Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rollerblades with scooter wheels!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 07:12 AM
Rollerblades with scooter wheels!

Copied from old forum:

February 22 2001 by Glenn 

I stumbled on your site on accident while (coincidently) looking for scooter wheels so I can build this great idea I came up with: Rollerblades with scooter wheels!
I thought I was pretty original for coming up with this idea but it seems you have already done it. Have you tried any of the marketed off-road rollerblades? Their wheels seem too small. That's why I wanted to build my own. I want to do some serious off-roading with these things.
I'm looking to pick up some wheels cheap. That kite flying looks fun too. How much wind do you need to make that work?

Thanks, Glenn

doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 16-2-2003 at 07:13 AM

Copied from old forum:

February 23 2001 by doomwheels

> Have you tried any of the marketed off-road rollerblades? Their wheels seem
> too small.

hi glenn
back when i made my skates there were no marketed off road skate available. rollerblade would not introduce theirs until years afterward. but i agree with you, their wheels are too small for my application. while kiteskating, i hit speeds over 60 mph and small wheels could easily trip over any slight dent in the surface sending me into a high speed head plant. large wheels and thick tires make up for any unevenness in the ground.

>That kite flying looks fun too. How much wind do you need to make that work?

the kites we use can be quite large depending on the wind (light wind = larger kite). i generally skate in 8 mph wind and above. 15+ mph is perfect.

>I want to do some serious off-roading with these things.

for regular down-hill off-road skating, i would be tempted to use Troller Cross skates from Norkem Sportprodukte. they are a german manufacturer whose skates have suspension and hand brakes mounted on a ski pole. they look nice, but i doubt would work well for kiteskating (no need for brake as the kite is also the brake, and a soft suspension is not good to handle the force of the kite).
here is their address in case you are interested:
Norkem Sportprodukte
Hanebergstrasse 49
Kempten / Allgaeu
tel: 831-6972646 (call operator for country code - 0031 i think)

btw: if you make yourself some skates, send me a pic and i will include it on my site. for tips on how i built mine (1992 version), check out the "build the wheels of doom" page in the articles section.
good luck to you,
bc

ericvanbel

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 13-9-2004 at 07:37 AM

The country number is 0049 not 0031 (thats the netherlands).
Terrablade

[*] posted on 6-12-2006 at 06:59 PM

Quote:

for regular down-hill off-road skating, i would be tempted to use Troller Cross skates from Norkem Sportprodukte. they are a german manufacturer whose skates have suspension and hand brakes mounted on a ski pole. they look nice, but i doubt would work well for kiteskating (no need for brake as the kite is also the brake, and a soft suspension is not good to handle the force of the kite).

did these things have air filled tires? about how big? what did they look like? Any pictures around?

do you know a webpage for these guys? thanks
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 06:50 AM

Gee, it's been too long to know (note the date of the post - 2001) and a google search provided nothing. Try giving them a call - +49 831 697 2646. Let us know what you find.

Terrablade

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 08:55 AM

+49 831 697 2646 getting some error message from germany. Any hope of finding any of them?

would really like to see this design.. did they look good? where they big skates?

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio