Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anastasia ...St. Augustine 2018
mystainedskin

[*] posted on 27-8-2018 at 12:36 PM
Anastasia ...St. Augustine 2018

After a day of flying Friday... 8am arrival.... Park rangers asked at 5 PM to give a minimum of 200f clearance on any turtle nest... even more so...avoid riding until after turtle nesting season, which starts in March and ends in October. Some of the nest are not in the dunes as normal and closer to traffic and tidal areas.
1st Leatherback nest in years in the area.
I believe most nesting locations were near boardwalk and public foot traffic areas. Those that have had a ride here know the beach is pretty much empty past these locations.
A direct quote from Ranger was "We enjoy having you here and want you to have fun"
So please be mindful and respectful if you happen to be in the area for a ride :) We don't want to spoil that outlook.

NAPKA #US904
Viper/ 2.6 Viper S/ 3.9/5.3
Peter Lynn Phantom 6/9/9/12/15/18
Peter Lynn Venom 13
Peter Lynn XR+
Peter Lynn Drifter
Mg Edge
Elliot Virus
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-8-2018 at 02:02 PM

Thanks for posting that. I've often thought of going there but was concerned that kite buggy might not be welcome. Despite the March-October season - its good news that we are welcome.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-8-2018 at 06:50 AM

It's a top 5 favorite place I've ridden.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
Gravityguy

[*] posted on 28-8-2018 at 09:37 AM

Hey....that is a good topic.....

PL Venom 8m, 10m & 16m, PL S-Arc 460, PL T-ARC 130
HQ Montana 9.5m HQ Beamer3 3.0, HQ Rush 250
Prism Tensor 5.0
PL Competition Standard Buggy
(Rev B Series, Various Duel Line Stunt Kites & Single Line)
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 02:46 PM

Anastasia is my go-to buggy spot. The rangers are positive. The crowds are thin if you walk a little bit. I'm glad I was able to join you last week, Scott.

I have a couple other bits of feedback from the rangers. They don't like you flushing the birds. Typically the flocks of concern hang out only at the far north end, so no big deal. Just cede the last 200 yards to the birds and everyone's happy.

The bigger effect is from the bird nesting season. The last time I encountered nesting birds, they asked that we not fly next to the staked-off nesting areas. They don't want anyone overflying the nesting areas or buggying in front of them. It makes sense to me. The young birds are venturing out from the nest and walking down to the water. We saw them as we walked past. They are more fearless than their parents. We still got to fly, but we had to walk down a lot further. Be prepared to walk if the birds are nesting. IIRC, this was in early March.

Philip

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
mystainedskin

[*] posted on 14-9-2018 at 12:32 AM

I have recently ridden at Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park in Jacksonville also. 3 total sessions/days of several hours a piece. No issues..and only 1 turtle nest on the entire stretch that I spotted.
Beach changed to ledges and a large slope in areas with the approach of Florence..tides higher than normal...but still fun at low tide.:thumbup:
Low tide and proper wind could yield some long rides throughout the park (which is about 2.5 miles I think) and beyond south to Jax pier outside park boundaries. Not sure of local public beach laws or issues with kite buggies, but sure I will find out soon enough.:)
This parks beach gets crowded in season..along with stretches of the public beach...but off days or winter season brings empty beaches and many opportunities for fun.
Also 2 non boardwalk entrances inside the park..making the roll in and out super easy :) Showers..bathrooms or portables available at parking areas. Lots of parking..if that's an issue, beach is crowded. $5 entrance fee as with most Florida parks.

NAPKA #US904
Peter Lynn Venom 13
Peter Lynn XR+
Peter Lynn Drifter
Mg Edge
Elliot Virus
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 04:46 AM

BTW - what wind directions work best in these spots?

NPW Test Pilot -US99
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 18-9-2018 at 06:59 PM

Hannah Park would be best easiest with an East wind. Anastasia would be easiest with ENE. How far you want to deviate from ideal depends on how far up wind you can point and how much you like to tack.

Where's home, Randy? Do you want to do a meet up?

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-9-2018 at 05:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm in Atlanta. I've been to Anastasia several times many years ago for windsurfing. Love to go back so it is on my wish list.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
mystainedskin

[*] posted on 19-9-2018 at 09:35 PM

Speaking of ENE....cough. :D
:thumbup: maybe some Jax riding tomorrow.
I have had tons of fun on westerly winds @ Huguenot. The marsh and river opening provide a sweet, smooth over the water ride. Just need the right tides and no crowds to utilize the length of the beach.My ideal time for those is early mornings...usually only a fisherman or 2 around. This is a drive on beach and most park waters edge...

NAPKA #US904
Peter Lynn Venom 13
Peter Lynn XR+
Peter Lynn Drifter
Mg Edge
Elliot Virus

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio