Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PL Core 3m First Impression from a Noob(ish)
Proletariat

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 01:42 PM
PL Core 3m First Impression from a Noob(ish)

1) I don't own a buggy but will in the future
2) I've been flying FB foils for just over a year
3) I'm not a fanboy for any particular brand
4) this is my first Peter Lynn kite and I have flown it twice.

Okay, caveats outta the way...
Build quality and packaging is absolutely excellent. From the ground stake to the lines to the pack, there is not a single detail that looks even moderately sub-par. The lines were all the exact same length and even have little numbered tabs on them so you don't have to use your brain. In comparison, I like Flexifoil's tabs (on my Blade IV) better because they show the line lengths and are a little slimmer / easier to use for loosening the larks head, but these are still really nice.

The bridles are solid, but thin. This thing just oozes quality. The colors of the 3m out of the bag are vibrant yet not annoying. It's possibly the prettiest/classiest kite I have owned. The Blade is pretty close, but the Rasta colors are simultaneously awesome and embarrassing. I really love the red, green yellow on the blade, but don't ever want to be accused of having a giant Bob Marley wall hanging in my dorm room. That was a long time ago and there shouldn't be any evidence left. But I digress...

So out of the bag, setup is a cinch. The handles are superb, if a bit short (I am sure there is more than one size). Less hand strain, but also less torque on the brake lines. Regardless, they have just the right amount of padding and could support hours of flying. They're pretty grippy, so wear gloves or get a blister with 2+ hours of flying per day. There were no kite killers included. What was included wa a bag, kite, 2 winders, handles, instructions, and a really nice bag that could actually fit 2 or 3 kites. It's way too big for just a 3m.

Upon setup, the kite just sits there billowed up and launches easily. It reverse launches just as easily and spins on a dime to right itself before taking off vents-forward. It is MUCH better than many other higher AR kites I have flown at reverse launching. In flight, it is fast, does not overfly the window and will stand on its head to turn around quickly. However, the Core needs constant brake pressure to act right. Loosen the brake lines and fly on just the front and the Core only goes about halfway across the window in any direction and starts to fall back the direction you came from. Add the brake again and it just acts like a dream. Which brings me to my next point: pull/power.

The greatest thing about this kite (that took me 2 days to figure out) is that, if you keep constant pressure on the brake, the Core delivers smooth power at any spot in the window. Even through turns, it was way easier to maintain the exact same force on my hands without working the kite as hard as I would, say, an Ace (which is like a full time job to keep consistently powered) or a Beamer (which delivers smooth power, but not through turns). Anyway, I was only a le to fly the Core in 5-10 mph winds and it was fantastic, but I think this 3m didn't even come close to showing me all its goodies. In 15+ mph, I'd imagine the 3m Core would be like a really amazing dance partner and allow you to do all sorts of fancy acrobatics.

The Core's recovery from the occasional luff was fast and almost automatic. Just turn it the direction it's supposed to go and it's flying fully inflated almost instantly. It was a little hard to spin the kite in place, but that's honestly not a very useful maneuver and speaks to the Core's ability to track a line and stay on target. It's pretty hard to shake this kite loose.

So these are all my static flying observations. I did t has a chance to do any traction kiting aside from a mild scud or two. I would guess that you could just park the Core in the right place and go, easily adjusting forward/backwards or looping/sining for power. I did fly it overhead and even simulated a few pendulum jumps, but the wind was just too light for a 3m to do any lifting. It certainly didn't ever surprise me while overhead, but there was definitely some lift potential. Much, much less than the Blade or Ace. A little more than a Beamer III or a Flux. It's a nice balance. I wonder how it would fly on a turbo bar.

I have to get rid of mine due to the fact that it's not the most friendly kite for people new to 4 lines (they tend to not understand that bottom means brake), but I would gladly fly one of these for snow, buggy or landboarding if I were interested in smooth cruising and precise power control.
Proletariat

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 06:26 PM

Very cold day for an inaugural flight. You can see where I back stall because I hadn't figured out the right amount of brake pressure yet:

BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 06:40 PM

shorten the brake lines just a bit and you won't have to lay on the brakes so much. A couple knots in the lower leader line on the handles should do it.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
jeepersjoey

Mood: Vapor Trails...

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 07:28 PM

I wish I could say it was well filmed. But alas, I did not do well. I tried to get you and the kite in the frame.

I need more practice.

I request another chance!

Peter Lynn - Resurrected Vapors (thanks to Tenacious Tape): 3.2, 3.8, 4.5, 5.4m. Size 2.3m (dead) - all internal bellows shredded
Pansh - Cerberus - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.5, 9m. (red)
Peter Lynn - Viper - 2.6m
Flexifoil - Rage - Rasta 1.8, 2.5 (dead), 3.5 (dead), 4.7 (v2). New backup of 2.5m and 3.5m.
Ozone - Method 6.5m (w/ Ozone Turbo Bar)
Libre - Bora - Yellow 3.0 & 4.5 (both on their last breath of life)
Peter Lynn - C-Quad - 6.3
HQ - NPW9: 3.4 & 5.3. NPW5: 1.0

Buggies (Kite and Land)
#1 Buggy: Libre Full-Race
#2 Buggy: Peter Lynn Suspension buggy
#3 Sailer: Homemade Land Sailer
#4 Buggy: Windspeed Pro Ivanpah Buggy named Bruce (because he weighs 130 lbs!!)

Paul's Photo Album

Paul's Videos
Proletariat

[*] posted on 30-1-2013 at 01:28 PM

JJ, I really thought the filming was fantastic. Thanks for filming it!

Mike, I did tighten it up the next fly and it was much better. This inaugural fly video was before I tuned it and figured out the right amount of brake pressure. I put a knot about 1.5 inches up the brake leader and it turned into super kite.

Anyone know the advertised wind range on the 3m Core? I couldn't find any info on the PL site.
abkayak
Posting Freak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 30-1-2013 at 01:40 PM

This review is so thorough i am fighting to keep from giving you full access to my paypal accnt......got a reg hornet but i wont insult you w/ that. my review on the Hornet...... great kite just too tame.

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
pongnut

Mood: Land and snow figured out... water?

[*] posted on 30-1-2013 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Proletariat
...Anyone know the advertised wind range on the 3m Core? I couldn't find any info on the PL site.

4 to 23 mph

http://www.awindofchange.com/product/peterlynn_core.html

2m Radsails Pro (from crazyherb), 2.1m Symphony Beach II (from Amazon), 3m HQ Beamer IV (from K-Bid), 4m Pansh Flux (from garydog), 4.7m Flexifoil Rage (from mougl), 5.6m PL Twister IIR (from Big Mike), 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (from Flysurfer USA), 11m HQ Neo II (from kiteplace), 19m PL Venom II (from Smeagol), MBS Core 95 ATB (from Overstock.com), couple of ROSSIGNOL snowboards w/ SIS "click" bindings
Wolfpaklv

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 02:49 PM

That is my all time favorite kite. It is still the one I ride for pleasure. Looking forward to trying the new Voltage. It replaces the Core.

Brian Holgate
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 23-2-2013 at 10:28 PM

I'm a fan of the Core myself,... I have a 4m & a 5.1m and they are great in the buggy.

I've ridden both on the beach at JI and found that 20 min with the 5.1m will completely FRY my fore arms, and it gets you moving FAST. My 4m is one of my favorites and behaves like a dream.

They don't handle the inland gusts as well as my Vipers do but they are still pretty awesome.

And FYI Peter Lynn has 2 sizes of handles, the smaller ones come with their kites 4m and under and the larger ones come with 5m and up. Also PL has worked out thinner bridles on a lot of their kites (esp pro range) for less drag.

I kind of wish I could've gotten your 3m when you sold it, but my wallet is on restriction :lol:

My 4m at JI

I'm going to take a nap now
Proletariat

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 11:16 PM

Yeah, after riding in the buggy, I have a better idea about what the core was designed for. I'm still glad I traded dow (the Hornet is fantastic), but I'd like to have another shot with one while in a buggy some day. That, and the graphics / quality really were amazing.
greasehopper

Mood: surfin' wit de' A-wee-ums

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 06:41 AM

The Peter Lynn Core, the English Butler of fixed bridle parafoils. Neat, tidy, well dressed, always well behaved even in difficult conditions, accommodating to the neophyte yet ready for the most demanding tasks at a moments notice.

I'm having a hard time envisioning anything more versatile.

Ken Shaw
Riding the wild sastrugi of the Sonoran Desert
Flexifoil : Blurr 3.5m, 5m
HQ : Beamer IV 5m : Montana V 9.5m : Crossfire II 3m
Ozone : Haka 5m : Cult 2.5m : Flow 2m : Imp 1.5m
Peter Lynn : Core 6.7m, 5.1m, 4m, 3m
Revolution : Speed series Blast : 1.5 SLE

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio