Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: wetsuit recomendations?
bigsteve

[*] posted on 14-8-2008 at 06:28 PM
wetsuit recomendations?

So a local shop was recomending the mystic venom SL 5/3 (seattle area)...

What do you guys think.. I know you non locals will have a hard time gauging the thickness. but is this a good quality suit for the money or do you have suggestions of other good suits to look into?

Thanks
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 14-8-2008 at 07:00 PM

I have been bodyboarding for about 20 yrs now off the California Coast (yes I live in VA, but I have family there that I visit from time to time). As far as wetsuits go, 5/3 is probably a good thickness. You could look for a 5/4, but you will lose that flexibility. And since you wont be spending too much time in the water (hopefully), you'll probably be fine. Personally dont know the brand, and I cannot recall what brand I have back in Cali. I want to say its a body glove, but not positive. I'd recommend you try them on and see which fits the most comfortably.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-8-2008 at 09:28 PM

Ocean Rodeo make kiteboard specific dry suits. They are very popular up here in Vancouver. I'm happy with mine.
If it is for surf they have just come out with an awsome new outfit.
http://www.oceanrodeo.com/surfing/drysuits.php

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
bigsteve

[*] posted on 14-8-2008 at 09:56 PM

hey ya it is for kite. I'm not sure im ready to go the drysuit route, but i hear a lot of good things about them. The guy I dive with and I are just real stubborn about drysuits for some reason. I'm sure we'll convert over, but I'm just partial to wetsuits.

Stupid.. i know
zloty

Mood: When doesn\'t blow it sucks

[*] posted on 14-8-2008 at 10:05 PM

Mystic makes top wetsuits for kiteboarding. I have 2 already and very happy with it. My 5/4/3/ steamer is super flexible almost don't know its on me plus its warm. I would recommend it. On the other hand I know Oneil makes good suits and they can custom it for You.

Slawek

my bag;
razor 4.5
razor 5.5 for sale $250
blade III 3.0
blade IV 4.9
custom flexifoil buggy for freestyle
wide axle flexifoil buggy
home made buggy
mbs comp 16

my gallery http://www.flickr.com/photos/slawek2006/sets/
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 03:30 AM

Anything over 3mm and I say use a drysuit. That's what the Coast Guard rescue divers use up off Alaska and the Bering Sea, and that's what the commercial divers use up off the drilling rigs in the North Sea off Scottland. Two of the nastiest places on earth to be in the water. If it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me.
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 05:31 AM

In water skiing, the fuzzy rule is to use a drysuit if the water and air don't total to 100 degrees F. You can wear a wetsuit colder than that but it gets more and more uncomfortable. I'll wear a drysuit no matter what if our water is below 60. But I'm a sissy in cold water. The thing is you don't want to overheat, so you need to be in cool enough air or dip in the water often enough to bleed off excess heat. The drysuits are nice because I can go for a slalom run in sweatshorts and a tshirt and peel it all off and be dry unless I do a header and force water down my neck. That's very nice when the air is cold and dry which would evaporate water off your clothes and skin quickly and make you cold. The drysuit gaskets around the neck, wrists, and ankles can be less comfy than a wetsuit and are harder to get on and off.

Some people aren't bothered by certain bodily functions in a wetsuit, but that is disgusting to me. If you're ok with it, it isn't an option in a drysuit.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 05:51 AM

... plus in an emergency, you can stick your mouth under the neck seal and blow the drysuit into a lifejacket, or even wear a lifejacket underneath if you prefer. The major hassle with drysuits is the time it takes to take them off and put them on.
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 05:53 AM

i have use quicksilver 2/3 glued and stitched and air/water temp 50/50 and seemed hot to me.
and for the money (MAYBE $150) WITH THE GLOVES, hard to beat

but Pac NW could need maybe a fraction more. dry suit =HOT and restricting could not get use to it.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio