Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 10" vs. 12" wheels for kiteskates
Jyl63

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 07:01 PM
10" vs. 12" wheels for kiteskates

We built a pair of doomwheels using 10" bicycle wheels from a toddler bike. We bought the bikes at garage sales, or I noticed Walmart in the US sells the bikes for about $30 which is cheaper than buying wheels seperately. I don't know if they are available in the UK. We were worried the 12" height would be hard to move around on without the kite's pull. After using the skates we built, I think 12" wheels would work. So far they have held up, but have not used them very much. We've learned you need hard surfaces to skate on and only have fields and semi-soft beaches to use here.
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 7-5-2004 at 01:33 AM

Quote:
We were worried the 12" height would be hard to move around on without the kite's pull...
To be clear... the wheel diameter that I use is 8 inch and the diameter of wheel and tire complete is 12 inch.

This allows plenty of ground clearance when leaning against the pull of the kite. There are times when I lean over far enough to touch a finger to the ground and if I had less clearance, the side of the skate would hit the ground. It's true that the large wheels feel a bit awkward while standing or skating around without the kite (not much time spent do this however), but when rolling along with a kite, it feels perfectly balanced.

I often skate at the beach though I prefer grass or hard ground. Sand can be difficult if it is very soft, but stay near the water's edge and it is much easier. Also fatter wheels may help. I am currently building a set with larger, fatter wheels just for fun.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio