Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Check me out.
milk

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 04:06 PM
Check me out.

Hi, I'm 6'1, 165-170 lbs, 17 yrs old, and am interested in kitesurfing. I would like for you more experienced guys to recommend a rig for me. I don't want a powerful kite, (I don't know which sizes are considered "powerful") I don't want to be picked up in gusts, and not be able to control the kite. I want a kite that can just pull be slowly in the water ( well moderately). Also, I wanted to know if you need bigger kites to go in the water, than to skate on land for example. I don't want a huge kite, but one that I could use for 'training' in the water, and other get going fast on REALLY windy days. What size of kite would you recommend for me? Thanks

$Milk$ ***

oooooooooooooooo
domdino

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 09:12 PM

Peter Lynn (venoms, guerillas, phantoms, vortex etc) are very good safe kites - they wont do anything unexpected... i'd be inclined to check them out before going straight into bows/sle/hybrid/LEI/flysurfer

Nice and gentle, but still some performance hiding in there... i would recommend getting a trainer kite first though if you haven't ever flown a kite.
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 07:28 AM

Just curious, what's a good beginner board?

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:09 AM

Milk - As a noob the first thing you need to do is get lessons. If I recall correctly, there's a dealer in the Chicago area (I looked him up for you: http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/ ). Contact that guy and get some lessons. If there isn't a dealer in your area, ask the other local kiters who can give you lessons, I'm sure someone will help. Then after you've taken some lessons, got a feel for how to fly the kite, then ask the locals what they use. Forums like this are great, but when you're a noob and you have no experience to balance the info you're given in a forum from a complete stranger, you're just asking for trouble. I've flown Peter Lynns, inflatos and Flysurfers, and they're only as safe as the guy who is flying them...

DaVinch - In a word, "big". The schools here (Hawaii) use huge, floaty twin tips. Naish and Airush made 6' beginner boards that work well and sell for dirt cheap used. You'll only need it for your first couple of sessions, so don't spend a lot of money for one. Better yet, see if you can borrow one (but I doubt you'll find many in Iowa). I learned on a big directional (7'6" surfboard with straps) which also works, but is alot tougher to learn to gybe.
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info! What's the name of the boards so I can do an ebay search.

I have a lake nearby that I would like to try out this summer.

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaVinch
Thanks for the info! What's the name of the boards so I can do an ebay search.

I have a lake nearby that I would like to try out this summer.

Hmm... I was afraid you'd ask me that... The Airush is called a "Square One" and I don't remember what the Naish board was called. Maybe it was called a TT180 or something like that. Both boards are about 6 foot long and floaty. You can also look for a "Gorge Animal" which is about the same dimensions, but older and heavier. I had one of these and it was fun in super light winds.

Keep in mind, these are huge, trainer boards. You'll probably out grow it after a half dozen sessions, but they might be worth keeping a bit longer as a lightwind board, Once you get it wired, you'll want to sell it though. The good news is that there's always a market for these boards, so you won't have any problem selling it... probably even for what you paid for it.
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-1-2007 at 09:11 AM

How about this board? Good for new riders?

Spleene Door

action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 23-1-2007 at 04:31 PM

I have not ridden the spleen yet but have a friend w/t one and says it is the best upwind board ever and he has been kitesurfing since 1996!..........aj

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
rossc

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 02:36 PM

The Jimmy Lewis Flightdeck is a real nice beginner board. It has a nicely shaped edge and concave bottom so it carves well. As you get better, it will become your favorite low wind board. You won't really notice much difference between boards until you gain some experience, so for a first board, something big and cheap usually works out fine.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio