Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where do i begin? i want to learn kite surfing
naturalhigh

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 01:24 AM
Where do i begin? i want to learn kite surfing

hey everyone...soo i really want to get in to kiteboarding... im 22 6'2 and weigh 220 lbs.....
i bought a sling shot trainer kite 3 years ago..and have been messing with that at my lake houaw and on my open feilds during the winter.. i have read alot about the power zones and i am pretty good with my little 2 liner kit.. .ha one time i got dragged soo fast on a winter day in upstate ny that it tore a hole through the toboggan that was the 3th time i used it...... but now im a little older and i want to start right..as in gear...training...where to go ..im in NC and close enough to wilminton/ carolina beach/ sunset beach.. soo i think thats a good place to start...is it best to go to a shop and get lessions and spend 400 bucks or go and buy a kite and teach your self....thats how i learned how to snowboard and also windsurf...soo im not retarded when it comes to sports.... thanks in advance...
steve
clintopher

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 02:59 AM

Definitely get at least one lesson. You NEED to know the safety aspects of the sport. Kiting is great fun but it can kill you, or worse, some innocent bystander if you get in a sketchy situation and make a bad decision. Aside from the safety aspect, it's nice to have someone tell you exactly what you're doing wrong while you're trying to learn. I was up and riding both directions my first day and there's no way I could have done that without lessons.

Flysurfer Speed 2 15m
Wainman Boss
Wainman Smoke
HQ Rush 250
Flysurfer Flyradical L
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 05:34 AM

lessons will get up faster with the right gear. first 10-20 hrs. safety, self reliance to manage YOUR gear! IT IS ALL YOU! RELY ON YOURSELF AND STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE AND THINGS! safety, rig, safety, rig, safety, rig, safety, launch, safety, land, safety, launch, safety, land, safety, water, safety, relaunch, safety, drag, safety, drag, safety drag, safety, ride, blah,blah, blah...... board control, & recovery, rescue, did i mention safety.
time and commitment and your flying brother

peace

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 08:39 AM

If you can swing a lesson it will boost you up to a level that you can ride and take care of yourself in no time flat. Trying to work it out on your own can take a real long time. There is a lot more at play all at the same time than say, windsurfing. It's not that people haven't self taught , just that it takes a lot longer and is a lot more dangerous route.

Don't take a lesson until you have a plan to keep on riding after it. If you don't have a water kite and take the lesson then wait before you go back out it won't be as valuable to you.

$400 for lessons is a fantastic deal ! They are double that here .

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
naturalhigh

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 12:59 PM

hey thanks guys.... im in Wilmington this week and i will be taking some lessions..also what size kite should i get?
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 01:13 PM

Quote:

what size kite should i get?

That should be a question your instructor should be able to answer. Just let them know what your typical wind speeds are, type of wind (i.e. gusty), where you'll be kiting (lake, ocean, open field, etc.).

Good luck, have fun and be safe!

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 01:20 PM

Yep, another good reason for the lesson beside the obvious safety; the instructor will steer you to the right investment and possibly save you the cost of the lesson by not wasting money on the wrong kite for you and your winds and style.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
clintopher

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 01:38 PM

If you take more than one lesson try to see about using different kites. I took three lessons and used a different kite each day. It was nice to be able to try different ones out.

Flysurfer Speed 2 15m
Wainman Boss
Wainman Smoke
HQ Rush 250
Flysurfer Flyradical L
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 03:56 PM

and the learning curve on the water is more like a learning cliff!

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 04:51 PM

Hey,

There's at least one shop in Wilmington that gives lessons ("Blowing in the Wind" for one) but if you can swing it I'd go up to Hatteras and get a lesson or two there. They teach in the Sound which makes everything 10x easier. Plus, because of the shape of the island, you can launch in just about any wind direction.

But wherever you go, be sure to get lessons. This sport is way too dangerous to "figure out" on your own.
naturalhigh

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:54 PM
lets hope

heyyy thanks guys for all the input....i found a shop in surf city...i think its alled funtoys or somthing...hopefully theres wind tomarrow.....lets pry
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 08:41 AM

If you don't plan on taking all 3 lessons at once. Choose a IKO or Pasa certified instructor. they will give you a card to take from lesson to lesson so the instructor will know what you have learned already. Without it they make you do the basics again. Waisting valuable time.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
naturalhigh

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 08:14 PM

i hope i didnt jump the gun but i got i think a pretty good deal on a kite...a 2006 15 m airbrush for 295 and i also picked up the guys lines and the bar.... there 5 lines...and from what im reading that the way to goo..
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 01:46 AM

I forgot about the shop in Surf City, it's called "Wind Toys". There's one in Cape Carteret also. I used to teach for them. Good people and a good program (at least up in Cape Carteret, never been to the Surf City shop) but the facilities up at Cape Hatteras are 10x better. If the instructors at the Surf City shop are as good as they are up at Cape Carteret, then you'll be fine.

Only problem at the moment is that we haven't had any wind in over a week and none in the forecast :(

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio