Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Skycountry Alasca review
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 02:15 PM
Skycountry Alasca review

I had the opportunity to try out the new Skycountry Alasca 10m this past weekend. Skycountry's new depowerable snow kite.

VERY nice Kite :thumbup: :thumbup:

Skycountry is a company out of the Ukrane ( sp )
It is brought in by some local folks at www.skycountry.ca
I believe this is the 1st Alasca in North America ?
It comes in a good quality pack with extra room for your pads and harness.
Skycountry use a very unique material on there kites. A very slick material that looks oily or wet that should shed dirt and water very well. Bridles are of good quality.
The vents on this and all Skycountry kites are covered with an extra fine mesh that will do a great job of keeping the snow out + keeping the vents open. A very good idea on the snow.

This kite was set up on a Ozone bar. It seemed to me that there was more depower in the kite than the bars travel allowed. Depower was good none the less.

My experience with depower kites is a bit limited still. The 2 kite I can compare to in the same 10 m range are the Psycho 2 and the Frenzy. This kite was similar in performance to the Frenzy. Plenty of raw power but It didn't hit on and off as much as the Frenzy making it a bit more user friendly. It also held up in the turns better than my experience with the Frenzy. Collapse and tip tuck was not a problem but the wind was up.

I'm not the greatest at jumping yet but this kite performed very well with the little jumps I did attempt. Just send it and pull in the bar for some nice smooth lift. Although unproven by myself I expect that this kite will offer some good float as well.

In about 15mph winds this kite was easy kite to handle. Good feedback. Similar bar pressure to the Frenzy. Much harder than the P2. I spent most of the day with the sun in my eyes. Flying this kite for the 1st time mostly by feel was not a problem. Far more friendly and stable than my P2 ever was. The wind wasn't too gusty but it took the changes handed to it very nicely.

I wasn't able to test the kite in low wind but expect it will fly early and well.

At about $900 the price point is very good. This kite is worth the money !!!

Skycountry have been around for a little while now. The company is solid but hasn't made in-roads over here yet. Please feel free to contact them about their product and how to give it a try before you buy. All previous Skycountry kites we have had are proving to stand up to the test of time + over-use very well. This is a product I can stand by !!! :cool:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 03:37 PM

Glad you liked it. B-Boy seemed to like it too. I thought we were going to have to use a crowbar to pry it out of his hands. Fifteen knots (8 m/s) is what the designers say is the optimum wind so you had an excellent day to demo it.
When I was first flying it, the wind was lighter than the recommended minimum and it was still able to get my buggy going 40 km/h, (this may not sound like much but with a maximum tack of 300m the trees are coming up fast). I can hardly wait to try it with a harness that will allow me to sit properly in my buggy.
S
skycountry.ca

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country Reflex 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10m new 6m!
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Sky Country Alasca 10m - sold
Rhombus Firebee 3m (ret).
Libre Vampir Race Pro 2.6m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 05:11 PM

Yes,

I forgot to mention how B'boy took to this kite. He a has flown a bit of depower but is mostly a F.B' boy. Maybe not anymore :cool:. He has flown a TON of kites in his 2 short years The kid took to that kite like he owned it. He was riding in the buggy and had a grin from ear to ear ! One of the best kites He has ever flown , He said :thumbup:
He pretty much started flying it and then wouldn't let it go :singing: I was on Blades when I tried it.

This is a true snow kite and this makes it a great buggy kite as well ! The magic mesh over the inlets would be very handy on the beaches. Not even fine sand will make it through. No way sand is sticking to that slippy fabric. :borg:

I never looked to see if it has dirt outs, as if any would get in ! Does it Scudley ?

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 06:29 PM

No dirt outs, but in the two summers and one winter of flying them, I have never had anything get in to any of my Reflexes. It may be slippery but salty sand sticks to everything. (salt attracts moisture and the very thin film of liquid makes it sticky).
All Sky Country kites are made with Gelvenor. It is used for the wear sections of many paragliders. Heavy than Skytex, but much more durable according to a lot of paraglider websites. Gelvenor is a South African product. They have a web site showing how they make their fabrics and apply coatings. The fabric is multi-coated with layers for porosity control, UV resistance, etc. Nothings feels like new Gelvenor.

S
BladeRunner is flying the 10m on blades and I am flying my 4m in the buggy.

ALASCA 10 and Reflex 4.jpg - 15kB

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 06:56 PM

That sounds funny :singing:

But it's true :cool2:

Quote:
Originally posted by Scudley
Nothings feels like new Gelvenor.

S

Ken (K2)
Bluecro

[*] posted on 16-6-2012 at 12:48 AM

Hi I am looking for a Skycountry Alasca 10m, new or used.
dandre

Mood: Dems kite nerd fightin\' werds

[*] posted on 16-6-2012 at 04:04 AM

only North American distributor ( I think..)
http://www.skycountry.ca

from my research the general synopsis was two thumbs up, great performance, with a small added concern about resell values. My wager was people who DO have these kites like em quite a bit, and wouldn't want to sell them low. I haven't seen one in the year I've been a member. I saw a Madagascar, and maybe 2 reflex

I'd bet they're pretty versatile
Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-6-2012 at 02:25 PM

Looks like I am selling my Alasca. The cash will go toward 6m Reflex. It does not get enough use from me, much prefer FB.
EddieB was asking not much less than he paid for his Reflex. Believe me, he and Roland got a lot of use out of that kite. It is now a fifth hand. I flew it last week, still flies beautifully.
Ninety percent of Reflexes I've brought in are still with the original owners. Of the ones sold, half were sold because the owner was bought a new one for nicer colours. The other half because he hurt or scared himself.
S

8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
dandre

Mood: Dems kite nerd fightin\' werds

[*] posted on 16-6-2012 at 04:32 PM

Snatch dat. 10 will keep intermediates happies into uncomfortable winds.

RAM FTW

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio