Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peter Lynn Fury
rudeboysaude

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 06:52 PM
Peter Lynn Fury

Well, I got to try it out today in very poor wind conditions. I should have pumped up the 19 but went with the 13 because I have no idea how to fly these inflatable contraptions. probably 10mph, I was able to get rides with a Door. need more time and better conditions to do a proper review, but I can say honestly, Its the best LEI I've ever owned. last one I had was a 2001 14m Fuel a long long time ago.

I felt like a newbie kiter trying to drift launch, didn't pump it up enough, awkward. I'm not sure I'll be a convert from the ARCs, but hoping to use them this summer for tight launches. More here when I get more comfortable with them!

Peter Lynn Snowkite Team
cheezycheese
Posting Freak

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 07:16 PM

good to see you posting Aaron.... :bigok: nice pics

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
rudeboysaude

[*] posted on 22-5-2012 at 07:06 PM

I rode the Fury 19 for about 5 hours last friday. I like big kites.. the 19 Charger is the kite I fly 80% of the time. The low end on this Fury is even better. I would say if the wind is low, I'll fly this kite, if it's 15+ the 19 Charger will be my go to kite. Bar pressure is less then the Charger, but it jumps alot different. I can see why when I demo my ARC kites to LEI kiters they just don't get it.. I don't get these kites. I can relaunch an arc easy, but trying to get these things in the air is a pain in the rear. Luckily they float forever because it takes that long to get them out of the water. Or maybe I'm talking like an ARC flyer. The eye opening experience to all of this is that it really comes down to what you fly. LEI kiters will call BS to this whole post, but it's legit. I feel like a beginner on the ground handling of these kites and the technique for jumping is different as well. Again, I have nothing to compare it to, but I can tell you that the folks on 13M Waroos weren't cutting the mustard like me on the 19 Fury. Winds were maybe 10-12. Barely capping out there. When the wind did pick up, nice jumps if you got the timing right. Not as aggressive as the Charger but quite floaty. It went upwind like mad. At times I felt like I was headed straight upwind. Here are some pics to share the fun. 19 Fury is a sweet kite. I think I'll use the 19 for light winds, and the 13 Fury for when I need to drift launch at a crappy beach. Otherwise I'll stick to the ARCs for the most part. Nice to have all of them in the quiver for different situations.

Peter Lynn Snowkite Team
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-5-2012 at 08:28 PM

Interesting ... thanks!

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 22-5-2012 at 09:57 PM

Nice review Rudeboy...I could definitely relate to the foil/Lei thing you were mentioning.

I flew my buddy's Cab in light winds static (I know, not really a good test), but enough for me to really appreciate my foils/arc's even more. Made me wonder why so many people like their LEI's and also, if more people had a chance to try the foils/arcs, would the LEI riders be more inclined to switch. So maybe it's just me and not giving Lei's enough of a try....

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 12:44 AM

Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 02:32 AM

Heh ...

LEIs are more sheet'n'go than the arcs, and sometimes that's just easier. That tends to give them more immediate usefulness IMO to get you up on a plane and moving. Lighter bar pressure means you can whip them around all day to make power ... but that always gets dull real fast. The trade-off is that the top-end is limited and they get brutal with it.

Arcs, I have to get up to speed and keep the speed up to be able to just ride along. That's on water though ... I imagine on land, the arcs will rule - stable and as you're not going to sink, easy to keep riding.

Flysurfers ... oh my! Best of both worlds ... with the quirk that bridles can be a hassle :D

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 06:32 AM

19! that had to be a blast. nice info RUDEBOY

i had go on an 11m FURY at JIBE, quick turning holy crap. a frontline bias depower lei with light bar pressure in the c-hybrid design category and a slightly higher AR. i did not get a chance at adjustments for tweaking but in about 20 min. worked through some decent airs. i could have used a 13m for conditions but Don(tridude) had good go on it.
we adjusted the attachments for the next guy and he liked the way it handle. increased the bar pressure to the + side on the rear of the kite. and all seemed fine for him.

the bar seemed big AND made this 11m super fast. An inside connection on a medium bar would be perfect i think.

very different from an arc, and adding bar pressure thru adjustments helps equalize feel and behavior. nice unit! def want more time .

and BTW the new navigator bars are as good as it gets, the bungee on the center i would drop and add regular line the once the sweet spots on the trim and settings are dialed in. not a big issue but a matter of taste.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
rudeboysaude

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 08:30 AM

Speaking of the bar.. I was hoping it would work for the arcs as well, but I think they would have to be modded. No flag out safety. I suppose that's why they offer two models. I did like the new bar design though. Since I moved further north in MN there are lots of little lakes with no beaches. If I can master this drift launch I can see them being somewhat easier to launch, although the rigid design of an inflatable is awkward for dragging out to the water in a tree lined beach. I'm headed to Red Lake the first weekend of June and will report more findings... Good beach there though, Chargers might be hard to out down to pump up a kite!

It was fun to see the faces on the kiters at the beach, they thought the universe must be crashing to see me on an LEI. All kites are good, it's just mastering your particular choice.

Peter Lynn Snowkite Team
Wolfpaklv

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 10:04 PM

Rudeboy...glad you like the 19m. Personally I think the 17m is enough. Not sure how much difference on the low end the 19m is giving, maybe 1 mph. But as you said for jumps the 19m is Great! Especially noticed how well it worked on a surf board in Belmont Shores.

As for the reason most people fly LEI's. I can say I'm now a convert. Been flying foils since I began kitesurfing. Problem is if you want to go big and do aerial kiteloop transitions and rolls you can't beat the turning speed of these new Fury's. Never gonna get rid of my foils though. They definitaly require less tending of the bar when out cruising. And how about when you come in and want to eat lunch...love the look on peoples face when I hook the kite up to the front of my truck and walk away from it!!

Phreerider...agree completely about removing the bungee on the safety line. Trying to convince them to get rid of it.

Brian Holgate
rudeboysaude

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 06:17 PM

Brian.. I probably weigh twice as much as you.. I need all of that 19! Ill never convert. If PL stopped making the arc I'd tear my old kites apart and use as patterns to create more. I fly arcs because I like them. Everyone has their choice, but I groove with the twinskin. Ever since the Guerrilla 2, which wasn't a great kite, they've been my favorite. I've owned all kinds of stuff in between. Flysurfers are decent, bit I can't get into them. Mixer settings and stretching lines. No thanks. Pumping a kite.. No fun. Four lines and a kite that rocks repaired with duct tape or flown with a hole in it.. My kind of kite. They all pull, find your love and ride it.t!

Fury is a nice kite, hoping for more rides this summer. But Im really amped to try the Charger 2. I didn't think it could get any better, but Im excited to try it ou

Peter Lynn Snowkite Team
Wolfpaklv

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 08:04 PM

Sweet, glad to hear you are a diehard Twinskin user. Don't get me wrong. I will never stop flying my foils as well. Just decided to use the LEI's also. Where as before I wouldn't even give them a chance.

I will see what I can do about getting the Chargers to an event in your neck of the woods. Let me know if you have ideas.

Brian Holgate
mougl
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked for JIBE!!!

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 03:05 PM

Reading this thread has me wanting to try the Fury. I have not tried h2o yet but I would imagine the Fury would perform well on land too. Hmm...

US357
PB: 53.1 mph

tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 07:08 PM

Brian,

Would love to fly my 17m Oz Zephyr alongside nfleech on the 17m Fury lite...........can you and nfl make that happen?

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 07:28 PM

I've ridden the 13 and 9 meter Furys. Turning speed is def there. The 13 has nice low end grunt with great pop and float. Started on the 13 in no more tha 13 mph wind up to 20 when I finished with no over power issues. The kite depowers well thru the bar. Even though the 13 has a decent amount of projection (mid to higher aspect ratio) it still turned fast. The 13 looks BIG in the air. The graphics are eye catching as you watch the kite sail smoothly along. Im sure nfleech wont be the only one usung these in the future. He was making his his S pins and blind judges look much easier with the addtional elevation and float the fury provides. Peter Lynn seems to have gotten it right as they enter the inflatable arena.

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Wolfpaklv

[*] posted on 20-8-2012 at 02:38 PM

Hey Tridude, sending you a u2u now.

Brian Holgate
tridude
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-8-2012 at 03:56 PM

U2U responded to.............

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 12:17 PM

From the sound of things, you all have spent some time with this kite.
I have to ask a very important question.
HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET THE THING TO REVERSE LAUNCH?
I will not take these kites out in the water till I feel comfy on land with the board. I heard a lot of what sounded like cussing from down the beach and wouldn't you know it, the kite was upside down and It was yelling back, "Neener Neener Neener". After my wife saw me looking out to sea after 15 minutes of trying to get that blasted kite up again, she figured I was going to drowned the kite, and took pitty on me and came over and flipped the kite. That was the last of that for the day.
It was the opinion of all involved that these are not anything we want to play with on land. For buggy, board or static flying. Water may be the best place for this kite to shine but not for me.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 25-1-2013 at 12:58 PM

Fury and Escape review by "The Kiteboarder"

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2013/01/tkb-review-2012-peter-...

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
Feyd
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 06:01 AM

Kind of a flacid review. Seriously I closed the page and reopened it to be sure I didn't miss any of useful content only to find it was a vague the second time around.

No real description of turn rate, touching briefly on the stability but nothing on how it compares to other kites in the same category etc.

The safety system is being reworked. Push away would be better, and as most push away systems are centrally located on the system it will likey get rid of any "single" sided safety system.

Personally I've never had an issue activating the safety from one side or the other. My hand will cover the whole assembly when I need to use it and I just slide my hand down both sides at once. There are a number of bar systems (Ozone etc.) that are made the same way, I wonder if they will follow suit.

I have a Fury here that I played with a little in the early winter. When It warms back up I'll take her out and really try to put some miles on her and see how she fares. Right now I'm just not interested in hauling and using a pump.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio