Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Blade IV 8.5m
harddrive8

Mood: I feel like a kid waiting on Santa Clause!!!

[*] posted on 28-9-2008 at 10:54 AM
Blade IV 8.5m

After a bit of searching on the net to find some information about the Blade IV 8.5m, I came up with minimal information from reviewers. I've now had my Blade IV 8.5m for a little more than a week now, so I thought I'd share my findings thus far. I would like to say now that this is NOT a kite for someone just starting with power kites. This kite CAN and WILL hurt you if you don't know how to manage it. With that said, here's the low down...

Upon receiving my Blade 4 8.5m, I opened the box to find a well constructed storage bag. I quickly unsnapped the latches on the back of the bag to find the zipper so I could access the kite! I soon found the zippers for the bag wouldn’t be under those flaps, but instead each flap contains a zippered storage compartment. I didn’t bother too much with the study of those in thrill of getting to the kite. I closed the flaps and latched them back together and found the zippers I had somehow missed when pulling it out of the box. I opened the zippers and found my Blade 4 8.5m Rasta kite to be nicely packed with a securing strap around just the kite. I pulled it out in awe and rushed to get some handles and lines off of another kite.

I ran outside and started unfolding the kite for its maiden voyage and quickly giving a glance to all the features. I didn’t inspect it too closely before the first flight because I was looking forward to the flight. I did notice some of the bigger features of the kite though. Some of the ones that stood out to me were the mesh covering over the inlets of the cells. I really like this feature as it will help keep out larger debris. I also noticed that the velcro tabs to hold the bridles during storage released on one side. Prior to the Blade, the kites I had flown having these tabs had them sewn on both sides forcing me to fish the bridles through before securing them. I also noticed the bridles were real crisp and took note of the cross bridles and gave a quick glimpse to the AAA adjustments.

By this time, I was tired of looking at the kite on the ground and knew it was destined to be in the sky, and who am I to deny it that pleasure? So with winds gusting to 12mph and steady around 7 to 10mph, I connected the lines and walked them out. I gave a good pull to the power lines and up she went, and shortly after up I went as well! I must say I weigh in at around 205 pounds and stand 6 feet tall. I was shocked that it pulled me up effortlessly. Just as smoothly as I went up, I was set back down during a small gust.

The biggest concern I had when I bought it was the turning speed of it. I must say that with the cross bridle settings, I’m very pleased with the Blade’s ability to adapt to the preference of the fliers turning speed. It’s not as quick as a 4m or 5m, but it is by no means sluggish about turning, even with no brake input. If the turn is initiated with some brake input also, it will turn dead on a wingtip.

I also had the chance that same evening to pull it out in some lower winds blowing around 3 to 5 steady. With the winds being lower, I adjusted the AAA to the low wind setting. It took a little jog backwards, but once it was in the air it continued to fly with very little active movement by me (no more jogging backwards). It didn’t pull as hard as in the earlier winds, but it did still let me know it was attached to the lines.

One other note, reverse launching this kite produces almost as much power as it does when launching with the leading edge facing up.

Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase. It will serve well in the light wind days as well as moderate wind days. It is currently my favorite kite and will be hard to knock from that position by any kite. This kite is a brute kite that is very powerful and has no problems delivering. I’m setting out now to save up for the 6.5m Blade 4 so the fun will continue if I find myself in winds a little to much for the 8.5m…

HQ Beamer III 1.4m
HQ Beamer III 3.0m
Pansh Legend 4.5m
KiteProject

[*] posted on 28-9-2008 at 11:28 AM

Congratulations! Blade IVs are amazing kites. I have Blade IV 8.5 once and was amazed at the smooth power generated by the kite. I flew the kite in very low wind, probably 4-6 mph.

Having said all that, treat Blade IV with a lot of respect. The kite has smooth power delivery but it's a very powerful kite nevertheless. Make sure you know the forecast and are using the right size kite for the winds. A wind meter is a great investment in your health.
harddrive8

[*] posted on 28-9-2008 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KiteProject
Congratulations! Blade IVs are amazing kites. I have Blade IV 8.5 once and was amazed at the smooth power generated by the kite. I flew the kite in very low wind, probably 4-6 mph.

Having said all that, treat Blade IV with a lot of respect. The kite has smooth power delivery but it's a very powerful kite nevertheless. Make sure you know the forecast and are using the right size kite for the winds. A wind meter is a great investment in your health.

In deed, it is a very powerful kite. I found that even at the edge of the window, the kite still seemed to produce more than I anticipated.

I usually use weather.com for the wind forecast and how flags, trees, etc are moving to judge it more for the exact location. I also usually start with a kite I feel will fly but not be overpowering to get stretched a bit and feel out how the wind is acting over a bit longer time period. Even with that though, I'm still trying to find which wind meter will work best for me, as well as not break the bank.

HQ Beamer III 1.4m
HQ Beamer III 3.0m
Pansh Legend 4.5m
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-9-2008 at 12:33 PM

Maybe it's just me but I think wind meters are way over rated :dunno:

Around here the wind is usually greater up where the kite is anyway :crazy:

I can usually guess the wind speed pretty accurately. When I get home and see the wind chart for the day I usually agree. If I'm 1st out and am not sure what to fly I always choose a kite on the small size of what I suspect I need. That way I'm ready for gusts.

If I had the money for a wind meter I would buy a GPS :yes:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
KiteProject

[*] posted on 28-9-2008 at 03:14 PM

I bought a wind meter after a few sessions (and a close call with a Blade IV) as a newbie and have been very pleased with my investment. As a newbie, I didn't have any intuition about the wind speeds and could've hurt myself. So, I don't think that wind meters are over rated. On the contrary, they are quite useful. I used to check the weather at weather.com and show up at the beach only to find that wind is either gusting up or just petering out and I am at the beach with the wrong size kite. No go. What I've found is that the beach is generally off by 5 mph than what weather.com forcasted. Ever since I've bought my wind meter, I am using right size kites. I'd rather know for a fact than guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
Maybe it's just me but I think wind meters are way over rated :dunno:

Around here the wind is usually greater up where the kite is anyway :crazy:

I can usually guess the wind speed pretty accurately. When I get home and see the wind chart for the day I usually agree. If I'm 1st out and am not sure what to fly I always choose a kite on the small size of what I suspect I need. That way I'm ready for gusts.

If I had the money for a wind meter I would buy a GPS :yes:
SCREWYFITS

Mood: Well... SCREWY as I wanna be!!!

[*] posted on 29-9-2008 at 09:26 PM

Great purchase harddrive...

nice review, I feel the same about my 6.5 but now I have the itch for the 8.5... noticed you have the 6.5 in progress... another great choice, probably a better one... I think you might like the 6.5 better due to your winds and be able to fly it more... be ready to sell that ace 6m also... good luck getting a 6.5 in your color rasta, I heard rumor they aren't selling them any more...

make sure you get lots of pics next time out with that 8.5 cuz I know you gotta be getting huge air with that bad boy...

congrats on your new kids, Screwy...

Naish, Helix 9m / ARX 11.5m
Flexifoil, Blade IV 6.5 Blade VIP 8.5
Peter Lynn Twister II 7.7m, Viper 2.6m x2, 3.9m x2, 5.3m, 6.8m, Reactor II 4.4m
Ozone, HAKA 5m (make an offer)
Flysurfer Titan 9.5m, Speed 10m
Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself" -Aldous Huxley
"Save a tree eat a beaver" -Someone Great-
Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
harddrive8

[*] posted on 29-9-2008 at 09:36 PM

I've actually only been picked up once by the 8.5 so far, and that was on the day I received it. Sandman caught the landing on video so any captured pics from video is out on that single lift. I feel sure there will be more lifts in the future though that I can capture from. We usually don't get much wind around here as it steadies between 4-8 on most days that there is any. We had uncharacteristic winds last week and I didn't get to fly the Blade too much because of it. With the front carrying 15+ mph winds, I didn't feel safe with it out of the bag and pulled out my trusty Beamers. I feel like the 6.5m would be a great kite for the 12-15mph range though and even be great to use in coastal winds.

I can't speak for how the 8.5 handles in comparison to the 6.5, but I'll be able to post later once I receive the 6.5m Blade IV. I just hated to see no more information about such a great kite than what's out there on the web.

HQ Beamer III 1.4m
HQ Beamer III 3.0m
Pansh Legend 4.5m
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-9-2008 at 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by harddrive8
I feel like the 6.5m would be a great kite for the 12-15mph range though and even be great to use in coastal winds.

At that speed, you're gonna have a blast and you're gonna go in the air with the 6.5. That's the sweet spot.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
harddrive8

[*] posted on 30-9-2008 at 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
Quote:
Originally posted by harddrive8
I feel like the 6.5m would be a great kite for the 12-15mph range though and even be great to use in coastal winds.

At that speed, you're gonna have a blast and you're gonna go in the air with the 6.5. That's the sweet spot.

I just wish that sweet spot would come more often than once or twice every couple months. There is often a breeze that is blowing here, but rarely a good wind. The Blade 8.5m fits great with the low winds we have, but won't have a chance to be pulled out when the winds increase. I'm also unsure how well it would be properly powered for coastal winds. For those reasons, I'm getting the 6.5m Blade IV to accompany the 8.5m.

HQ Beamer III 1.4m
HQ Beamer III 3.0m
Pansh Legend 4.5m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio