Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Montana 3 review
dirkdiggler

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 01:22 AM
Montana 3 review

I had the chance to grab the new 2008 HQ Montana 3. This time I ended up with both the 9.5 and 12.5 versions of the kite. Decided to do another review based upon the fact I don't see many people out riding what I think is a good kite. The kite comes RTF including bag, strap, video on flying, and a field card that explains how to reset the QR, diagrams of the bridle, wind speed recommendations and such.

The bag is the same as lasts years, but different colors. This years is red while last year I got blue bags. The are nicely built with pockets for extra stuff and straps to carry your board or skis. The bag will fit two, maybe three of the new Montanas, so it is of ample size.

The first thing you will notice about this years Montana's is the fabric. They got rid of that stiff material and went with a lighter, waterproof material. In light winds with the 12.5 Montana's, I would have problems keeping the kite in the air. It wanted to fly, but at low, low wind speeds there wasn't enough to keep the cells inflated. I always thought this was because of the material's stiffness. Not that you would likely want to kite in those conditions, but I'd see other kites at least stay in the air longer. This new thinner material makes it up to par with the others. The kite fills faster and easier on launching and stays that way in the lightest of winds. Another bonus is the kites will pack down much smaller, making it easy to pack up or add another kite into your bag. I couldn't find out what the older Montana's were made of, but the new stuff is 40d-Nylon for those in the know. All I can say is this was a much needed upgrade and I'm glad they made the change.
Next thing you'll see is that they added another pulley to the bridle setup. I'm going to try and add some pics later to show you what I'm talking about, but off the center lines is a pulley that connects to the normal pulley setup in a loop. This allows for even more depower with less backstall. I've tried making this setup on converting an older two line kite and in theory I thought this was the best design for a foil depower system. One pulley only does so much and the UDS was definite overkill.
I tried laying both last years 9.5 out on top of this years to see what differences I could see. Easier said then done. I needed a bigger room to do it! From what I could see, last years was a bit taller with shorter span and the tips were different, more pointed with years being rounded. The aspect ratios are still listed the same at 4.2, but there are differences. The bridle points have also changed. Cells are also listed the same as last year at 22, but the Montana 3 has the first cell closer to the wingtip and some of the cells are also larger.

As for the bar, no noticable changes and the same dyneema lines.

So how does this thing handle? I've had a few sessions in light winds, gusty winds and a stronger winds on the 9.5 and when the 12.5 came I got a few lighter sessions on it. I was surprised how much more I liked the newer version. HQ has a winner with this one. Their first version was usable, last years was much better and this years has all the right things going for it. I had problems with the wingtips folding on the others when I would dive the kite hard and I have only had this once on the Montana 3 due to some crosswinds. Such an improvement! This allows you to use a smaller kite and generate all kinds of power by turning the kite hard. On the Montana 2 you could feel like the kite wanted to pull you, but the wingtip would fold before you could really get going. This time you can constantly have the power in lighter winds. I was out snowkiting in sub 10mph winds in powder on the 9.5. (My first session on the kite and the light wind session!) I was not
breaking any speed records or jumping, but I could get going and cruise around while looping the kite. I watched another guy struggling to get his 2007 12m foil going and after a bit stopped to talk to him. I'd never met him before, but tried to be helpful to get him moving. He let me try his kite for a bit to see if he had the lines setup for full power or not. Surprisingly, I couldn't get the thing to pull me either. Granted it was a slower kite because of the size, but I thought for sure I could at least get going on this bigger kite. Thinking maybe the wind had died off a bit more, I hopped back on the 9.5 and immediately cruised off. One of the things that people told me about the Montana 2 was that it just kept pulling them upwind and this does the same. Now there is added the advantage due to the new fabric and shape(bridle config included) to really use the kite in lighter winds. I only wish I could test the turn speeds on similar size kites. It would be hard to judge, but I always like to ride a smaller kite that you can work than be the one out on the biggest gear. Floats my boat to actually fly the kite while riding. They have definitely changed the turning speed from last year and I would say it is fast for a foil.

Bar pressure was normal for me. I've been riding a 2/1 setup with heavy pressure on water, so it was nice not to have to quit because of my arms being sore! Now I don't have any excuses.

I probably should post later about the hangtime and airs on this kite. It seems to take me a while to get used to jumping on a foil every winter. I get it dialed on my bow kites in the summer and in winter I end up sending the kite up to 12 instead of further back into the window. I was able to get some nice floaties on the 9.5 when the winds were higher, much better than last years kite. Same goes for the 12.5. I'd like to again get some pictures for my own reference on the air, but I am sure you could go as big as you wanted on this kite. Things felt good when jumping, just can't tell without hard evidence! It does has more depower than last years so you can fly a size up for bigger jumps. More depower=more windrange!

The other nice thing about this kite is that it is super stable. I would watch last years kite like a hawk to make sure it wouldn't overfly, of course I found out my line lengths were a bit off when I finally checked. This year I can strap on my board, eat a sandwich and use my cell while flying this. (not recommended!) This again is due to the fabric and the shape.
Unhooked the kite is supposed to be nice. I'm not much into that stuff, but believe it would be. Also the way the kite powers up and down on kite loops makes it excellent for freestyle.

Not to end on a down note, but my suggestions to improve the kite would be one or two things, not that I design kites for a living. These suggestions may actually ruin the kite! First thing would be to combine the bridles on the left and right side so the kite turns in tandem, this may make the kite turn even faster or maybe slower but I'd like to see what happens if they tried, but maybe they already did! I think I got this idea from Air Evolution kites anyway. Also, the rear brake lines could be moved more towards the leading edge to reduce the backstall possibilities. I know it would add bar pressure, but don't know how much. I had to add at least something that wasn't perfect with the kite. I hate reading all the glowing reviews of kites that read like nothing is wrong, ie Hellfish and others. It creates too much kite envy. The designers also need something to do for the year.

So, I decided not to end on a down note or on my late night ramblings, I forgot about relaunch and safety. Both work like they should. Pull the front lines and the kite goes up, pull the brakes and the kite goes down. Reverse launch is even easier than last year, pull the brake and then one sides lines and it flips. Nothing difficult about that. I did get to try the chicken loop QR on the 12.5. I was messing around trying to setup quickly and while putting the chicken finger in my harness with my gloves on pulled the red ball on accident. Worked great, but had to ride unhooked for longer than I like!

Fortunately this kite is one of those things that you fly and it just works like it is supposed to. I've felt comfortable from day one with the Montana 3 and hope to have a good year on this kite. We'll see if HQ can produce an even better kite next year. I think anyone will be impressed by the performance of the kite, whether you are just starting out or been doing this forever. Kites have come along way in such a short time and I love to see the improvements.

Last but not least. The MSRP's I found on the web:

Model Size Color Price USD Complete

Montana-3 5m Yellow $729
Montana-3 7m Red $799
Montana-3 9.5m Blue $899
Montana-3 12.5m Yellow $989

They are a bit more than last year, but a lot less than other brands! HQ has arrived!
I'll get those pics up soon.

Digg

Comments or questions please ask.
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 03:26 PM

Great review Digg :thumbup:

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
wexler

[*] posted on 13-4-2008 at 11:07 AM

While we where in St.Augustine I got a chance to fly Acampbells Montana III 9.5M... it was AWESOME!!!:singing:
It had great handling and good pop. This was my firs time flying with a bar and harness. I flew the kite for two hours strait but my dad had to make me stop cause it was getting dark.:sniff: I was flying it in 7 mph and it was lofting me 3ft in the air. When I pendulum jumped I would go 6 to 7 ft in the air. The only problem is I can not fly it over 10mph winds so if I ever get one It will probably be the seven meter.
AWESOME KITE!!!!!!:yes:

Crossfire II 5m and Montanna 4 9.5m
Flexi Buggy wide axle
Ground Industries board with street and off road wheels
HQ harness
flicker link http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobmuse/sets/72157604051783730/
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 13-4-2008 at 08:07 PM

Wex,

Fly less........ eat more......... and go for the 9.5!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-4-2008 at 07:37 AM

I never posted this detailed pic of the Montana 3 9.5

Looks like it is heading around the moon. Hi res version in sig link.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
csa_deadon
Posting Freak

Mood: waiting for spring sobb, fall sobb, ABE, IBX

[*] posted on 24-6-2008 at 12:26 AM

I just got my 7.0 Montana 3 a week ago. This kite is ....... WOW!
First depower kite I have owned, (why did I wait so long?)
Just amazing that this thing will pull me down the beach (tennis shoes) in a 7mph wind, and loft me 5 feet in the air. FYI I weigh in at 220.

Must respect the kite. :)

www.napka.org
US911
What I ride, and fly
Custom KBSS Libre Hardcore with John Deer tires!
Ozone R1 11m, Ozone Summit 10ul, 15m ul

Wish list:
Wind powered portable coffee maker.
Chrono, Chrono, Chrono!
dgkid78

Mood: Wicket Smaht= Wicked Smart

[*] posted on 24-6-2008 at 01:52 PM

Dammm i got the wrong version :puzzled: I got the Montana 2 7.0m I need 12+mph to get that high.....or maybe cause i am still a noob and practicing with ATB. or maybe the "3" is that much better!!!:yes:

Hq Montana 2 7m

HQ Montana 3 9.5m

MBS Comp 90

My Quiver is old...but I\'m a broke kiter!!!

Video:

http://vimeo.com/6674899

Some Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgkid78/
csa_deadon
Posting Freak

Mood: waiting for spring sobb, fall sobb, ABE, IBX

[*] posted on 24-6-2008 at 08:12 PM

From what I have read the "3" is a big improvement over the "2". I should have stated that I had a steady 7mph with gusts to 12mph. The power of this kite is amazing.

www.napka.org
US911
What I ride, and fly
Custom KBSS Libre Hardcore with John Deer tires!
Ozone R1 11m, Ozone Summit 10ul, 15m ul

Wish list:
Wind powered portable coffee maker.
Chrono, Chrono, Chrono!
nhlrule56

Mood: Where\'s the beach?

[*] posted on 24-6-2008 at 09:11 PM

Awesome review Dirk.

This past weekend I got to play with a Montanna 3 7m at Bodega Bay. I really liked the fact the kite was well built and seemed very sturdy. I think I used the term "built like a brick #@%$#!house" to describe its durability. The lines, including the bridle, look like they were made of 500lb test. I never looked what they really were but they were pretty thick. Nice stitching, the bridle was not over complicated. I liked the chicken loop and how you can open up the loop and connect to the Ozone Access XC harness which is essentially just a metal loop. (I use a small locking beaner when I connect the Sabre2's to the harness.) I was pleasantly surprised and the turning and the power.

It was a nice kite to fly and would be a nice addition to anyones quiver.

Flexifoil - Sabre2 5.0m, 9.5m / Bullet 7.0m
Ozone - Cult 4.5m / Yakuza 2.2m, 3.4m / Samurai2 3.0m / IMP 2.5m / IMP Quattro 1.5m
Peter Lynn - Pepper II 3.0m
Rides - Peter Lynn Bigfoot Buggy / Flexifoil Buggy / MBS Mountainboard
Harness - Dakine XT Seat / Ozone AccessXC D-Ring / Ozone AccessXC Spreader Bar
seblue

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 07:53 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a field card? I was teaching my nephew and he asked when I feel confident I will let him try mine. He is still training on a 2 line.

PM me if someone knows how to get a field card or if there is a way to print it off the web?
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

smile.gif posted on 11-5-2010 at 08:13 PM

U2U/PM sent.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio