Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Naples, Florida - Kitesurfing lessons?
kiteNH

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 10:58 AM
Naples, Florida - Kitesurfing lessons?

I'm going to be on vacation in Naples, Florida next week and was wondering if anyone can recommend a kite surfing/boarding shop that does lessons. I searched around a little bit and have found a couple surf shops I can try calling but would like to know if anyone can recommend a reputable dealer/instructor for a lesson.

I'd love to rent a kite for some static beach flying as well because I'm not sure I want to bother packing any kites without knowing if I'll even have any wind when I'm there. Not sure if there are any places that do this.

Any additional information/recommendations on kiting in the Naples, FL area would be great as well and very much appreciated.:thumbup:

powerzone

[*] posted on 5-1-2008 at 10:05 PM

there is a good kitesurfing and windsurfing shop in Ft Meyers Florida.... about 1 hour north of Naples.

Roy Massey at Ace Performer on McGregor Blvd in Ft Meyers.

Former Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center
kiteNH

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a rental car there so I think I'll give him a call.

I looked into it a bit more and found that I'd need about 3 lessons and quite a bit of $ to actually get out on a board. I don't think I have that much time because I'll only be there for a few days or the money to invest. Still I'll give them a call to discuss my prior beginner experience and see if I can do one intermediate lesson just to get some experience.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 09:16 AM

I never travel without my 3m. It hardly takes up any room and I usually find someplace to pull it out.

If you have an opportunity for a lesson, GO FOR IT ! It will springboard you to a new level !

Be sure and get an IKO or PKRA card. When I started out they didn't exist and I ended up spending a LOT of time proving my level to different intrustors. Without proof of previous lessons I think they are obliged to start at step 1.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
kiteNH

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 12:44 PM

I'll definitely bring the 3m. I may bring my 5m Riot if I can find room in my suitcase as well because I've hardly had a chance to fly it yet. No wind around lately.

Sounds like a may need to do the beginner lesson. I didn't realize that there was a set of standards like this. If I'm going to have to start out with "step 1" it's nice to know that it's transferable.

Honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get too into kite boarding because the ocean is so damn cold around here. I'd have really really catch the bug for that as well. What I'd really like is some training and experience with a Flysurfer or maybe a PL twinskin because I'm interested in flying them on snow. I'm sure that getting instruction on using a harness and flying a larger kite with depower will be very helpful even if I don't end up on the water.

powerzone

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 06:03 PM

Ace Performer will only teach on LEI kites... just so you know...

there are only afew schools out there who teach both, otherwise the market is totally dominated by tube classes.

Roy is a very nice guy and most of the stuff you'll learn will be transferable over to foil-kiteboarding.

you can most likely bypass the beginner lesson.... its how to fly a kite. that skill you obviously have down well... all he needs to see is that you can fly a kite good and know about wind, power, and flying.

you should be able to do the 2nd class which is flying a Sheetable Depower kite and then body dragg in the nice florida water and perhaps hop onto a board at the end of the day.

good luck, and have a great time. the Sanibel Causway is one of the sweetest kite spots i've been to!

Former Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2008 at 10:20 AM

If you are mostly interested in being a self sufficient, safe land kiter be sure and mention that going in. They may adjust some of their methods to better suit your needs. In my experience, they will run you through the basics even if you know them so going straight to grade 2 isn't likely to happen. You won't be needing the 3rd lesson. It is more about staying on your surf board and getting upwind. The card will prove your level so you don't get bumped back if you ever decide to go the water route.

The body dragging with an lei will actually be very valuable and a safe way to get that experience. The getting up and going is very similar on a snowboard.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio