Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip to ivanpah questions
kteguru

smile.gif posted on 31-7-2023 at 09:28 AM
Trip to ivanpah questions

I know there's only a few of us in here but I thought you guys might be able to help. I'm planing on driving out to Ivanpah for spring of 2024 and I had a couple questions.
I've noticed in a few video's that some people use a blue tarp for launching and landing to minimize wear on the kite presumably. How well does this work and how do you keep it in place effectively? I'm familiar with the pool noodle/rebar trick. Those are already in the kite bag, but was wondering what the story was with the tarps.

Also, perhaps most importantly, is if anyone had advice regarding "best routes" for driving across the country? I'm in NH. Google shows primarily two routes. One coming from the northeast and using a more northerly route across colorado and utah. The other goes further south across texas and arizona. Both are about 41 hours so no difference there. I couldn't find anything online which is why I'm asking. I'm assuming the route through colorado is going up through the mountains and the other goes through the desert. Any preferences? More enjoyable drive one way or the other? Things to stop at along the way? Any thoughts or opinions?
Thanks for the help:cool::thumbup::thumbup:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 09:32 AM

Since no one else has answered and I've been through some of the mountains in Colorado and Utah I'll say this. Depends on whether you are comfortable with driving in the mountains. There is a lot of great scenery but you may be too occupied with the driving to enjoy it. There are places with steep grades for example. Some spots for viewing but not all that many. The drivers there are used to mountain driving and ignore speed limits like people do everywhere else. One interesting point - at higher altitude you can use lower octane gas. I don't recall seeing 87 octane for sale anywhere until we went to Colorado and New Mexico. The Interstates are generally the easiest roads to drive. Some interesting places along the way, particularly if you get off the freeways.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
kteguru

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for weighing in Randy. Much appreciated! I've been all over the US but always flew. I'm bringing several buggies to ivanpah so it's time to drive. Everyone needs to visit the dry lakes at least once in life:). Hopefully it'll be an enjoyable drive out there.
Thanks agian:thumbup:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 12:30 PM

One place I wish we would have visited, but didn't have time was the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado. Sand sledding (or sand boarding) seemed like it might be a lot of fun. It is a ways off the beaten path though.

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/sandboardingsandsledd...

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 12:33 PM

We did visit the Echo Amphitheater in New Mexico. One of the most amazing areas I've ever seen. Not sure if that would be on your way though.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/echo-amphitheatre

NPW Test Pilot -US99
RedSky
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2023 at 11:39 PM

That's going to be an amazing road trip kteguru!!!

This is going to be an adventure all by itself! You could make a stunning video documenting your drive to the buggying Mecca by highlighting all the states you pass through, attractions, scenery, stopovers, time-lapses etc and every little detail. Use an aminated map in your video to show your progress.

I did a similar trip back in 97. Picked up a brand new hire car in NJ with just 4 miles on the clock and handed it over in San Fransisco with 15,000 miles. Zigzag'd the country from north and south from east to west. 22 states in 3 months.

Wish I had spent more time in the Appalachia region but we were in too much of a rush. It would be a shame if you raced across the country. If you have the time, it would be worth travelling at a more leisurely pace.

If it were me, I would take the route north. You could do a side trip to Alvord out of Boise, then Lake Tahoe. I regularly fly out of Boise into Jackson Hole in Microsoft Flight simulator, this part of the world is stunning.

And then, of course, Ivanpah itself! Wow, I'm very envious.

jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 01:14 AM

Ooowww sooooo jealous!!!
Have a great one at Ivanpah and the road to and back.

kteguru

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 09:41 AM

Thanks Jantie and Redsky! I hope it will be a great trip out and back. I always wanted to go to ivanpah but could never set aside the time, but now I can.

I wish I could make a doumentary but my skill in doing so is precisely zero. However, if you can get some time off work Red, you're more than welcome to join me and do the video along the way. All you need to do is fly into Boston which is 60 min. away from me and I will pick you up at the airport on the way! I've got more than enough equipment for both of us :thumbup:. All you need is your harness. Kite trip party all the way:D. We could see how many states we can buggy in along the way without getting arrested:lol:.

Maybe I'll catch part of Appalachia on my way back since I've been thinking about that anyway. You had me going when you said you regularly fly out of Boise,,,,til I read 'in flight simulator':lol::lol:.
RedSky
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-8-2023 at 06:57 PM

You're a no-good schemer kteguru. I see right through your plans. Yes, you'll hide my passport and have me as your personal kite squire. I'll be keeping shade for you under an umbrella while you swig back another jug of ice-cold brew and between rides you'll have me holding down the tarp.

Windstruck had me cleaning his house for six months before I made my escape. I'm not falling for that again.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=36996#pid33...

kteguru

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 07:22 AM

You got me Redsky;). How did you figure out my evil plan! Argh, foiled again!:lol:

Since I need a kite squire I'll just have to sweeten the deal with a custom Vision buggy special for the great Redsky. Perhaps you'd like something curvacious or maybe something angular and deadly looking? How about an asymmetrical buggy? Maybe one with hubcentric steering? I know your drooling just thinking about the possibilities :megan::lol:

The offers open if you want it :smug:. Or just meet us out on the dry lake :moon:

Cheers

RedSky
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 11:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kteguru  
You got me Redsky;). How did you figure out my evil plan! Argh, foiled again!:lol:

Since I need a kite squire I'll just have to sweeten the deal with a custom Vision buggy special for the great Redsky. Perhaps you'd like something curvacious or maybe something angular and deadly looking? How about an asymmetrical buggy? Maybe one with hubcentric steering? I know your drooling just thinking about the possibilities :megan::lol:

The offers open if you want it :smug:. Or just meet us out on the dry lake :moon:

Cheers

That would be an amazing experience. Getting a break from work is another story. Self-employed with no staff to cover my work, it would take some planning to ride along with you. There's still time. My last holiday was in fact a long weekend at Ivanpah back in 2011 with a 20-hour round-trip flight thrown into the mix. Not had a day off since. :(

It might be possible to fly into McCarran and meet up at Ivanpah and maybe have a cheeky ride in your buggy.

Joking aside, that was very generous of you to offer me a whirlwind tour of the U.S. with that curvacious chick and share your buggies and even pick me up from the airport!!!! That's crazy! I tip my hat to you. Thank you!

jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 7-8-2023 at 03:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RedSky  
You're a no-good schemer kteguru. I see right through your plans. Yes, you'll hide my passport and have me as your personal kite squire. I'll be keeping shade for you under an umbrella while you swig back another jug of ice-cold brew and between rides you'll have me holding down the tarp.

Windstruck had me cleaning his house for six months before I made my escape. I'm not falling for that again.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=36996#pid33...

:D:D:D:D:D

Jack.Oh

[*] posted on 23-8-2023 at 06:54 AM

Dean that sound like a great trip... One day I may plan it too..

By than you will be an expert and be able to give all the details.

Are you going to make it to WBB this fall?

Oct. 8th - 15th

US417
Custom buggy "Zephyr II"
Pansh A15 9m, 12m, 15m
Pansh Genesis 4m, 6m
kteguru

[*] posted on 23-8-2023 at 05:27 PM

Probably won't be able to make WW this fall Jack. I'll be doing 3 weeks for Ivanpah in the spring. I will be meeting Mike in a couple days to give him Daniel's new buggy though. You will have to get some pics of him buggying on his own for the first time. :wee:
Jack.Oh

[*] posted on 24-8-2023 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kteguru  
Probably won't be able to make WW this fall Jack. I'll be doing 3 weeks for Ivanpah in the spring. I will be meeting Mike in a couple days to give him Daniel's new buggy though. You will have to get some pics of him buggying on his own for the first time. :wee:

Dean you will be missed.. Ennes will probably have plenty of pictures. But, I will try to get a few..

US417
Custom buggy "Zephyr II"
Pansh A15 9m, 12m, 15m
Pansh Genesis 4m, 6m
bugymangp

[*] posted on 27-8-2023 at 08:12 PM

Hey guru
Check your U2U

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio