Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oahu bound!
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 24-7-2008 at 04:24 PM
Oahu bound!

Woo hoo! Wife and I JUST decided that some insanely cheap flights to Hawaii for an Ultimate Frisbee tournament would be a grand Christmas present to each other so the tickets are now bought and paid for ($630 return from Edmonton all taxes incl!)

You know where I'm going with this then, right? Anyone know anything about THESE guys? I have no idea what level I'll be at by the time I get there but I'm thinking more lessons will never hurt whether I need them or not, right? Plus it gets me on gear so I don't have to bring anything if I choose not to (we'll be camping for a bit so I don't know what kind of secure storage I'll have). Anybody have any reason to recommend / not recommend them?

Any other advice further to my last post about this, then pending, trip to Kailua Bay?

Super excited!:tumble:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-7-2008 at 09:43 PM

Not familiar with that shop but the IKO card is the way to go. You can take it to your next lesson if you don't take all 3 and they can keep track.

Go to Kialua even if you don't kite. It's just worth it.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-7-2008 at 09:51 PM

The IKO Card?

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

~ Thomas Edison
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 07:56 AM

IKO is one way for instructors to get certified / insured. All instructors are taught by IKO and follow similar lesson plans.

If you take an IKO lesson they will give you a card proving you have obtained some skill level. Then the next instructor will know what you need next. Without it I had to spend a LOT of time RE doing the basics when I took lessons at different times in different places.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 09:34 AM

Hey macboy, I guess you don't read your old threads, huh? ;) Seeing as I lived on Oahu for 30 some years, I might qualify as knowing a thing or two about the place. What do you want to know about Hawaiian Water Sports? I've known Josh and his wife (the owners) since they opened the place. They're just about the only people I would deal with there, although Noel at Naish Hawaii isn't a bad guy to deal with (but stay away from anyone with Naish as a last name, the only one worth a sh*t is Robbie, the rest are a**holes... eh, but what do I know?).

If you're going to Oahu and you're not at least an advanced intermediate kiter with wave / open ocean experience, then the only place you'll want to go is Kailua. Stand by for light winds, small launches and big crowds though. December isn't a particularly good month for kiting in Hawaii. The "good" winds season starts about May and lasts into November. Come December the winter storms screw up the Tradewinds, so you may get good winds or you may not. Best plan is to have a backup sport for the visit. Personally, I packed my kites for the winter and concentrated on surfing instead. Winter is -awesome- for good waves on Oahu. If there isn't any wind and you want to do something in Kailua with the wife, go to HWS and rent a couple kayaks from Josh and paddle around Flat Island or up to Lanikai. Then when you're done, take the wife to Maui Tacos for lunch.
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigkahuna
Hawaiian Water Sports? I've known Josh and his wife (the owners) since they opened the place. They're just about the only people I would deal with there, although Noel at Naish Hawaii isn't a bad guy to deal with

That's what I was hoping to hear. They certainly seem to be the most coordinated and were super pleasant when I talked to them yesterday. One of the girls on the team is gonna be signing up too so we're sure to have some fun...as long as we get wind.

Thanks for the surf tip - the wife wants to give it a go while we're there. I know it's off topic as far as this forum goes but what/where would you recommend for someone looking for surf lessons and is Hanauma the best snorkeling or is there somewhere else that we should go with our masks and fins?

KC07 - Certified Chronic

~ Thomas Edison
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
... what/where would you recommend for someone looking for surf lessons

Not Waikiki, although that would probably be the most convenient place to go. Last I checked, they were giving lessons at Barber's Point (also called Kalaieloa) but I don't have any contact info for them. Next time I talk to one of my buddies there I'll ask him to get me the number. Waikiki is too much of a zoo IMHO.

Quote:
and is Hanauma the best snorkeling or is there somewhere else that we should go with our masks and fins?

Hanauma Bay is the -worst- spot to snorkel on the island (thanks to the millions of tourists and their pee over the years). If the wind / waves are down, then there's a spot not far from Kailua you can go out (called Makai Pier) or about 20 minutes past Barbers Point is the best snorkeling (Electric Beach, near Nanakuli). But it all depends on the wind and waves.

Another good workout is to take the hike up to the summit of Diamond Head crater. Do it early in the morning before it gets too hot. It's not too difficult and the view from the bunkers at the summit are awesome. In fact, if you're into hiking, Oahu has some of the nicest (and most challenging) hikes I've ever experienced. Some of the spots we went to didn't look like anyone had been there in dozens of years. Very tropical, lush and secluded. Watch out for wild pigs though... ;)
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 10:19 AM

Dude, that's awesome! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!

KC07 - Certified Chronic

~ Thomas Edison
USA_Eli_A
Posting Freak

Mood: Ozone For Life

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 10:34 AM

Abort if you're going just for kiting....i've been on Maui in October and the north shore was crankin....I might have been able to ride "the massive right point" but it was full of locals...a big no no...so i watched.

I always recommend, even if you're experienced to Take a kite lesson if it's a "new to you" spot....no guessing, no mistakes, and plenty of bad spelling on my posts..

"LIVE TO KITE ANOTHER DAY"

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 25-7-2008 at 12:41 PM

Maui always has 10-15 mph more wind than Oahu, and Kailua is one of the lightest spots on the island. If you're a good kiter, go to the kiteoahu website and connect with some of the locals before you go. They have a vested interested in keeping you from screwing up in Kailua, so there's always somebody who is willing to show you the ropes.

Winter means big surf on the North Shore, but there are enough smaller breaks on the South Shore for noobs that it isn't a problem. There is plenty to do on Oahu, be sure to drop me an email later in the year as Winter approaches and I'll try to fill you in on the latest.
macboy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-7-2008 at 10:30 PM

Sweet! You bet I will, thanks!

KC07 - Certified Chronic

~ Thomas Edison

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio