Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3.8 Peter Lynn Reactor (rookie review)
revpaul

Mood: let\'s boogie

thumbup.gif posted on 4-10-2008 at 07:10 PM
3.8 Peter Lynn Reactor (rookie review)

:wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee:
enough said:tumble:
OK I'll add a few comments...Lots of good things, one nit pick and one complaint.
*When I first got into this sport a name like 'Reactor' would have made me think "I'll never be at a level to need a kite with a name like Reactor."
I can't comment on quality of materials/craftsmanship because I do not know how to judge those things.
Straight out the bag with no tuning. One flight in decent, mildly gusty, wind.
The kite came with 20m lines and it handled very, very well. It did everything (turn, spin, slide, brake, reverse) extremely well with high precision and no feeling of over doing it or being at the edge. It handled like a Rev. No feeling of "boy, this thing is going to need a gett'n used to" I think I know what lifty is and I did not have problem with this kite. One time, not paying full attention, I had the kite very high ( i knew it was too high and I prepared for it) in a turn, with a good load of wind, it lightened me from the seat. nothing scary.
It is very quick. At one point, I was moving fast enough that a little daylight may have appeared between my tires and the ground. Not from lift, just a lot of forward speed and a riding out of slight dip in the terrain. I was on a grass field so you can assume the dip was not very deep.
*My brother was running w/ a 5m Scout (i know, lower AR) and I was easily out running him. This was not the case on our last session when I had a 3.5 Pepper against him and the 5m Scout.
nit pick is handles. I figured the handles would be a little more modern 'looking/design'. They are more comfortable than Pansh handles, they just look like Pansh handles:moon:
complaint. Unlike other manufacturer's complete kits, PL did not include KKs with their "complete package". I did not notice they weren't included until today and will have to get a set. shipping is a killer nowadays so this bites. my fault, just wished I noticed before shipping.
conclusion...
extremely satisfied with this kite and after one flight the PL Reactor 3.8m is easily my fav:singing:Sorry Blurr, I still luv ya:no:
thanks to you guys whom gave me a heads up on this kite:thumbup:
I will put the 5m Blurr on 20m line set to compare handling some time.
Paul

PKD-0.7m Buster, 1.4m Buster, 1.8m Century
HQ-Beamer III 3m
PL-Reactor 3.8m, Reactor II 6.9m
Ozone-IGNITION 1.6m, Little Devil 4.5m, 7.3m Frenzy
Pansh-Sprint Ltd Ed 5m, 7m Ace
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
FS- Pulse2 12m, Speed 1.5 17m, lots of Revs and dual line stunters
Sirocco Sprint 4.2, 5.2 -SIROCCOx 5.2-
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 11:15 PM

I think you will really like the Reactor :thumbup:
The only companies I know that include killers with the kite are HQ and Flexi. It just so happens you have bought those 2 brands.
Some companies like Ozone avoid mention of kite killers. Not everyone thinks they are the safest answer ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
revpaul

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 11:46 PM

I am very happy with the kite so far :bouncy:
Yep, HQ and Flexi. I never noticed whether or not other manufacturers included KKs with their Kite kits. I assumed most did:crazy:
I apologize to the Peter Lynn camp:duh: I can pay more attention next time thanks to the heads up Bladerunner.
Paul

HQ-Beamer III 3m
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
kiteNH

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
I think you will really like the Reactor :thumbup:
The only companies I know that include killers with the kite are HQ and Flexi. It just so happens you have bought those 2 brands.
Some companies like Ozone avoid mention of kite killers. Not everyone thinks they are the safest answer ?

Ozone provides kite killers with the Imp's and Cult according to their website. Not sure about the Haka. I think the Yaks are sold kite only. Killers were provided with the Riot as well.

I like Ozone's killers best because there is no buckle to loop the strap through which makes them easier for me to get in and out of. The Flexi and HQ killers certainly work just fine as well though.

I'm not sure if they are the safest thing but I've always felt that if I released to the killers in overpowered conditions that they dumped most of the power and allowed me to safely get the kite to the ground.

DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 07:45 AM

I have a PL twister that came with kk.

From what I can tell the following Peter Lynn kites come with kite killers :

Pepper II

Twister

Viper
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 08:16 AM

Yeah the Reactor 4.9 and 8.3 are probably the most often reached-for kites in my bag for fixed bridle. So easy and so smooth. The Blurr 5.0 is getting a lot of attention lately though.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 09:00 AM

OOPS !

We only have the 4.9 and 8.3 Reactors in town. I didn't realize P.L. or Ozone supply KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s :no:

It appears that both only supply them with the beginner kites.

KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s make sense for beginners but I'm not so sold on them for advanced riders ( IMHO ) If you keep to the downwind rule you shouldn't need them once you know how to fly out of trouble :puzzled:

Quote:
Originally posted by DAKITEZ
I have a PL twister that came with kk.

From what I can tell the following Peter Lynn kites come with kite killers :

Pepper II

Twister

Viper

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 09:06 AM

Yeah, after buying only HQ products initially, I was surprised to find that my reactors did not come with KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s.

Since then, I've used KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s from Flexi, Ozone and PL. I actually find the newer PL KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s to be really comfortable along with the ones from Flexi. I'm not too crazy about the Ozone ones but they do allow for a quick exit in the event you need to ditch the killers.

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards
revpaul

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 11:10 AM

Glad to hear the newer PL KKs are comfy. i'll order up a set but it'll have to wait, $15 KKs and $25 shipping sucks a$$:no:
Paul

HQ-Beamer III 3m
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by revpaul
Glad to hear the newer PL KKs are comfy. i'll order up a set but it'll have to wait, $15 KKs and $25 shipping sucks a$$:no:
Paul

WOW !! $25 shipping

If you bought them here in the states tell the person you bought them from the ship them in a usps flat rate envelope. Its only $8 or $9.
revpaul

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
Yeah the Reactor 4.9 and 8.3 are probably the most often reached-for kites in my bag for fixed bridle. So easy and so smooth. The Blurr 5.0 is getting a lot of attention lately though.

Angus,
cool, an experienced, knowledgeable pilot :spin: with similar equipment.
i realize there is a bit of apples to oranges here.
are your two Reactors on longer line sets than the 20m length shipped w/3.8m? If the big guys come with longer line set I'm wondering if they handle, relatively, as well/precise as the 3.8m.
How do you compare the Blurr's handling to a Reactor?
I had the 5m and 7m Blurrs out yesterday but the wind had faded into thin air:mad: and i could not compare.
I have no complaints about the Blurr, I just do not remember being so impressed with the handling of any kite other than my Barresi series Rev, a couple of my delta stunters, and the 3.8m Reactor.
Paul

HQ-Beamer III 3m
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
revpaul

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAKITEZ
Quote:
Paul

WOW !! $25 shipping

If you bought them here in the states tell the person you bought them from the ship them in a usps flat rate envelope. Its only $8 or $9.

yep, i was being a bit of an a$$. it's more the wait that get's me. Vincent, from Horizon kites here in town, sells HQ and some PL stuff. I'll give him a call. Too bad for me though, Derek just ordered a bunch of KKs, handles and stuff from somewhere? and I have a small order of stuff from Kent on it's it way. If i'd only known:no:
Paul

HQ-Beamer III 3m
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 11:55 AM

I have mine on 25m sets and they are fine.

One thing I find about the Reactors are that, a smooth and stable as they are, if you do manage to luff the kite, the bridles are prone to snag a lot more than other kites. It's the big knots in the toggles that act like grappling hooks.

I find the Blurr even more stable than the Reactor somehow and a bit more powerful. A funny quality of the Blurr is that when you hot launch right into the window even in strong winds, it won't over-power, in fact it appears sluggish as if the brakes are too tight. (they are not). Get it moving though and it powers up smooth and strong. It's the strangest (and welcome) behavior and I cannot quite put my finger on any design element that would explain it.
Another thing is that for such a fast kite, it is bridled at every cell instead of every iother with d-ribs in between. They use very thin cross-section bridles though and that cuts the drag I suppose. But with so many bridle lines it holds its shape very well. Luff the kite in a bad turn (hard to do) and it will likely power up in the same direction as where you left it.

I have sold 2 Blurrs since the JIBE as a result of people trying mine out, and they are more spendy even than the Blade. It is gratifying though to see someone go flying by in buggy with the Blurr and shouting "I have to have one of these!!!"

Winds are NE and over 20 mph today and I suspect it will be Blurry.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
revpaul

[*] posted on 6-10-2008 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
I have mine on 25m sets and they are fine.

One thing I find about the Reactors are that, a smooth and stable as they are, if you do manage to luff the kite, the bridles are prone to snag a lot more than other kites. It's the big knots in the toggles that act like grappling hooks.

I find the Blurr even more stable than the Reactor somehow and a bit more powerful. A funny quality of the Blurr is that when you hot launch right into the window even in strong winds, it won't over-power, in fact it appears sluggish as if the brakes are too tight. (they are not). Get it moving though and it powers up smooth and strong. It's the strangest (and welcome) behavior and I cannot quite put my finger on any design element that would explain it.
Another thing is that for such a fast kite, it is bridled at every cell instead of every iother with d-ribs in between. They use very thin cross-section bridles though and that cuts the drag I suppose. But with so many bridle lines it holds its shape very well. Luff the kite in a bad turn (hard to do) and it will likely power up in the same direction as where you left it.

I have sold 2 Blurrs since the JIBE as a result of people trying mine out, and they are more spendy even than the Blade. It is gratifying though to see someone go flying by in buggy with the Blurr and shouting "I have to have one of these!!!"

Winds are NE and over 20 mph today and I suspect it will be Blurry.

thnaks for the info...
"if you do manage to luff the kite, the bridles are prone to snag a lot more than other kites. It's the big knots in the toggles that act like grappling hooks."
yep, this happened to me once. those are biiiggg knots. used to happen often with the panshes too.
Paul

HQ-Beamer III 3m
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
RonH

Mood: Missing Sunset Beach

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 08:27 PM

Do you still need KKs?

I have an Ozone set from a riot...

Shipping from BC to Alberta should not be much. :smilegrin:

Ron
revpaul

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RonH
Do you still need KKs?

I have an Ozone set from a riot...

Shipping from BC to Alberta should not be much. :smilegrin:

Ron

Hi Ron,
Yes, I could use a set of Ozone KKs for my 4.5 LD. do they come with the kite:smilegrin:
you used them much?
i might order some stuff (dry bag, fender thingy and footpeg thingies) for my PL Race buggy and I will order the PL KKs then.
Paul

HQ-Beamer III 3m
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
RonH

Mood: Missing Sunset Beach

[*] posted on 10-10-2008 at 07:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, I could use a set of Ozone KKs for my 4.5 LD. do they come with the kite:smilegrin:
you used them much?
i might order some stuff (dry bag, fender thingy and footpeg thingies) for my PL Race buggy and I will order the PL KKs then.

Sure, the KKs can come with the kite... They will be the most expensive KKs around though.:smilegrin:

I used them while I was learning to ride in the buggy... I only had to let go once in a huge gust of wind. They work as advertised and the kite just stopped.

If you are getting the stuff from ripsession, I can put them in the package... Nice to have him close by.:spin:

Let me know.

Ron

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio