Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the modification costs
modderer

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 05:53 AM
the modification costs

hi,

how much will the modifikation (inlineskat to wheels of doom) approximately cost?
and can they be used to skate cross country (without a kite)?

thanks in advance

modderer
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 09:07 AM

I paid about $30 for used rental skateboots, $10-15 for nuts, bolts and spacers, $30 for 2 used kids scooters (for the wheels), and $40 for 4 iron rods with holes drilled by a machine shop.

Later, I added sealed packed bearings and puncture-resistant tubes. They've lasted 13 years now.

How to build your own kiteskates:
http://www.doomwheels.com/articles/buildwod.php

If you plan to use them as off-road skates, better think about adding a brake!

modderer

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 12:45 PM
---

how heavy are your selfmade doomwheels?
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 02:30 PM

30lbs if I remember correctly. But before you think it, weight is NOT a bad thing. As we have found with buggying, weight helps add traction and momentum which in turn produces more speed.

My next set will be heavier with bigger wheels.

dufter

[*] posted on 17-11-2004 at 11:09 AM

Mine were under CAD$100. I used my existing rollerblade boots and built them myself in my friend's garage. He has a drill press which is essential. The raw steel is about $10-$15. Take your time building them and don’t try to get fancy. Follow the plans. There is a reason for everything mentioned in the plans. Trying to shape the rails, lighten the weight, or lower the centre of gravity will not add to the functionality of the skates, will take way more time to build, and will likely cause more problems in the end. Mine are awesome and I just did what was suggested.

As for using the skates for cross-country...I actually forgot my gloves in the van when I went doom wheeling last Sunday but only realized it after I already had my skates on. I very easily skated over to the van which was about 200 meters away. I was skating on a soccer field. Next spring I will definitely be using them on old fire roads through the forest for a workout. I may think of some sort of a braking mechanism before then but I am not too concerned about it since the paths I have in mind are flat for the most part.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio