Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: waist or seat harness?
mgatc

[*] posted on 18-10-2008 at 06:39 PM
waist or seat harness?

Hey guys
Wondering on the best type of harness. I am learning to landboard as well as kite surf and I am trying to decide wether to get a seat harness or waist harness. I plan to learn to freestyle. Can anyone list the pros and cons?
revpaul

Mood: let\'s boogie

[*] posted on 18-10-2008 at 06:52 PM

sorry dude, they both suck as far as comfort is concerned:eekdrull:
i was in your shoes recently. my first de-power came with a pretty good waist harness. it rode up around the bottom of my rib cage.
i shelled out for a decent Prolimit seat harness. i would have tried a Dakine but they didn't have my size. anyhoo, the seat harness rides up as well (not as high) and add to that a constant pull/rub in your 'boy's room.
i read somewhere that one should not cinch harness too tight or too loose. i haven't found the sweet spot yet:no:
others comment that you don't really feel the pain until the flying is done. that is close to the truth as long as you have good wind and are actually moving/having fun.
others will comment but i think (i don't do water yet) that most k-srfrs use seat.
Paul

PKD-0.7m Buster, 1.4m Buster, 1.8m Century
HQ-Beamer III 3m
PL-Reactor 3.8m, Reactor II 6.9m
Ozone-IGNITION 1.6m, Little Devil 4.5m, 7.3m Frenzy
Pansh-Sprint Ltd Ed 5m, 7m Ace
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
FS- Pulse2 12m, Speed 1.5 17m, lots of Revs and dual line stunters
Sirocco Sprint 4.2, 5.2 -SIROCCOx 5.2-
mgatc

[*] posted on 18-10-2008 at 06:57 PM

Thanks man..
yeah i was kinda worried about the "pain" but i figured it was a neccisary evil... I guess I dont really understand the benefit or lack there of of a seat harness? does it restrict freestyle movements?
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 18-10-2008 at 08:18 PM

freestyle is easieat for most witha waist. the ride up thing i never liked . i got a prolimit seat and wouldn't give it up, really keeps the bar height stable. your build should direct you the most.

if your harnessed properly should be comfortable , almost forget it's there feeling.

i've been harnessed for 4-5hours no problems. needs to be solid fit, slack or too much movement ,,you're gonna have problems,

get a good fitting harness you will have a better "feel" of what the kite is doing with out looking.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-10-2008 at 09:34 AM

I have noticed over time that no one ever seems to complain about their Mystic Warrior harness :thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe because after shelling out the $ it takes you have to love it ?

If you have a shop near you it is the way to go. Most shops have a bar you can swing from to get a feel.

I will be spending the extra for a Mystic Warrior for my next harness. The Warrior II is out so the original may be available second hand soon ?

I have a Dakine impact vest harness that is very comfortable. Problem is it is way too hot for nice days on land.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 19-10-2008 at 10:13 AM

The Mystic Warriior is a great harness. Waist harenesses will ride up if you do not have the right body shape (waist a lot smaller than the chest) I have the Waist-seat version that stays around my slighlty pudgy belly well, thanks to the leg straps. I use mine in the buggy, where it is a bit overkill for such a nice harness, but the lower seat portion is of minimal bulk so it sits in the bug seat just fine. The Warriors are very popular on our beach with the kitebaorders.

I have some 07 Warrior Waist-seat in S, L and XL that I will let go cheap if anyone is interested. I normally do not spam here, but since it came up....

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
revpaul

Mood: let\'s boogie

[*] posted on 19-10-2008 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
The Mystic Warriior is a great harness. Waist harenesses will ride up if you do not have the right body shape (waist a lot smaller than the chest) I have the Waist-seat version that stays around my slighlty pudgy belly well, thanks to the leg straps. I use mine in the buggy, where it is a bit overkill for such a nice harness, but the lower seat portion is of minimal bulk so it sits in the bug seat just fine. The Warriors are very popular on our beach with the kitebaorders.

I have some 07 Warrior Waist-seat in S, L and XL that I will let go cheap if anyone is interested. I normally do not spam here, but since it came up....

that ain't spam. it's helpful. :spin:

PKD-0.7m Buster, 1.4m Buster, 1.8m Century
HQ-Beamer III 3m
PL-Reactor 3.8m, Reactor II 6.9m
Ozone-IGNITION 1.6m, Little Devil 4.5m, 7.3m Frenzy
Pansh-Sprint Ltd Ed 5m, 7m Ace
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
FS- Pulse2 12m, Speed 1.5 17m, lots of Revs and dual line stunters
Sirocco Sprint 4.2, 5.2 -SIROCCOx 5.2-
mgatc

[*] posted on 19-10-2008 at 01:06 PM

This mystic warrior is it good/can freestyle riding be done with it?
speleopower

[*] posted on 19-10-2008 at 02:52 PM

I've been using a Dakine XT Seat harness for many years.

If you get it adjusted correctly it doesn not hurt or really ride up much. You gotta keep adjusting till you get it right.

If you keep the bar height low you can more easily do "freestyle". Your center of gravity is in the hips and if the bar is at your hips you can rotate around easier.

But bottomline is everyone prefers a different harness. I've gone through lots of harnesses and always go back to my Dakine XT Seat harnesses.

See ya-Scott

Quadrifoil Competition XXXL x2
Quadrifoil Competition XXL
Quadrifoil Competition XM
Quadrifoil Q2000 5 meter
Quadrifoil Q2000 4 meter
Quadrifoil Qebra 3 meter
Flexifoil Blade IV 4.9 meter
Flexifoil Blade 3 10.5 meter

Flexifoil Kava
7\'3\" Hana Crew custom
6\'6\" Hana Crew custom-on Saipan
F-One 7\'3\"
Cabrina 5\'6\"-for sale
2x homebrew plywood wake/kite boards
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 20-10-2008 at 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgatc
This mystic warrior is it good/can freestyle riding be done with it?

Most definately built for the rigors of freestyle. It's Mystic's top end in that regard. I'm not a kiteboarder but its the choice of the instructors on our beach.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
zero gee

[*] posted on 20-10-2008 at 07:07 AM

The Ocean Rodeo Session harness is an awesome harness system with features well thought out and constructed for kiting. It's a waist harness with suspended leg straps like a climbing harness. These leg straps do an excellent job of holding down the harness. Since they are not attached to the harness like a seat harness they allow full freedom of movement. The leg straps on seat harnesses can be restrictive.
Jason-G

[*] posted on 20-10-2008 at 08:03 AM

I started with a Dakine Fusion seat harness and liked it at first but stopped liking it when I started going up with the kite and the straps by my crotch would jeperdize my jewls - it cost alot and I got a small (I have a 32 inch waste) but my mystic firestarter waste harness is a world of a difference - It doesn't ride up and is very comfortable, I don't even think about it when flying now

JG
edk442

[*] posted on 7-6-2009 at 06:18 PM

i was waiting for someone to mention the OR Session. It's by far the harness of choice with the riders in my area. The first order of Session2 harness flew out the door at my local shop. I've got a session2 on order that's been delayed because they can't manufacture them fast enough. I'm expecting big things from it :)

I decided to go with OR Session as it follows a similar concept of the Ozone Access XC snowkite harness which i'm really fond of
snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 24-6-2009 at 08:18 AM

Deff if your a beginner go with a seat, then dont ride up, its easier to manage the kite( hold it down), your center of gravity is lower, chicken loop and bar stay lower and within reach. My wife just got the OR and loves. I have graduated from the Dakine fusion (seat) and now ride the Dakine renegade(waist). It was recommended to me by some people in Hatteras, i demoed it at Real and love it. Light and very comfy, pluss its half the price of the warrior
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 24-6-2009 at 08:59 AM

Hi man

Not gonna try and sell you on anything.
I started with a cheap waist harness and after an hour it was around my armpits, plus when it came up over my ribs it felt like it was pulling the floating ribs with it.
So I got a used Dakine fusion, worked well. Never rode up, leg straps never bothered me and it had a lower center of gravity for the pull from the kite. This helped as I was learning to kiteboard or kitesurf. The lower pull made it easier to get up on the board in the water, I didn't have to fight getting pulled right over the board.
I also learned to jump with it and never noticed any pulling in the groin area.
On the bad side because the pull was a little lower I found body dragging a little harder. Instead of being able to straighten out and let the kite pull me up wind it wanted to lift me up, or kind flip me over. My feet wanted to come up and my head down. I could do it but it was a little difficult. Others have told me they had no problems.
Also I found it difficult to ride toeside hooked in. There was no spreader movment and I kept hitting myself with the bar because it was close and the kite would turn, actually I usually wiped out.
This is my third year on the water and I've gone back to the waist harness. I have a little more experiance but find body dragging upwind effortless with it and toe side is easier as the harness shifts a little to the side allowing me to get the bar farther away. Also spins during jumps are a little easier. The waist harness kept me pretty straight learning jumps.
As I said my waist harness was old so I just bought a new Mystic firestarter and haven't had wind for 3 weeks.
Right now I am watching the wind and may be out for a ride later, if so I will let you know what I think of the firestarter.
Anyway not trying to sell anything just letting you know the differences I found. Like others have said different body types will find harnesses different.
Good Luck
John
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-6-2009 at 09:05 PM

I got a Dakine Fusion cos they're supposed to be better for bad backs ... I'm still learning so freestyle to me is body dragging with my feet down-wind :lol:
I'm a fatty so it's tight and even the largest leg straps are tight. I've worn it for 3 hours straight without any major discomfort though. Expect to put on a bulge-show too.
Found that cos the kite is often above my head that the spreader bar tends to dig into my flab :D body dragging is a little difficult too but not impossible.

I'm thinking that I will get a waste harness eventually, as I think I need one for the land kiting - the shoulder strap I use and just holding the handles doesn't bother my back ... but I'll hang on to the seat. The Mystic whatsi is top of my list too ...

Dude, it's only money. Try before you buy too, if you can ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio