Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reactor II Bridle repair-*UPDATE, first flight with repair.
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 16-9-2013 at 09:11 PM
Reactor II Bridle repair-*UPDATE, first flight with repair.

Some of you may have seen my post in the kite review section where I reviewed my new to me 8.6m PL Reactor II and how on my 2nd or 3rd ever flight with the kite (1st time in the buggy with it) I stepped a bit too far back in the light wind, crashed the right wingtip into my buggy and cut a bridle on my front fender.

Well, I contacted Angus at Coastal Windsports (who sold me the kite from his personal collection), as well as the guys at Fixmykite.com. Angus wanted to see if the guys at Vliegerop (Peter Lynn) would be willing to help. I also exchanged emails wih the guys at Fixmykite to see what they could do and explore the options. It turned out that the replacement bridle piece from Fixmykite would only cost somewhere under $20, but after finally getting the Vliegerop guys involved, they said they would reproduce it at no charge. So in spite of actually having to wait longer probably than if I had paid Fixmykite, I was patient and finally received the piece in the mail on Friday. (Many, many thanks to Angus for all the help).

Having followed my tale of woe on the other post, Markite was kind enough to email me some really great instructions and diagrams without my even asking. I was pretty sure of how to go about it, but having my presumptions confirmed by an experienced person was helpful. Thanks Mark! :D

So I took it upon myself to go ahead and do the bridal fix today on my lunch break, and it was SUPER easy. I didn't expect it to be too difficult, but I was really surprised at how easy it actually was. So if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to do this DON'T be intimidated.

I'm fortunate that my work place has a lot of really big rooms with open floor space where I can lay out kites if I need to. So today I opened out the RII half way to tackle this:

Following my intuition and Marks instructions, I first removed the kite line from its attachment point, which I learned from Angus is called the Toggle. (The old Toggle was looking to be in bad shape so I opted to replace it as well). To replace a broken piece of bridle you have to deconstruct it from the top down and disassemble everything above the broken piece. I separated out the broken piece form the first group of bridles and kept them together with masking tape. I started at the top and was able to pull apart the larS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s head knots from the existing toggle and remove it. Since I am fortunate in this case to be due to clip my fingernails, pulling the knots apart was pretty easy:

My broken piece was connected on the opposite end to 3 very small bridles that are linked directly to the kite, so I taped those 3 together and pulled apart the larS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s heads and set them aside:

Now I was ready to add in the new piece from Peter Lynn. You would think that since they manufactured the kite, they would know that the bridle material on the kite is red, but for some reason they sent it to me in white,... But it was free, go figure :D

First I put the loop of the new bridle through the 3 bridle loops which attached to the kite, then put the opposite end of the new bridle through the loop I just passed through the 3 others and pulled the larS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s head tight:

Next I went to the first group which had been attached to the toggle and added the new piece to the bundle and passed them all through the loop on the tail of the toggle. Then passed the knotted head of the toggle through all 4 loops and pulled it tight. Re-bridling done!

One thing I noticed was that the new toggle is about 1/2" shorter that the old one, but the old one looked in pretty bad shape and needed replacement. I can fine tune that 1/2" on the knots on the leaders of my handles without a problem. All in all, while I know I wasn't timing myself, I know it didn't take more than 20 minutes.

I know the white bridle will stand out, but it looks to be the right length and I'm sure it will do the trick. We'll see how this big guy flies when I get the chance.

The moral of the story is, if you break or pop a bridle, don't fret, it is inexpensive and not terribly difficult to fix yourself.

Thanks for reading,
Spencer

I'm going to take a nap now
bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 16-9-2013 at 11:46 PM

That was it? I was thinking you were going to replace all of them.
Glad to hear it worked out. It is very easy to replace a damaged piece of the bridle but you dont know that until you actually take it apart and replace it. Great job in explaining and posting pics to help the understanding public.:thumbup:

A simple trick if it bothers you, use a sharpie to color the replacement. The color will not be perfect but it will not stand out and remind you every time you fly the kite. Sharpie does have a wide variety of colors.

Good job, now we want to hear about the kite and the way it flys.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Chook

Mood: I work at home from 8.00am to 12 knots

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 02:10 AM

and don't pack the kite away wet with a bridal that has sharpie on it. It bleeds a bit.

Modified Sysmic S2 Buggys
7m R1
8m R1 2
11m R1
15m R1
15m Chrono 2
18m Chrono
18m ELF
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 09:18 AM

Thanks Jeff, the color doesn't bother me enough to break out the sharpies :lol:

Thanks for the tip Chook

3shot
Posting Freak

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 06:17 PM

Glad it's a go Soliver!!!

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

Chook

Mood: I work at home from 8.00am to 12 knots

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 04:42 PM

Soliver, I meant to say well done on the "How to replace bridals". :thumbup::thumbup:
A few photos like that, when I was on my first attempt would have save a lot of wondering.

One step at a time and take heaps of photos if your not sure and they go back together well.

I was forced to "do" a bridal, after ripping the complete left hand brake bridal out of a Reactor 3.8m2.
A main line broke. (my fault, it powered up while I was stopped and not looking)

I got all the tabs restitched back into the kite, after it's open heart surgery and realized I hadn't larks headed the bridals to them as I went.:(

Anyway a top effort and 5 stars from me.:D

Modified Sysmic S2 Buggys
7m R1
8m R1 2
11m R1
15m R1
15m Chrono 2
18m Chrono
18m ELF
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 05:01 PM

Thanks Chook,

I really just wanted to share that the process is really easy, so if guys run into this problem, they need not be intimidated by all that bridle mess.

Thanks for the kind words and happy flying

riffclown
Posting Freak

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chook  
and don't pack the kite away wet with a bridal that has sharpie on it. It bleeds a bit.

Dry erase markers are far more colorfast on porous materials. If you ever want a T-Shirt signed by a celebrity, offer them a dry erase to sign it with. It will never wash out of cotton without some severe effort. Synthetic fibers vary of course so this might not be applicable to the bridle material..

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
knkmannthey

Mood: Looking for wind

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 08:19 PM

You and I are going to have to go out flying sometime. Ia have to see this monster again

FLEXFOIL 7m Bullett
Peter Lynn 2.6m Viper S
Peter Lynn 12m Vortex
Pansh 5m ACE
GI Flight 93

Other 2 and 4 line non power kites
knkmannthey

Mood: Looking for wind

[*] posted on 19-9-2013 at 03:32 AM

FLEXFOIL 7m Bullett
Peter Lynn 2.6m Viper S
Peter Lynn 12m Vortex
Pansh 5m ACE
GI Flight 93

Other 2 and 4 line non power kites
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-9-2013 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by knkmannthey  
You and I are going to have to go out flying sometime. Ia have to see this monster again

Indeed!!!

Really busy with school lately, but after Oct.... IT'S ON!!

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 04:35 PM

I've been in Lynchburg, VA taking a class for my Master's program. Class finished early today so I took the opportunity to put up my 8.6m RII to see how it flew with the replaced bridle.

Well,... It flew like a champ!!! The wind was consistently light around 3-5mph and I was flying with just the handles and KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s and after about 20 minute my forearms were screaming. This is the first time I've flown anything in almost 2 months and it was some difficult, but awesome flying. I went and put on my harness to relieve the strain on my arms and flew it for anothe half hour or so.

I'm finishing up school for this term and will probably take a break until the summer since we have a baby due in spring, so it looks like I'll be able to do more kiting this spring. WUHOO!!!

:wee::wee::wee::wee:

3shot
Posting Freak

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 05:24 PM

So glad she saw some air time bro!! Sounds like all is well.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-10-2013 at 05:25 AM

Yep,... Had a good time in the Burg too, thanks Jason. It's too bad we weren't able to get together.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio