Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New England for Static kiting - Maybe landboarding

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 12:56 PM
New England for Static kiting - Maybe landboarding

Hi all. In Early June I'll be in New England for a meeting and have one day free (with a car). I fly in/out of Boston and travel up to New London area. I am asking whether anyone knows of good kite areas/beaches around here?

i have visited the beaches of Cape Ann Peninsula before, but never kited. I can't recall if the sand was hard or soft, and also if there are any regulations? It will be a Friday. Any advice much appreciated.

If I can pack them, I'll probably bring a quiver of three kites (2.5, 5, 8m), but packing the board will be a much bigger deal, so will only bother if I know there is kiteable hard-pack beaches around.

Cheers!
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 01:44 PM

Nahant beach is close to Boston and a great place.

But in summer the beach is typically crowded with people, except on cool weather days. You may find an area with room to static fly, but riding on anything will be less likely with a crowd.

Also there may be opportunity in early evening when people have left for dinner or had enough sun.

Good hardpack and reasonably wide lane in LOW TIDE ,or within 2- 3 hours before or after low tide. But again, you need cool weather with no crowd during day, right wind directions...

East and West winds both work- and slight variations- for full one mile + beach runs because beach is on a spit sticking in the bay.

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 03:23 PM

Thanks Skim. I've just been doing some googling. Quite a few vids of Nahant.
So at low tide the beach is hard enough for kiteboarding?

I will be there on June 15th. A Friday. Is this already classed as vacation?

Online tides predictor suggest massive tidal range on that day. As low as minus 1.8ft. (How much beach will that create at Nahant?) But timed at 7am and 7pm. Flight out of Boston is at 10pm.
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 04:28 PM

Yes, sand is hard enough.

'Vacation' time has already started.

If low tide is 7am that day, you could ride(very) early. Crowds start coming on hot days and by 9am or so , FILL the parking lot...

Sun 's up early (5 am)... wind may not.. but if it is already blowing ... it's possible to get 2, maybe 3 good hours if you are there a little after sunrise. I've done it that early with mostly empty beach, that in mid/ late morning... was jammed.

This may be best option and you'll catch your flight back rather than push it with evening ride and rush to airport.

Also hope the beach is mostly free of RED TIDE.. You may not want to ride through that. Odds are in your favor but it still happens on occasion.

A Dunkin' Donuts is at the end of beach for convenience. 'How To Stuff a Wild Bikini' shows starts by late morning.:smilegrin:

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 07:50 AM

Thanks skim - I'm considering the logistics of whether to try to make this happen. Need a board bag, and a very early start! Thanks for tip-off about Red tides (and the bikinis) - sounds nasty!

Do you know much about the coastal area North of Boston?
I was looking at satellite images of the coast starting at Hampton beach state Park (NH) at the North down through Plum Island (MA) and on to Crane Beach and Wingaersheek beach? The latter look like they will be pretty areas to visit even if wind/beach is not playing ball.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Plum+Island/@42.7802227,-7...
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 48K  

I was looking at satellite images of the coast starting at Hampton beach state Park (NH) at the North down through Plum Island (MA) and on to Crane Beach and Wingaersheek beach? The latter look like they will be pretty areas to visit even if wind/beach is not playing ball.

The sand at Plumb Island will not work for an ATB and part of the area up there is wildlife conservation land so you might not even be able to fly kites when on the reservation. Hampton is a mob scene - I wouldn't even try it during the beach going hours. I've never kited at Crane's or Wingaersheek but don't think that would be appreciated on those beaches.

You could try Ogunquit or York Maine. The sand is similar to Nahant but York stays more wet. You can kite at Ogunquit on the sand spit by the parking lot and ride if want to walk down to the left off of the protected beach. Low tide only.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
TEDWESLEY

Mood: cat-like,I stalk the wind, finding little, I nap.

[*] posted on 15-5-2018 at 05:45 AM

You've got two problems in June (we call it the off season) people and plovers. You might find an area to static fly, but anything moving is unlikely due to the oiled up speed bumps. The plovers are a separate problem. Don't even think about any activity in an area marked for an active plover nest, you're talking federal guys who will threaten all kinds of retribution. There are many citizen plover police who will gladly call attention to you. That's our reality I'm afraid. Come back in the fall and we can show you a good time!

Reactors 2.8 3.5 6.9
Peaks 4m 6m 12m
HQ Neo2 11m Ozone Chrono V2 15m WASP 5m
Flexi wide axle w/mids and runners
Skis Nordic skates and winter stuff
Quatro Wing Foilboard Slingshot Foils
NAPKA US06

[*] posted on 9-6-2018 at 10:45 PM

Well, I am on my way and have packed a quiver of kites (a novelty for me!) but not my board. If any of you see a lonely static flyer on a New England beach this coming Friday that may be me..2.5m/5m Blurrs and a white/teal 8m reactor just in case the wind is super light. Cheers!
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 08:51 AM

What time are you on the beach?
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 02:50 PM

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 04:24 AM

Depends on wind, but since I do not have my board, i am Most likely to head to east coast Plum Island and explore over that way during the day on Friday rather than head straight back to the built up suburbs of Boston. I may then head to Nahant late afternoon, but will need to be packed up by 7pm. Flight at 10pm.
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 04:20 PM

Looking ahead at Fri. forecast for Nahant...

For a morning session, the wind will be blowing parallel to shore , unfortunately.... so not good for riding, anyway... okay for scudding, jumping or static.

Beach will be deserted early morning...and.... if it will be cool temps all day, it may be fairly empty through whole day.

May turn on shore mid afternoon for a few hours though, but drop to lower wind speeds. I may show up in afternoon, if conditions look reasonable.

skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 04:21 PM

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 12:47 PM

I am about 1 hour from Nahant. What do you think Skim?
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 02:17 PM

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 02:24 PM

I have just arrived at Singing Beach NorthEast of Nyhant. gentle onshore beach. Hard pack sand and almost empty. Shame I have no board haha!
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 02:53 PM

Never been but I see it's right facing for wind direction(SE) to get on-shores... grab something from locals with wheels( ?):lol:...or just fly static and enjoy...

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 02:56 PM

Wind has dropped here. Gorgeous beach/evening though!

[*] posted on 15-6-2018 at 03:02 PM

domdino

[*] posted on 17-1-2021 at 06:13 PM

Hey all! Dunno if anyone is very active on this forum anymore but wondering if anyone wants to do some winter kiting this year, or if not some summer kiting! I moved to NH a couple of years ago and haven't met many kiters yet, I'm usually alone kiting on the beaches near portsmouth but give me a shout if you're out and about!
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-1-2021 at 07:07 AM

Nahant is still one of the main places to be for both land and water kiting (Revere beach also for water). I haven't gotten out much myself and I hear Covid is keeping the beaches more crowded than normal this time of year with walkers. But I would like to think that I will be going as soon as conditions permit. I'm not as much a fan of kiting in the cold as I was 10 years ago.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio