Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 12.5 Mile Run on Beach
Terrablader

[*] posted on 22-4-2006 at 06:30 PM
12.5 Mile Run on Beach

Are you coming to the USA any time soon Bob?

Anyone in S. Cal. want to skate please let know I have 5 pairs of Terrablades.com made now.

I think I got it !!!!!

15-23 Knot winds (onshore) + Low Tide at 12:30 pm + 7 Meter Bullet Traction Kite + Terrablades = Lots of skating

Here is my GPS logs. Finally an onshore wind could go up and down the beach. The kite was a bit strong for my skill level but I am good with my skates at least, the 4 wheels REALLY plowed over the hard, medium hard and sometimes dune sand, and kicked up some nice spray when going in the low water. It seems in this kind of conditions, I mean with my skates which have lots of drag a powerfull pull is needed.

Its possible to roll nicely once the momementum is up. My top speed was about 20mph. Average around 13 mph. 7-10 mph going upwind.

I tried my 3 meter in the 15-20knt wind and it was a useless toy. These big skates really need power to get them around then they roll just fine. But the smaller kite was useless trying to go upwind, i dove it up and down lots of times trying to pump power into it and went back to the 7 meter.

I am thinking of a 5 meter and using a harness instead of the handles. My arms are gone after those 3 hours. Would be nice to have a bar to lay back with. But do tracktion kites work for chickloop type straight bars?

any tips appreciated!

Rich
Bucky

[*] posted on 27-4-2006 at 03:35 PM

Hey terrablader:

Looks like a pretty good day!

In regards to your question about harness/bar/handles...

1. Handles CAN be used with a harness. In fact, most land kiters use this kind of setup. A strong line/rope in attached to the back of each handle behind each power line that connects the 2 handles together. (Most handle assembleys allready have this line attached) The rope is hooked into your harness hook.

2. The x-bar setup for converting quad-line foils to bars, that I have posted on "land kiting accesories" on this site will work for almost all quad-line foil kites. (I haven't found one yet that it doesn't work on) In case you want to go that direction. Pro's... less hassle, simplifies controls. Con's... Limits "on-the -fly" braking ability.

3. In either case, I would suggest waist harness instead of a seat harness. Since you face forward, rather than sideways like landboarders or kitesurfers, a waist harness could allow the hook to be placed on your side.

\"There are no stupid questions... There are however, a lot of inquizitive idiots.\"

Quad-Trac Profoil 3m
Eolo Radsail Pro 2.7m, 3m, 6m (x2)
Ozone Razor 5.5m 4.5m and my new 8.5m (The thing scares the crap out of me...but in a good way!)
Advance Io 7.5m
Jojo Rage 12m
Jojo RS 6m (T. Raw\'s old mystery Jojo - still crazy powerful)

Earthboard Rage mountainboard w/8\" tires
MBS Comp 32 board
Flexifoil sport buggies (x3) Highly modified
Peter Lynn Comp w/Bigfoots
Rockville offroad skates w/8\" tires
Homebuilt sandboard

Lots of Ritalin
Terrablade

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucky
Hey terrablader:

Looks like a pretty good day!

In regards to your question about harness/bar/handles...

1. Handles CAN be used with a harness. In fact, most land kiters use this kind of setup. A strong line/rope in attached to the back of each handle behind each power line that connects the 2 handles together. (Most handle assembleys allready have this line attached) The rope is hooked into your harness hook.

2. The x-bar setup for converting quad-line foils to bars, that I have posted on "land kiting accesories" on this site will work for almost all quad-line foil kites. (I haven't found one yet that it doesn't work on) In case you want to go that direction. Pro's... less hassle, simplifies controls. Con's... Limits "on-the -fly" braking ability.

3. In either case, I would suggest waist harness instead of a seat harness. Since you face forward, rather than sideways like landboarders or kitesurfers, a waist harness could allow the hook to be placed on your side.

fantastic advise thank you very much.

Do you have a picture of rockville skates with 8 tires??? I dont see them on thier web site would really like to see.

Rich
www.terrablades.com
off road skating/ year round skiing
"Let it Melt'
Terrablader

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 08:44 PM
12 Miles

Update!

What a great day. This was my best yet. This gps log shows 12.5 miles of beach run. The wind was perfect about 10-14knts coming right in from the Ocean. Could really lean back and just ride ride ride. The Seal Naval base turned me around or would have gotten further but still was awsome day. My max speed was about 20mph, most of the time did around 13mph right through the water, lose sand, right over kelp piles ect.

Kite=Bullet 7.0 meter, and my 8 wheels skates. The ski boots are really confortable. the float on the wheels is excellent, very stable, maybe not as fast as traditional Doomwheels but I think the extra 4 wheels really power over the junk. Could lean way over, was using a small harness with a rope connecting the two handles. Had a couple crashes one at about 16mph on a sloppy jive. Anyway heres the actual log.

Rich
www.terrablades.com
Off-Road Skating / Skiing Year Round
"Let it melt"

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio