Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what board
p0u1

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 06:01 AM
what board

hi im new here

im good at wake boarding, but im board of all the short runs and high cost of using a boat.

i have a kite, it was giving to me its a Best Yarga 2005 17m, i will not be learning on this as its too big, i weigh 95kg, i would just like to know what board would be good for me, i like to try tricks and jumps.

ps not too much wind here.

chears.
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 06:26 AM

welcome

JL model III

peace

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
p0u1

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 06:40 AM

what about sizing(sp)?
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 07:13 AM

I -highly- recommend you take lessons. Your instructor will be able to advise you on a suitable kite and board for your weight and conditions. I weigh 111 kg and my two boards are a 145cm x 49cm and a 155cm x 45cm. The Jimmy Lewis Model III is a great board, but way too small for a noob at your weight IMHO.
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 07:42 AM

where are you?

you could maybe find some other kiters to learn from, can get quite of bit learning for the offer of beers / dinner! (maybe not even that...)

At 95 kg, you could likely hold (maybe!) that kite in light winds with just a little experience on something smaller...

Instructors and lessons are a good idea, but if you prefer the self-taught approach and have some patience get a 3-4 m foil and get your kite skills down, than after a few hours you can see how your wakeboard skills transfer... But the bottom line is that you must have enough control over that kite to regulate the power, otherwise you put yourself at substantial risk!

Instructors and lessons will also give you good info on self-rescue and safety!

Having said that, you can get a decent trainer for the price of lessons, but the lessons will cut your learning curve by half if not more!

I'm a land kiter and know nothing about your kite, not even if it has decent depower, you may have a little research to do yet...

And what do you mean not much wind? windguru and windfinder are some good places to start.

Ok, I'll stop mouthing off...

And welcome to powerkites!

cheers,

furbo

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
p0u1

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 07:57 AM

thanks soo far, its allot of help, the winds are normally around 7-11knots here in bedford uk.
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 08:29 AM

bedford, UK?

bloody hell, mate, get yourself onto racekites.com (UK site) and find some people to learn from!

the kite scene in the UK is at least 10x the size of the US scene!

introduce yourself as a newbie, make sure you mention your weight / kite / local winds and watch the welcome wagon roll in!

The used market is good in the UK as well! With patience you can find good deals, like an older flysurfer for 250 quid...

cheers,

furbo

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
thanks soo far, its allot of help, the winds are normally around 7-11knots here in bedford uk.
7 to 11 knots? Forget about kiting on water my friend, stick to wakeboarding or kite-landboarding. You need at least 12 knots to kite on water (if you're a skilled kitesurfer) and will want 15-20 knots to learn. Now if you weighed 45 kg, that might be a different story... ;)
p0u1

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 05:23 AM

better start weight loss.
lol

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio