Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New to kitesurfing, few questions
NHT Kitesurfer

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 10:56 AM
New to kitesurfing, few questions

Hi all, I am actually completely new to surfing. I saw a video a couple of years ago of someone who kite surfed from Catalina Island to LA harbor, and have wanted to give it a go ever since then. I am finally taking some time off in a few weeks to take lessons and purchase equipment in Fort Lauderdale FL. I have an instructional video from IKO: Progression beginner. It seems like a great source to begin with. I can obviously see from the vid. that practice is the only way to figure it out, but I am familiar with the terms now as well as equipment etc.

A couple of things:

I plan to mostly be surfing on the North Shore of MA, specifically in Nahant, as my family has a place there that I will be able to launch from. With this in mind can anyone recommend a wetsuit brand/type? From the searching I have done online, it looks like I should get a 302 or 403 full suit. Also what about the neoprene under suit?

Another thing, I am also hoping to be able to do some kite-skiing. Can anyone tell me if I can use the same harness and kite etc. to do this as I would for surfing?

I am really looking forward to this, and any thoughts/ideas would really be helpful.

Is there a group on here that surfs on the North Shore of MA, or perhaps the NH seacoast, or even Nahant? I have seen a number of kites on the beaches in Nahant, so I know some people do surf there.

Cheers!
:singing:
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 11:26 AM

hi

kitesurfer on water is not a self-learning thing, you should book a lesson even if you watched the IKO video. Theory and practice are 2 different things in that sport.

you should also start training with a small kite on the ground first. Lot of threads on that topic, just search them.

At this time of the year, a 3/2 or 4/3 wetsuit (which are neoprene also), could be a bit cold. I would go with a 5/3 or 6/4. But learning kitesurf on water, you spend too much time in the water not actually surfing at the beginning), so weather temp at this time of the year is not appropriate to learn kitesurf. TOO COLD.

It would be a good idea, to progress with static flying a small kite until the snow, then go snowkite for this winter, and learn kitesurf at the beginning of the summer, or in the spring on south vacation (like Cap Hatteras).

Learning to fly a kite on ground speeds up the learning phase on water.

For kite recommendation, that all depends on your preference. If you want a foil that goes water/snow, Flysurfer, HQ Neo, or Peter Lynn twin skins are good for that.

You can still use an inflatable too in the snow, but less fun during winter.

snow/water = same harness

But there are so many types, so many brands, that it's hard to decide. You have to read reviews about them, and figure out what's best 4 u

That all depends also on your budget.

Yo can manage a not too old board + inflatable used kite for 1k$, but you'll find out soon you want more gear, and end up spending thousands of $$$ on recent stuff (many kiter and boards).

We become addicted buying gear.

If you buy used stuff (which is better when learning), don't buy too old stuff. Keep 2006 and + models. Security/depower on older models lack.
kiteNH

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 04:29 PM

One local shop is Powerline Sports up in Seabrook, NH. Not sure if you have anything more local. They'll take good care of you. 1-888-987-WIND. Try to find a local shop that you're comfortable dealing with. Stay away from eBay until you know exactly what you're looking at.

If I were you'd I'd get a trainer ASAP. Something 2 or 3 meters. Tough to beat the price on this one, but I think its only 2 liner. (http://www.powerlinesports.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct...)

Then I'd get an Ozone Access and get out and snowkite as much as possible this winter. Then I'd get a tube kite in the spring and get water lessons. Snowkiting should help a lot on the learning curve. Nahant is also great for landboarding. Just my 2 cents....lots of ways to get into the sport.

NHT Kitesurfer

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 06:27 PM

thanks very much for the info all

I am def. planning on taking lessons, the video seems to be a good tool to see some concepts and understand terminology, but that is no substitute for lessons.
NPWfever
Posting Freak

Mood: Is now a P2 pilot, flying a Charly One Harness, and an Ozone Buzz Z =D

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 07:28 PM

I would spend the extra cash on a trainer and get a 4 line one. I got a 2 line and regret doing so. I can't use it for anything at this point other than stunt flying.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.northtexas...

I would get that, but MAKE SURE if you get a 4 line trainer, get it with a bar, you will learn how to fly a kitesurfing kite much faster if you start on a bar than on handles.

\"Once you have flown you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return\" Leonardo Da Vinci

2m Junkie
P3 Prism Stylus
3m Goflyakite Foil
5.5m NPW9b (Homemade)
6m Ozone Access
8m Pansh Ace
11m S-ARC
14m Naish Boxer
17m Peter Lynn Bomba
Kitewing (Homemade)
Kitebuggy (Homemade)
Skis for buggy
Skis for feet
Best Waist Harness
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 01:19 AM

And fly, fly, fly. Once you hit the water there will be plenty of other stuff to pay attention to. You need to know how to fly well. I speak from experience - snowkite, buggy, rollerblades.....hit the water though and it was clear that I STILL didn't know how to fly well enough to not hinder my progress. I'll stick it next summer but now am ready for the snow again!

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 02:18 PM

YUP!,

You want to get a trainer kite and start flying. Also get a harness and get used to hooking in. Learn to fly it without looking at the kite. How to fly it sitting down facing backwards and in every other odd position. Blind, with one hand ! All of these are situations you will meet later , so better to practice !!! You can NEVER spend too much time on your trainer !

You can get foils with handles or a bar. You will be moving to kites with a bar so handles may not be what you want at 1st ?

HQ make some great trainer kites. You may want to look at the Scout, Aqua or Apex. All come on a bar. The Scout is fixed bridle and more simple to fly. The Apex and Aqua are depower kites , like the type of kite you will use on the water and snow.

Sensei makes about the cheapest kite you would want. It is the only 2 line kite I would ever recommend. ( avoid all others ) With it you will need to buy a D-loop for hooking in to your harness extra. So factor that in. HQ come with everything you need in one neat package!

Don't be fooled, a 3m kite delivers PLENTY of power. I used my 3m trainer for my 1st snowkiting runs ! If you invest in a good trainer it will serve as your high wind kite on snow later ! Even if you haven't invested in a larger kite, with a harness, skiis or snowboard and your trainer you can have a go at it on a very windy day !

As mentioned you are better off with a used 2006 or newer kite for your 1st water kite. You will be very hard on your 1st kite + fall in love with another. Inflatable kites work well on land. Flysurfer, Peter Lynn arcs and the HQ Neo + Aqua are foil kites with closed cells for both land and water.

A good set of lessons is of huge value ! You will learn important safety / self rescue tips . The lessons will get you up and able to handle yourself in a few days. Trying to work it out alone can take a whole lot longer . Even then you may be lacking important info on how to deal with yourself + others out on the water.

Have fun and be safe !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio