Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: JoJo RM 10 m: First Impressions
KiteProject

thumbup.gif posted on 5-7-2008 at 06:05 PM
JoJo RM 10 m: First Impressions

I purchased this kite to fill the low wind gap in my quiver. Summer is here and we get quite a few low wind days in the
Boston area. Nothing is more annoying than showing up at the beach and watching your kite drop out of the sky.
I searched far and wide for a low wind kite on a budget and heard about the inventory liquidation at JEllis'
. I called up Jon and discussed the situation. Jon mentioned that he has a 10m RM. I jumped at the opportunity and
kite arrived a few days later.

Bag

The kite was packed in a white draw string bag. The kite was folded like a cushion/pillow. From the the thickness
of the folded kite, I could tell that it's a big wing.

Kite Material

The material is light and crispy ripstop nylon. The outer sail is colored blue and the inner layer is blue
and white. The bridals are knotted to the tabs and are of light material. The top bridals are yellow colors
and the TE bridals are red. The bridals are thin, atleast thinner than my BIVs, and the material seems
very high quality. I haven't measured the length of the bridals but they seems shorter than some of my
other (5/6/6.5 m ) kites.

Wind range

I have had 3 outings with this kite and I used my Windtronic 2 wind meter to take wind readings.

3+ mph: In my first outing in 3+ mph winds, the kite just fell out of the sky. It needed atleast 4 mph to stay aloft
and it sure pulls in that wind speed. The kind of a pull it generated in 4mph winds, I could ride on a board.

4+ mph: Kite flies comfortably in this range and I don't have to use my legs to keep it up.

Flying Characteristics

I didn't take this kite to a beach or used it to ride on a mountainboard. I flew it on a soccer field with goals located
on 4 sides. This naturally limited any manuverablity but for initial test flights and learning (to fly a race kite), it
was a perfect venue.

This is a 10 m kite, so it's BIG! Even at 4 mph winds, it pulls very hard. I had to be very careful. On my first outing, at
one point, the wind picked up. Being my first time, I didn't know how the kite would behave and it raced to the zenith.
As the kite was rising I was feeling the pull increasing (I was hooked in) and by the end it reached the zenith, it had
lifted me up few feet! Ohhhh joy! :lol: I was having so much fun with being lifted up, I just let the kite go, and it overflew
and collapsed! I learned my lesson fast and kept the brakes applied to control the ascend.

In my second and third outing, I flew the kite in 3mph winds. The kite required some leg work but I was able to keep the
kite up. if I sensed the lines were slacking, I'd take a few steps back. I kept the kite moving and it responded. When
the kite was moving straight up, I had to keep the brakes applied otherwise it'd either overfly or lift me. When the kite
had ascended about 45 degree in front of me, I'd turn it left or right to prevent it from racing to the top. If I were
to take this kite to a beach, where I could do long mountainboard runs, in 3-4 mph winds, I could easily ride my mountain
board with this kite.

My initial impression are that this is a very well crafted kite. The material and bridals quality is second to none.
The kite generates a lot of power and demands respect. It likes to be moved and needs constant brakes. The pull this
kite generates is just beautiful. I flew my Bego 600 once in 12+ mph winds and it pulled like a train. I didn't have to
sine the kite, it just kept me moving. It was a beautiful experience. I feel the same kind of pull with this kite in
5 mph wind! As you can imagine, I can't wait to take this kite to a beach on a low wind day!!!

Overall Experience

This kite nicely fills the gap in my quiver for the low winds days. It's a keeper. The quality of the kite is
top notch and it's generates tremendous power. Flying large kites in low winds is a different style of flying
and I am enjoying it very much. You have to keep the kite moving but also control its power so that it doesn't
either lift you up, or rip your arms out of the sockets. This type of kiting requires constant vigilance of the
wind conditions and alertness to kite's movements to keep it in the air. Constant adjustments are a needed and you
can't be sloppy.

If you are tired of having to sit out low wind days, I'd recommend a large wing. They do cost a bit more
but the kiting experience is very rewarding. It's a different style of flying but a lot of fun. I can now
say that no low wind day will ruin my kiting trip. I look forwad to them. :thumbup:
centex_buggier

Mood: Missing the Beach Winds

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 07:30 PM

I just bought a 10M RM+ from Jon for the buggy and these kites like to move for sure. With any race kite, you have to keep on top of things and maintain constant control input to maximize the performance. I have had several smaller RM and RM+ kites over the years and they are my favorite. The RM+s tend to have a little less power than the RMs, but they are more stable and easier to keep moving in light winds.

As I am learning right now, flying a larger race kite requires more control input and it teaches you exactly when the kite likes more or less brake input. Are you running with the pulley handles? They help a lot.

NAPKRA: US98
Libre Hardcore
Libre Full Race

Ozone Little Devil 1.5
Ozone Access 4 and 6
JoJo RM+ 3, 4, 6 and 10
Libre Spirit 4.7 and 7.7
Airea Raptor 5.5
Ozone Frenzy07 10
Ozone Yakuza GT 12
KiteProject

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by centex_buggier
I have had several smaller RM and RM+ kites over the years and they are my favorite. The RM+s tend to have a little less power than the RMs, but they are more stable and easier to keep moving in light winds.

I can't wait to take my RM to a larger area to fully experience its potential. This is one helluva powerful kite. I had one session early in the afternoon and it wasn't enough. I went back again 3 hours later! Damn thing is so addictive.

Quote:
Originally posted by centex_buggier
As I am learning right now, flying a larger race kite requires more control input and it teaches you exactly when the kite likes more or less brake input.

Yes, they require precision flying. This style of kiting has a few more variables and I am finding the process very satisfying.

Quote:
Are you running with the pulley handles? They help a lot.

Currently, I am using my trusty Flexifoil handles with a lot of brake input. I am flying this kite hooked to my harness so haven't felt the need for extra brake input, yet. This could change.

Do you fly hooked or unhooked?
centex_buggier

Mood: Missing the Beach Winds

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 07:58 PM

I always buggy hooked in. I use a roller spreader for the JoJos and a hook spreader for the depower kites.

I actually made a set of pulley handles out of spare set of Flexi 16in handles that I had. I can't imagine buggying without them. With these handles I can pull the kite out of the sky fully braked in, yet allow it to fully power up with a foot of slack dangling behind. The first time I tried without the pulleys (and a shorter link line) on the same handles, the kite did not fly very well and I could not loop it at all. With the pulley handles you will be able to fly it much more aggressively and it will be more agile.

NAPKRA: US98
Libre Hardcore
Libre Full Race

Ozone Little Devil 1.5
Ozone Access 4 and 6
JoJo RM+ 3, 4, 6 and 10
Libre Spirit 4.7 and 7.7
Airea Raptor 5.5
Ozone Frenzy07 10
Ozone Yakuza GT 12
jellis

Mood: SOBB

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 07:58 PM

Thanks for the great reviews. I just remember that speed through the air generates power, so I use the brakes to regulate the speed for the power I need at any given time.
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 09:22 AM

Glad you're liking it.

I just picked up a 2.5 RM+ and can't wait to use it on the beach (once that situation is cleared up).

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
KiteProject

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 10:10 AM

We kited in PJP II park yesterday. Winds were low so I got to fly my new 10 m again. Good time! :thumbup:

2.5 + is going to be a fast kite!

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Roc
Glad you're liking it.

I just picked up a 2.5 RM+ and can't wait to use it on the beach (once that situation is cleared up).
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KiteProject
We kited in PJP II park yesterday.

U2U sent.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
barnes

Mood: Wind!

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KiteProject
We kited in PJP II park yesterday. Winds were low so I got to fly my new 10 m again. Good time! :thumbup:

2.5 + is going to be a fast kite!

Quote:
Glad you're liking it.

I'm going to Boston sometime soon to visit a few colleges. (Boston U, Northeastern) Not to sure exactly when, but I'll let you guys know, and I can get some kiting in on the trip too! :thumbup:

Kites: 16m PL Scorpion, 9m & 14m 06 Best Waroo
Vehicles: Thrift store snowboard, fraken-ATB, Old Litewave water board.
KiteProject

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 01:57 PM

^ Cool.:thumbup:
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barnes
I'm going to Boston sometime soon to visit a few colleges. (Boston U, Northeastern) Not to sure exactly when, but I'll let you guys know, and I can get some kiting in on the trip too! :thumbup:

Maybe, maybe not. There is currently a ban at the most popular kiting beach in the area. Not that kiting doesn't continue but the ban doesn't help.

Post or U2U when you are coming and we can direct you or meet up with you depending upon where the ban is at and where you are staying.

barnes

Mood: Wind!

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by barnes

Maybe, maybe not. There is currently a ban at the most popular kiting beach in the area. Not that kiting doesn't continue but the ban doesn't help.

Post or U2U when you are coming and we can direct you or meet up with you depending upon where the ban is at and where you are staying.

I'll keep you posted on it. I need to apply to schools by end of November, so it should be pretty soon, late August, September. Worrying about getting into college is stressful stuff! :thumbdown:

Kites: 16m PL Scorpion, 9m & 14m 06 Best Waroo
Vehicles: Thrift store snowboard, fraken-ATB, Old Litewave water board.
_____

Mood: Wanting wind

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barnes. Worrying about getting into college is stressful stuff! :thumbdown:

Coladge is soo overrated anywho! :smilegrin:

~Jason

PL Twister II 5.6 :D
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-7-2008 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by _____

Coladge is soo overrated anywho! :smilegrin:

No way man. Colege was the best 6 years of my life:singing::wink2:

WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 24-7-2008 at 07:20 PM

KP how much did the jojo rm 10 cost?

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER