Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kite-Surfing Transition
bloah

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 03:35 PM
Kite-Surfing Transition

I been landboarding and snowkiting for 8 month now, learned everything on my own without any accidents. Now I am thinking about going on water this summer as I live 5 minutes away from the beach.
I have Pulse 10m, which I plan to use, but I have no idea what board should I get. Any suggestions for 150 pound guy?

Also, can I do it on my own? Is there something I should know before I attempt going on water? I plan on using life jacket and a helmet, and my friends watching me in case something goes wrong. Thats pretty much my plan. Does this plan look reasonable?
Any suggestions or advice please.
Thanks

Liquid Force Session 2008 - 16
North Rhino 2007 - 12
Best Waroo 2007 - 9
North Vegas 2005 - 7
speleopower

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 03:51 PM

If you can landboard and not crash the kite then you'll be fine in the water. Just remember never go farther offshore than you are willing to swim. Another quick tip is to try this with your landboard. Start sitting down or laying down. From this position get your landboard on your feet and start riding. This is similar to getting your board to your feet and lifting yourself out of the water.

A surfboard with some footstraps will work just fine as well for starting out. If you deciede to stick with kitesurfing then you can invest in a nice board/s.

I'm riding the same boards I got back in 1999/2000.

Later-Scott

Quadrifoil Competition XXXL x2
Quadrifoil Competition XXL
Quadrifoil Competition XM
Quadrifoil Q2000 5 meter
Quadrifoil Q2000 4 meter
Quadrifoil Qebra 3 meter
Flexifoil Blade IV 4.9 meter
Flexifoil Blade 3 10.5 meter

Flexifoil Kava
7\'3\" Hana Crew custom
6\'6\" Hana Crew custom-on Saipan
F-One 7\'3\"
Cabrina 5\'6\"-for sale
2x homebrew plywood wake/kite boards
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 04:49 PM

www.kitesurfingschool.org is a great site for basic instruction. If you can get your hands on a DVD lesson it would be a huge help. You can watch it over and over.

Learn how to body drag first and formost. The proper technique to body drag upwind is extremely valuable when retrievng your board also when setting out on an onshore wind. Pay attention to how to self rescue and practice it before you need it !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
domdino

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 05:32 PM

let's not forget, rear leg bent, front leg straight and pointing you :) best advice i ever got :) :)

Go for it!

DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 05:32 PM

Hi bloah

not much experienc e yet, but just been through this phase at the end of the summer. and I have read a lot.

don't step the body grad phase, really important to be able to go upwind. Imagine you lose your board, and the wind is off-shore.

get the larger board you can have. use a twin tip board, not a surf as I would be really impressed if you can ride toe side with a unidirectional board in your first rides.

I have used a litewave freeride 169x43 this summer. this board reduce the learning curve a lot. it turns well, it floats well, and has some rocker.

don't get a rectangle light wind board like a door with a flat rocker for the beginning. these boards have to be edged a lot otherwise they slip forward and you lose balance. and not ideal in the chops.

some suggestion of boards

undeground FLX 152 (not the 148 which has flat rocker)
liquid force proof 151 or 161
slinshot sx 157
litewave freeride 169
best chubby 140x46
spleene rip 140x47

If you take a shorter board, make sure it has a larger size if you want to get same float and balance.

you can still learn on a regular board like 140x40 but your learning curve will just be longer. reason is just simple: less balance, you will fall faster, you will ride less

As for my litewave, I wanted to sell it, but I have decided to keep it as it will be amazing in light winds.

Now I am thinking to get a spleene rip 138x44, for my kitesurf trip at the end of march

barnes

Mood: Wind!

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 05:53 PM

I plan on (re)learning this summer on a home made plywood board. Is this a good or bad idea? I think a plywood would float nice, help me start.

Kites: 16m PL Scorpion, 9m & 14m 06 Best Waroo
Vehicles: Thrift store snowboard, fraken-ATB, Old Litewave water board.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by buzz
Hi bloah
don't step the body grad phase, really important to be able to go upwind. Imagine you lose your board, and the wind is off-shore.

It is best to avoid going out in offsore winds on the ocean ( or great lake ) for the obvious reasons :o If you are on a lake it is a different situation.

Good you mentioned the Plydoor Buzz ! I have suggested it to people as a better option than a wakeboard but it is FAR from the ideal board to learn on.

Barnes, You can pick up a big old board for $100 easy . That would be 10 times better than the $50 to build a plydoor !

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barnes
I plan on (re)learning this summer on a home made plywood board. Is this a good or bad idea? I think a plywood would float nice, help me start.

http://kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm

read that, they have the instructions to make a board with some rocker. Just dont use a door shape. Round up the tips.

bloah

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 08:41 PM

thanks for advices guys, I really appreciate them !
Cheers
Bloah

North Rhino 2007 - 12
Best Waroo 2007 - 9
North Vegas 2005 - 7
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 09:50 PM

Not to hijack the thread here (move me if it's hijacking) but......you can body drag yourself upwind?

Can't wrap my head around that one......

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
bloah

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 10:19 PM

what is body drug anyways?

North Rhino 2007 - 12
Best Waroo 2007 - 9
North Vegas 2005 - 7
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bloah
what is body drug anyways?

where you use the kite power to pull you around in the water without a board.

usually when you fall off your board, and try to collect yourself, by putting you kite back up to zenith, you'll be pulled downwind a bit. once you're kite is at zenith you'll want to send your kite at 45 degrees, and use your other arm to help guide you upwind to get back to your board.

simple steps to follow:

1. learn your kite ... water relaunching, etc
2. learn to body drag in shallow water
3. learn to body drag w/ kite upwind
4. learn to water start

... now you're ready for kiteboarding

Sample Video: http://www.bestkiteboarding.dk/video/instruktion/Tips_til_be...

DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 12:56 AM

an IKO lesson is worth all the money. It also reduces the learning curve.

I took just a 4hour private lesson and we had enough time to cover LEI water relaunch, safety release, body drag downwind and upwind, and water start.

You get all the tips for a good water start as how to position your body and legs

Then I was ready to practice on my own.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 09:45 AM

When you body drag upwind you want to get your body working like a giant rudder. Getting the underwater hand up over your head and using it as part of the rudder helps greatly !

Ken (K2)
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 07:52 AM

Is this feasible with handles, or am I delusional to think I can do this without a bar? I like the idea of being handy with body dragging before adding a board to the equation. Not sure I would have enough rudder without that underwater arm extended in front. I guess I need to just try it.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
domdino

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 09:57 AM

with handles and a harness i guess it might be possible, but it would definitely be more fiddly, you really have to straighten your body out, like snowbird said, one arm on the bar, the other arm as a rudder, and your legs keeping you planing through the water... i've never tried it with handles though, might be fun to try and give us a report :)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio