Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prism Stylus P.4
dblcrona

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 04:52 PM
Prism Stylus P.4

I have been flying 2-line and 4-line stunt kites for quite a long time and would consider myself an intermediate level flyer. I recently bought a P.4 to try my hand at power kiting and I really like this kite. I realize this is probably considered more of an entry level kite by most of the rgulars to this forum, but this is a review for those considering power kiting. For the price point this kite handled like a dream. It is a lot more responsive than I ever expected it to be for its size. The power level is very strong but not too strong for a beginner. The center air intake vent helps to keep the ends from collapsing which makes it very stable. In 16 mph winds this kite drug me across the beach and literally picked me off my feet. Along with this kite I purchased a set of Spectra 400/220 quad lines from HQ Kites. I also purchased the HQ Ultra Quad Handles and Kite Killers. What a great setup for only about $300. I can't wait to take it to Grand Cayman!
DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 05:40 PM

I hope its alot better for you than my p3. The p3 has no lift and no pull. Its a good quality kite and flys well, but just has no use unless you weigh around 100lbs. They seem to be priced well, but by the time you get a quad lineset and handles its the same or more than other good quality brands.
KiteProject

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 08:43 PM

I also own a Stylus P3, it was my first power kite and I love it! I bought the kite to learn the basics of the power kiting and the kite was perfect for the job. Now that I have learned the basics, the kite still has it uses:

1) I fly the kite in extremely high winds when I woulnd't dare fly my Blade IVs or Bego.

2) When I can't be bothered with excitement and "power" of a power kite -- once in a while you just want a relaxed time at the beach with a not-too-easy but not-too-challenging a kite.

3) Last, but not least, it's a great kite to teach your friends/family/future spouse the joys of power kiting. I have given lessons to newbies on my Stylus P3 and they absolutely loved it!
DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 08:45 PM

good points KiteProject :cool:
Sthrasher38
Posting Freak

Mood: Stable ;)

[*] posted on 12-3-2008 at 07:33 PM

Stack em! for more enjoyment.
Hardrock

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 11:04 AM

The P3 got me hooked also. Now I need another, trying to decide between a Beamer 4m or an Ace 4m.
The P3 is one tough kite. Was letting the kids learn, was some high winds with passing storms and that thing hit the groung sounding like shotgun, several times. Scared the crap out me but no damage at all.

From the reviews, the Beamer will probably win. I'll have to be careful for awhile but can't aford to many small steps. Now Dlish is twisting my arm with that 10% promo. But even without it, he seems to be the man to buy from.

I hope I can make the jump from a two line 2.5 to a four line 4m, that scares me a little, but lows winds in this area (while stormless) makes the 4m seem ok to move up to.

Does that sound like a bad decission? Maybe I should practice swan diving off a ladder first.
LOL.

Laters.

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 12:07 PM

being scared a little is a good thing that will keep you healthy. With that respect you should do fine with the Beamer 4m. Good choice.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Hardrock

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 11:47 PM

Thanks,
acampbell

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 09:18 AM

That is a nice friendly kite. Good choice ! Anything smaller would have been too close to your 2.5.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
rbevis

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 05:51 PM

I also have a Stylus P3 that I picked up recently for my first kite. It was a blast at the beach. I weight about 145lbs and in 15mph winds I was able to scud about 5 ft. I will also mention that while spinning it around a random dog came up and caught me off guard and the next thing I know, the kite yanked me off balance and pulled me on my back a few feet. I was able to regain control so all is good.

I would recommend this for a first time kite. It has pretty good pull and anyone that is new to this will love it. It is very easy to control and will lead to bigger/stronger kites.

Now that I'm back from the beach I am looking for a larger kite. This kite won't fly at all in anything under 5mph (inland) which is about all I get in NC.
rbevis

[*] posted on 27-9-2008 at 02:30 PM

I changed the P3 over to quad line and took it out in about 20mph winds on the beach today.

I was plowing fields all day long. Not exaggerating. Scuds were about 300ft nonstop. I probably could have gone longer but it wears ya out after awhile. All it took was getting it right in the power zone and spinning it around doing figure 8's or tight loops.
Jovver

[*] posted on 26-12-2008 at 12:20 PM

Hey,

My first power kite was also a P.3 and its what really started this addiction for me. I quickly upgraded to the P.4 a few months later because it was time for a stronger trainer kite. I have never set my P.3 in quad line mode, but the P.4 is excellent in 4 line mode. Lately the P.3 has been pretty lame and uninteresting, but I definitely agree with KiteProject on his points. As for stacking the kites... idk how it would work with 2 P.3's, but when I stacked my P.3 with the P.4, it didn't work out so well. This was mainly because the P.4 stacked on top was just connected in 2 line mode fashion on the back of the P.3, and the P.3 was in 4 line mode. In addition to that, there was an extreme amount of wobble between the two kites because on was always trying to move faster than the other. I got much more pull and control with the P.4 alone. Anyways, just my $.02. Hope you enjoy your P.4, I definitely love mine.

Erik
Furlongs

Mood: Lofty

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 02:44 PM

I just ordered the P3 and I am anxiously awaiting delivery. My 1st kite and I can't wait!

P3 Prism Stylus
HQ Beamer III 4m
Jovver

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 04:00 PM

It's a great starter kite IMO. 2.5m is just the right size for an introductory kite and its a pretty tough kite. Get these bad boys while you can, I'm pretty sure Prism discontinued their Stylus series. The Snapshot on the other hand is now available in 2.5m.
Furlongs

Mood: Lofty

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 10:54 AM

That is good to know!

P3 Prism Stylus
HQ Beamer III 4m
WadoGal

Mood: Itching to fly

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 11:08 AM

Wow! Alot of people started out with a Stylus P.3.

That was my first power kite as well. I think I learned a lot about kite control with that kite. I converted it to 4 lines right away, but I used lines that were too long (Not too sure on length) and found that the drag from the lines really pulled on the brakes and it didn't fly well. I put some shorter lines (20m I think) on and it flew great - problem solved

As said above, it doesn't generate too much power or lift. Although I have landboarded with it, I don't prefer it. I'd much rather take the jump up my 3m Legend.

So, this kite is in my quiver now as a teaching kite or for a mellow day where I want to fly it more like a stunt kite (good for practicing kite control!)

Prism P.3
Slingshot TD 10m (For Sale)
Pansh Legend 2, 3, 4.5, 5.5m
HQ Apex 7.5m
HQ Crossfire 7.7m
MBS Atom 95X (For sale), MBS Comp 90

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio