Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flysurfer Pulse 10 m: First Impressions
KiteProject

[*] posted on 27-7-2008 at 09:06 AM
Flysurfer Pulse 10 m: First Impressions

I finally had a successful flight with my Pulse 10. The wind was high enough (14 mph) to launch the kite and keep it aloft.

After unpacking and laying down the lines, I found one of the power lines (left) twisted with the red line. This couldn't be good. I had to unhook the line and untwist it and hooked it back. Flysurfer kites have very nice line connectors called Easy Line Connectors and they, like the name, are easy to use. Once line were straigtened up, I held the leading edge up in the air to fill it up with some air. The kite got reasonably inflated. I hooked the FDS line to the safety leash, hooked on the loop, pulled the yellow handle all the way (totally depowering the kite), gave a few tugs to the power lines and voila, kite's in the air!

The wind was high, I'd say 18mph and even more and I didn't feel the kind of pull I usually feel with my FB kites. The kite was smooth and easy to control. Turning was slow. I had to take a few steps back to make the kite turn faster. I was also pulling the bar in as I was turning the kite. I was disappointed with the turning speed of the kite.

The kite climbs up to the zenith and hangs there nicely. The problem is that if you turn the kite from the top, it goes to the edge of the wind window. Once at the edge of the wind window, it was almost impossible to bring the kite back to the middle. Almost every time this happened, the kite ending up landing on the leading edge at the edge of the window (and sometimes roll over). It's a great feature for landing the kite but to maintain a continuous flying, it was a pain. So, question for the experienced Flysurfer kiters: How do you bring the kite back to the middle of the window considering how slowly it turns?

On one occassion, the kite landed on the leading edge in the middle of the wind window, low wind, and I was unable to relaunch it. I read the Pulse 10 manual when I came home and the trick to relaunching an inverted kite is to pull on emerfency handles and then releasing one handle to make the kite upright.

Now, whenever the kite landed, I would unhook and stake the kite down to the safety leash (FDS) and I have to say that this feature works well. Even in situations where wind picked up and kite inflated again, and stood upright ready to take off, FDS kept it honest. The first time I landed the kite, I used FDS; re-launching the kite from there was very easy. I have one more test to do which is unhooking the kite in air and letting FDS bringing the kite down. I couldn't do it because there were just too many people around, admiring my kite (I was a little surprised how many people stood around asking questions and offering to help when I was setting up the kite).

Regarding jumping, I didn't attempt any. I didn't even pull the bar aggressively to test how much power I could get out of the kite. Reason, you ask? Well, I fly in a small soccer field and there were a few families playing soccer. I just flew the kite, tested left-right turns, relaunching, and landings. This baby needs a bigger area to fully explore its potential.

I had heard a lot about Pulse bridals and tangles, and I have to say that it wasn't a problem. During packing, my first field packing away of the kite, I used two half full water bottles to keep the kite down. I did put the pulleys in the folded kite but some bridal material hung out and I had to parapack them. I'll see how the bridals behave when I take out the kite next time.

Overall, I enjoyed flying this kite. I didn't get the feeling that I was wrestling a bull. There were times when the gusts and high winds did result in a lot of pull, but I was also unknowingly pulling the bar. Flying a depower kite will take some getting used to. For example, the kite powers up to zenith when I release the bar and to turn, I pull the bar and the kite reacted.
I'd appreciate flying tips from experienced Flysurfer kiters.

The equipment used in the session:

- Flysurfer Pulse 10 m
- Dakine Storm seat harness
- Helmet.
- Golf ball stake
- Windtronic 2 wind meter
- Two half filled water bottles.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-7-2008 at 01:12 PM

Sounds like you just need to get some time in flying this one to get the best out of it. You seem to have grasped the basics. By what are you comparing the turning as slow ? Of course it will be slow compared to a 5 or 7m. I expect that once you get it all down you will get faster turns. Just thinking about it I would say that to back away from the edge I pull in the bar a bit so it drops back then send it hard up or down pushing the bar out when the kite has turned and I want it to speed up???  If you do a downturn expect a big long power stroke as you cross back through the window.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
KiteProject

[*] posted on 28-7-2008 at 07:49 PM

It's slower than my JoJo RM 10 m fixed bridle kite, and that kite is a slow turner.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-7-2008 at 08:28 PM

I haven't had the chance to fly a 10. My 13 is certianly slower. Slower moving in low winds to ! Sunset Jim was making me look like a slug on his 10 JoJo :evil:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
KiteProject

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 05:12 AM

Wind was gusting and dropping as well so low wind was a factor too. I have to take the kite out in better winds and see how it behaves.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
I haven't had the chance to fly a 10. My 13 is certianly slower. Slower moving in low winds to ! Sunset Jim was making me look like a slug on his 10 JoJo :evil:
dylanj423
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 08:08 AM

The first time I had my speed up in the air, I noticed a similar turning problem. I found that it I let the trip strap out (powering up the kite), the turning speed increased greatly. With the strap all the way in (full depower) there was no turning input at all, and i had to pull the bar in to get the kite to turn at all. I think these terms are right (trim in, trim out, etc...) but I could be wrong about my terms. If I am, someone please correct me.

As I tweaked the settings through my first session, I grew a lot more confident, and I would think that you will, too.

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers
KiteProject

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 08:11 AM

Thanks.

I had pulled in the yellow strap completely and, yes, I was pulling the bar to make the kite turn. It was my first session and I wanted to be safe. Once the kite is launched and airborne (zenith), you are supposed to pull the blue strap to adjust kite's power to your liking. I didn't do that. Kite was totally depowered throughout the session.

Quote:
Originally posted by dylanj423
The first time I had my speed up in the air, I noticed a similar turning problem. I found that it I let the trip strap out (powering up the kite), the turning speed increased greatly. With the strap all the way in (full depower) there was no turning input at all, and i had to pull the bar in to get the kite to turn at all. I think these terms are right (trim in, trim out, etc...) but I could be wrong about my terms. If I am, someone please correct me.

As I tweaked the settings through my first session, I grew a lot more confident, and I would think that you will, too.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio