Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminum rails?
flyhigh142

question.gif posted on 20-5-2006 at 12:25 PM
Aluminum rails?

I'm just about to start building, my wheels should be here on Monday, but I was wondering if the people who have used aluminum instad of steel for their rails have had builders's remorse. Do yours flex? What size did you go with? I was planning on 1/2 x 1 1/2 6061, but if I can find it, I'd rather use 7075 aluminum. I checked out steel and it just seemed so darn heavy, not to mention I'd need to have a machine shop do the drilling. With aluminum, I can do all the work myself. I don't feel like doing everything twice, so if it's a bad idea, please sing out! Thanks.
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 01:24 AM

I don't suggest using aluminum. There is a lot of pressure at the point where the heel of the boot is bolted to the rails (a point weakened by the drilled hole). Even if the rest of the aluminum rail is strong, it is particularly weak here and will likely bend.

I use: 4 steel rails 3/8" x 3/4" roughly 24" to 26" long.

Note: weight = traction and speed. My skates weigh 35 lbs (combined).

flyhigh142

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 09:59 AM

Thanks, Doomwheels. One of the things I was thinking of was how heavy they'd end up being. In most of the things I deal with, that isn't a good thing, but I appreciate you setting me straight here. Steel it is!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio