Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First day on the water
SecondWind
Posting Freak

thumbup.gif posted on 29-4-2007 at 07:36 PM
First day on the water

Just got back from my first water session.

The winds were 16 to about 22 mph and I used the 10m P3. I was able to get up and ride after a few times dipping it into the powerzone to get the feel of the board under my feet.

I did a downwinder down the lake the first time and then I walked back to my starting point. I was able to stay my ground the second go round (not really getting up wind).

Overall, it was a blast. :spin:

I also got a feel for the height you can get on water – it feels so good knowing it’s not hard ground underneath you.

Had to relaunch the kite a few times - no problems and the kite never took in any noticeable water.

Ended up dumping my board once in the air - it was really up wind of me. I didn’t have much luck body dragging back to it. I body dragged to shore and then had to retrieve the board.

I know leashes are not OK, but it sure would have been nice to get my board back – good thing it was a small lake.

Stayed heelside the entire time. Next time out I’ll give toeside a shot.

I think being familiar with the kite was a major player in me getting going the first day. Learning to fly and kiteboard in the same session would be really difficult.

I’m hooked :yes:

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 08:16 PM

Sounds like you will have it dialed in the water in record time ! :cool:
I think there may be a clip at kitefilm.com on proper upwind body dragging position. Lots of good lesson clips there. Basically you want to get the kite running at the edge and about 11 O'clock or 10. You don't need to be moving along very fast. Stick your underwater arm up and forward creating a straight line pointing on an upwind angle with your whole body. Using everything from your hand to toe as a rudder. Tack up and back until you are above your board. Even if you can just hold ground that way the board will eventually pass you.

I can body drag goooood I just wish I could SURF !!! :duh: :(

P.S. If your were relaunching on water that was over you head the 1st time out I am truly IMPRESSED with your kite skills :cool: :cool2:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Pablo
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 08:36 PM

Pssssstttttt, He's on a Flysurfer, not a tube.:evil:

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
leebrianh

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 03:06 AM

Good job, DaVinch! Glad to hear that you are having fun on water. I bet you will be able to do jumping in your next session :-)

Call me lazy but I am getting tired of pumping tubes and worring about bladers. Yesterday, when I came back to shore, I realized that leading edge blader air was leaking. Could have been in trouble if I went far.

So, I am thinking about getting a Flysurfer kite. I just posted a question about Flysurfer kites. Should have posted here actually..... - Brian
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 09:21 AM

Are you needing a wet or dry suit or just out in a bathing suit?

Good job - I only live about an hour from the ocean :spin: but only seem to be able to get there on vacations :(

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
Pssssstttttt, He's on a Flysurfer, not a tube.:evil:

Yup, :puzzled:

That is why I'm so impressed with the relaunches !! :puzzled:

The body drag position stuff applies to any kite :puzzled:
:evil:

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 11:00 AM

It was 85F out yesterday, so I just went out with booties and swim trunks.

Handling the kite on water felt a lot like on land, so relaunching was pretty easy.

Not sure about the lines and bar floating Brian - I really did not pay that much attention to them. I did get in one really nice jump (way higher than I've been on land) :smilegrin:

My water starts with my left foot forward (like the way I typically ride a skateboard) were much easier.

Sure looks good today - hopefully I can get out there soon.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 05:23 PM

My manual clearly says not to pull against the kite or it will scoop water . So guess what I did 1st time out without thinking 1st :duh: ?
Second time out I was in shallow water. I stood up and then realised the tide was coming in fast and once again I had a sea anchor instead of a kite :duh: :duh:
The P2 didn't come with O.S. handles but John surprised me with a set on mine. ( sweet, thanks ! ) This should help A LOT with relaunch !

Jumping on your 1st day out ! THAT IS amazing. I'm not sure I've ever heard someone cross over and do that well ! It sounds like you'll be doing handle passes before the lake freezes. :cool:

Ken (K2)
leebrianh

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 05:40 PM

Jumping during in your first water session? What's next, Kite Loop??? You are amazing, DaVinch! By the way, snowbird, what's O.S. Handles? - Brian
Pablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 06:07 PM

Oh S##t handles?

All the vids of the FS relaunch on the newer ones looks amazing, I remember spending quite a bit of time trying to flip my 4 line tube over, Bet you didn't know a LEI can bowtie. First time out I spent 6 hrs in the water, 5 hrs of it was with the kite in the water with me, less than 1 hr of flying time. I never did get a good ride out of that kite.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 06:46 PM

Thanks guys -

I think mountainboarding really helped moving to water, but I still have lots to learn!

As for jumping, it was the same technique as on land but the speed was greater so the air was much better.

I think the kite has a lot to do with it also. With just a slight redirection from 1030 to 1 o’clock and a pull of the bar gets you airborne with this kite.

I forgot to mention that I used the 7m Pulse first, but I was underpowered when the gusts were over. It's really user friendly and relaunching in the water was a piece of cake. :thumbup:

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 08:30 PM

O.S. handles are reinforced loops you can pull ( rather than yank lines ) to reverse your kite when landing, re-launching or going OH S:wow:T with a depower foil !

Davinch, I'm already bored thinking about what you'll pull off on water. I'm on to thinking about what you will take back to the snow next year. WATCH OUT :o It all kind of runs full circle !

Ken (K2)
powerzone

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 12:23 PM

for all learners out there....Body dragging is by far more important to learn than getting up or jumping your first few times out.... i know its hard to be patient when learning, but if you can't body drag it will catch up to you in no time and you'll pay one way or another for cutting corners.

a tweak to Snowbirds advice.... for me it works better to stick one arm directly down into the water like a dagger-board with my hand flat and straight. arch your back, point your toes and keep legs together. keep power in the kite so you remain moving. in super light wind, and with FS kites, it also works to just totally depower the kite at zenith and backstroke back to the board.

glad to hear you're becoming a kite-surfer DaVinch.... you're a real go-getter!
domdino

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 12:31 PM

Hey mate

You should check out what my buddy fred did to his flysurfer psycho 13m, he's added some pullys which help the turning speed of the kite (even more!) would be really good on the 17m i thinks?

You can see what he dun here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JubhBvhxj1w

Flies absolutely beautifully...

SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 02:44 PM

Thanks for the vid Domdino - that 13 is turning pretty fast!

powerzone

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 12:19 PM

one thing i Love about FS kites is the low bar pressure..... that vid looks like the bar pressure is increased much more.....
Kiteboarder2B

Mood: Feeling like surfin\' the dirt baby! Who\'s coming with me!?

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 02:44 PM

Kitewing has come out with their new water wings and this thread had had me dying to get one and get on the water. Unfortunately, Lake Mead is not for beginners and I hear that the windchop at Lake Mojave is still pretty prevalent. If only I lived close to a bay. Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for Ivanpah:smilegrin:

If you think it\'s hard explaining HOW something works, try explaining WHY it doesn\'t work.

Sportin\' a Kitewing Monofilm Rage 5.5 (my go to sail), Kitewing Dacron IV8

10m Flysurfer Psycho 2 (incoming and my wallet outgoing), 5m PKD Buster, 4.8 NPW, 3.6m Ballistic Burner, 3m Skytiger, 2.1m Little Devil, 1m IMP

Surfin\' the dirt on a 16\" Flexi Freestyle Dirtsurfer with Hookworms, MBS F3 bindings, Dakine stomppads, and a custom Trampa deck (my go to board)

20\" GP-X Dirtsurfer
16\" GP Freestyle Dirtsurfer
MBS Atom Longboard

PL Comp ST
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-10-2007 at 08:48 PM

Maybe a longboard for next summer?

Check this out: http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t164/moroni-10/?action=view&current=soul2-1.flv

Pablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-10-2007 at 12:55 PM

Actually looks like a lot of fun, also probably a wicked low wind solution. The board will probably float you on it's own even when not moving.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio