Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trouble with Twister 3.0 IIR 5.6
wldkrd1

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 02:19 PM
Trouble with Twister 3.0 IIR 5.6

I've had this kite up three times and have been disappointed three times. The last time was in steady 8-12mph winds. Kite would launch to 10 o'clock, then no matter the input on the lines, rotates to the right. Very little control, very little power. I got it up to 11:00 one time and felt a hint of pull, but that was it.

I can't tell if this is because something's screwy with the setup or I just don't have enough wind. What's a good wind range for flying this kite static?

Flexifoil Blade III (4m, 4.9m, 6.6m)
PL Twister IIR (3.0m, 5.6m)
PL Hornet 3.0
PKD Buster 4.0m
Prism Synapse (140, 170)
Prism Hypnotist
Prism Flashlight
Prism Nexus
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 03:54 PM

Little more info:
Are you flying on handles or a control bar?
Is the kite new or used?
Have you checked all the lines/bridles/handles etc.... to make sure that everything is running straight from the kite to the handles without snags?

This info will help us get you going.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 04:16 PM

That should have been ideal wind? Somewhat strong at 12mph.

More info on your set up will help but it's clear you have brake line issues.
Your brake lines should hang slightly loose when not activated by your handles or bar. ( or you are completely depowered with your arc ) The fact it is not going past 10 oclock indicates it is being held back by the brakes. The fact it is spinning to one side suggests the brake is tighter on that side.

Check your front 3 rows of bridle and be sure they cascade cleanly ( Flying bridles ). Likewise for the back row ( brakes ). To prove the front bridles are not the problem you can fly it as a 2 line kite.

Check your fly lines and confirm they are all equal length.

Your quiver suggests this is not your 1st kite? Your question kind of scares me?? This front line / back line stuff is real important to get your head around if you are also flying depower ????

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
wldkrd1

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 04:23 PM

Thanks guys. Flying on handles, kite is used (doesn't appear abused). Bridles and lines are clean, not hindered. Flying with brake lines pushed forward (attempting to fly only on front lines) didn't seem to help much.

I need to confirm the line lengths. Haven't found a good way to do this by myself since they're so stinkin' long, but I'll figure it out next time I have it out.

PL Hornet 3.0
PKD Buster 4.0m
Prism Synapse (140, 170)
Prism Hypnotist
Prism Flashlight
Prism Nexus
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 04:24 PM

Were you flying The 3 or 5.6 meter...?

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 04:34 PM

Try tying another knot to shorten your power lines ( or lengthen your brake lines ) . If you plan to use your handles on another kite I suggest you do this at your kites leader lines. To play around you can do it on your handles leader lines.

Look for a noticable arc in your brake lines with handles relaxed. ( Venom totally depowered ) . Try it as a 2 line to eliminate the front bridles as being the issue.

Stick a nail ( or your kite stake ) through the loops on one end of the lines stick it in the ground and walk them out.

You have an advanced level set of kites and yet these concepts seem so basic? I am confused? Are you an advanced pilot ? What level are you at ?

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
wldkrd1

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 04:44 PM

I'm a new pilot (last 6 months or so) despite the quiver. Haven't touched the blade or the venom yet, and I won't till I master the twister 5.6. Most of the wind I get around here is in the 5-8mph range, way too low for the 3.0m. Figured 8-12 would be a decent range to get a feel for the 5.6 but since I don't have experience with this kite yet, figured I'd ask.

PL Hornet 3.0
PKD Buster 4.0m
Prism Synapse (140, 170)
Prism Hypnotist
Prism Flashlight
Prism Nexus
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 04:56 PM

It is a great thing you are asking questions. You want to be very careful with those kites but with time and common sense can grow into them.

8- 12 was the right wind. As I mentioned the 12mph gusts should have been a LOT as a beginer. Good choice to not go to the Blade!

Believe it or not when the wind is 12mph + and your Blades and Twisters are handing it to you your Venom will be just waking up!

Please feel free to keep asking questions. That's what this place is all about.

You can probably FLY your 3m in as low wind or lower than your 5.6m . The 3m flies faster and speed = power. The 5.6 will deliver USEABLE POWER earlier.

Ken (K2)
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 11:31 AM

When a twister gets up and sits back down it's the power lines, number 2 and 3 that need shortening. You'll do it at the handle because the pigtail at the kite isn't long enough to adjust much.
Also try singing a little Chubby Checker as you launch. :P

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
wldkrd1

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 12:25 PM

Ok, I'll spend some time mucking with the lines, probably sunday. Thanks for the advice, good to know I've found the right wind conditions and can focus on the piece I can actually control.

PL Hornet 3.0
PKD Buster 4.0m
Prism Synapse (140, 170)
Prism Hypnotist
Prism Flashlight
Prism Nexus
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ed Cline  
When a twister gets up and sits back down it's the power lines, number 2 and 3 that need shortening. You'll do it at the handle because the pigtail at the kite isn't long enough to adjust much.
Also try singing a little Chubby Checker as you launch. :P

I am thinking if it is the bridle and it is stalling you want to lengthen B ( 2? ) C ( 3? ) and Z ( the brakes ) for it to fly farther forward in the window ??? I don't claim to be the king of bridle adjustment though.

Ken (K2)
Ed Cline

Mood: Truth, Justice, and The American Way.

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:04 PM

Numbers 2 and 3 refer to the line number tags PL uses directly on the lines and again on the handles. If the little tags have gone missing it's the 2 orange power lines.
This treatment was needed on my 3m and 7.7m Twister. Kites. I don't remember if the 5.5 needed it or not.

Flying mostly single skins, with some orphans, the American flag, and a PL buggy. US01
wldkrd1

[*] posted on 22-10-2018 at 09:30 AM

Ok, so I finally got around to flying again yesterday. There were two problems: One power line was about 3/4" longer than the other, a quick knot in the sleeving brought them back to the same length, and the brake lines were attached at a higher knot on the handles than they should have been, making them too tight. Once that was resolved, I flew it in 8-10mph at the beach and it behaved great. Responsive, powerful, dragged me all over.

PL Hornet 3.0
PKD Buster 4.0m
Prism Synapse (140, 170)
Prism Hypnotist
Prism Flashlight
Prism Nexus

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio