Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Kiteboard
bigsteve

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 07:11 AM
First Kiteboard

Back in May I bought my first depowerables with intent for kiteboarding. (been flying blades and stuff for a few years before) I ended up with the 10m and 14m pulse2 from. By the way Powerzone is a heck of a guy to buy from. I spent a lot of time with him on the phone prior to buying. Even got to spend a day up at his town biking and kiting!

Anyway.. trying to figure out my first board for water. My primary spot is not really high wind.. 12-15 most days, some days are 15-20. I weigh 215. If I could get up.. I'd go out in lighter winds too, but this might mean a second board.. not sure. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Also.. I have a total newb question in regards to depowerables. I havent been otu in big winds mountain boarding.. but in winds 15 or less, both the 10 and 14 will oversheet. Is this normal? (im on soft steering and am not touching the trim). So when jumping.. I'm always going for that sweet spot before it oversheets but is still fully powered.. Is this normal? This is how they ahve been since I've had them.
leebrianh

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 07:19 AM

Hello,

I am thinking Spleene Session41 or similar size would be right for you.

FYI, my friend weighs 220lb and he had fun with my Rip34 in *25mph* wind. Don't think Rip34 is right for your weight and your local wind.
powerzone

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 08:01 AM

by oversheeting you're referring to backstalling with the bar pulled in?

set both pulse2 kites to HARD steering... or a little beyond hard even.

the 14m can be mixered to B+0.5 and C+1.0 to make it more aggro.

Former Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center
nwsurfwakeskate

Mood: itching to ride!

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 08:20 AM

bigSteve John told me I should get in contact with you. I have the liquid force trip 132 board for sale in the forums here. its nothing special but it would get you going. and it would be a good beginner board that you could abuse before you get a nice expensive pretty spleene board :)

I'd sell it to you for $80 w/fins if you come pick it up, or at least meet me somewhere so I don't have to ship it.

Photoalbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23940329@N05/

Video page: http://www.vimeo.com/user1882138

Arsenal:
\'13 14m Switchblade, \'12 9m Switchblade, \'13 7m Switchblade
bigsteve

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 08:31 AM

Ok.. Quick question John.. Is this how they flew for you in these winds? I really haven't had them out in anything aggressive to cause any stretching or anything.. Or is this just characteristic of low wind flying?

and you are correct. It is a backstall. It just seems awkward to not be able to pull the bar all the way in. Do you guys prefer this or is this not normal? (Total depower newb.. got used to the way it flys, but a recent discussion with a guy at the park has me questioning).
nwsurfwakeskate

Mood: itching to ride!

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 09:16 AM

my pulse 2 will back stall if I have the trimmer all the way out and pull the bar all the way in. john told me to just set the trimmer where it doesn't do it for the wind you are in and if necessary you can adjust the leaders above the trim strap a little bit.

are we talking flying backwards or just loosing lift and slowing down?

Photoalbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23940329@N05/

Video page: http://www.vimeo.com/user1882138

Arsenal:
\'13 14m Switchblade, \'12 9m Switchblade, \'13 7m Switchblade
powerzone

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 09:25 AM

I preferr a bit of usefull backstall which you can trimm out quickly... it enables me to feel more in control of the canopy the entire time. it also helps in reverse launching and stability.

Former Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio