Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Skydog Powerfoil 1.8
riffclown
Posting Freak

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 07:51 PM
Skydog Powerfoil 1.8

I had the pleasure of flying a new Skydog Powerfoil 1.8 at this year's Wright Kite Festival. Jim Cosca of Skydog Kites brought one out and handed it to me a saying "I knew you'd want to try this one" and he was absolutely right. First impression was it's a GREAT little kite. Handles extremely well and seems well made. Maneuvers like a stunt foil as I put it through the paces of most my Symphony 2.2.4 routine. Nice pull for the size. It ladders well, dive stops very well and the kite holds its shape well with propeller spins. Flying the kite inverted was also reasonably straightforward. This would be a great very high wind kite and a great powerkite for a young beginner to learn 4 lines on. This is the family kite for sure. I like the new graphics better than the SDT series (No more blank back) and the new sizes are nicely stepped to cover a wide wind range. While my review is based on one flight of one size I can easily tell they kept the quality of the SDT series, improved the graphics and also improved the pricing making this a very attractive series for those that want a quality kite without the premium price. Price points are IMO quite reasonable with the complete Foil RTF, Killers, Stake and Bag about the same price as a many competitors "Kite Only" price of comparable Aspect and size.

I have to agree with Big Mike's take on the 1.8 and looking at his other vids on the series, I can easily recommend the Skydog Power Foils. I didn't bring my cameras out at the event this year to take video but here is Big Mike's Video Review

If I hadn't already spent my kite budget that weekend on a Rev Stack, I would have purchased this kite on the spot.

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
3shot
Posting Freak

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 08:05 AM