Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just starting
sajego

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 17-4-2004 at 07:40 PM
Just starting

I've been skating forever, and this is my second summer flying kites.

I wanted to try skiing and kiting this winter, but the snow melted before I got up north to do it (I'm in NJ.. lots of sand and ocean but not much snow).

I finally got up the courage to put wheels on my feet. There's a big field about 10 miles from my house... at least, I used to think it was big, after being pulled across it 3 times I'm not so sure it's big enough!

Anyway, I wasn't moving very fast. I just used my normal inline skates on the grass. It was good because I am totally comfortable on these skates and didn't have to think about the ground or turning at all. But I couldn't go upwind or even across the wind all that well.

What I'm wondering about is what should my next step be? I have a SkyTiger 26 for my kite but I think something bigger would be good now that I'm not trying to stay in one place while I fly it.

My friend loaned me a pair of the rollerblade coyote skates but I've heard they're not that great for kite skating. I'm going to try them next time though.

I have so many other things competing for my time (kayaking, saxophone, school, work) that I don't think I'd ever finish building a pair of doomwheels... maybe Some Day...

Maybe some skis for the beach.
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 09:39 AM

Coyotes may not be the best for off-road kiteskating, but they will be a big improvement over street skates. At least you will enjoy a smoother ride and be better able to hold your sailing line. The bigger and fatter the tire, the smoother and faster the ride.

When kiteskating with small(er) wheels, large kites are not an advantage. They will likely pull you downwind more than across. Go big enough to provide you steady power, but not too big that you can't return to where you started from.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio