Shoulders back. I have been practicing going downwind. It is funny I got so used to absorbing power by going further up wind that when I went on an official down-winder with a group in high winds, I did not feel comfortable at all. I have found going downwind use more turns to scrub off speed and keep tension in the lines.

Not sure if that answers the question but being able to go downwind and upwind and being able to dump power helps avoid obstacles and other craft coming the opposite direction.

Also remember Starboard tack (right hand forward) has right of way.
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AD72
Also remember Starboard tack (right hand forward) has right of way.

Yeah....I wish that was more common knowledge...or more adhered to. I was on a GREAT reach Saturday - one of my best yet, right hand forward. One of the local hot shots was surging upwind to cross my path. Had to abandon one of my first few "perfect" lines so I could slide downwind enough to get by him while dropping my kite to go under.

D!ck. ESPECIALLY since everyone out there knows at what level of riding we are all at. Hell, if I was a hot shot and knew someone at my skill level was coming I'd stay the hell away for fear of my own safety :lol:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

~ Thomas Edison
erratic winds
Posting Freak

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by macboy
D!ck. ESPECIALLY since everyone out there knows at what level of riding we are all at. Hell, if I was a hot shot and knew someone at my skill level was coming I'd stay the hell away for fear of my own safety :lol:

Amen to that. Give new people room. They need it. You fail to, you might find yourself in a very close encounter with them!

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:01 PM

(and I meant "D!ck"in a jestful, tongue-in-cheek kinda way. I'd have said it to his face even...that kinda jest.)

*phew!* Almost let Karma get one over on me :lol:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

~ Thomas Edison
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 10:51 PM

nice work Mac and you are def right there.....................point down wind as you feel your speed fallinging off.......inflatables fly well in the follow me mode so dont be worried........................a session or two more and youve got it........................:thumbup:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 12:57 AM

Did you raise your kite Mac? ;) I get shirty at dicks who don't raise their kite to show their intentions ... but here in Asia, it's something of a free-for-all :o

Stance is vital - I posted a brilliant link for that :D iKitesurf.com IIRC the URL ... key points - head up, shoulders back, eyes on the horizon, love the bar (hips out), knees flexible ...

If you're slowing down, you've either got too much weight on the rear heel and are edging too hard (like you should to go upwind) for the available wind, so you could also flatten out the board by pushing the front foot.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio