Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pics kiting with my new doom wheels!
dufter

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 14-11-2004 at 11:16 PM
pics kiting with my new doom wheels!

What a rush! Just built my doom wheels last weekend with 3 other buddies. Thanks for the plans! And thanks to Deuce Coop for the great lead on cheap wheels at northerntool.com!!! We paid half of what the wheels were going to cost in town. And it looked awesome opening a box of 16 wheels!!!

Here are some pictures of me cruising today. I even managed a few little jumps! Would you believe it snowed a foot here a few weeks ago? I was using my 13m Flysurfer Psycho 2. Don't worry, the field is much bigger than it looks... :yes:

doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 15-11-2004 at 02:27 AM

Great pics and good news about the cheap wheels. Love to see pics of the 3 of you rolling at once! Chance of skating with you guys at the NABX near Vegas next April? Roll on!

wzrd

Mood: Gotta find some wide open spaces

[*] posted on 24-11-2004 at 03:53 PM
Serious kite

that is a serious kite. from the pic it looks like it can generate some huge pull.

thanks for posting the pics. hopefully I will have some in the near future.
lotsascabs

[*] posted on 24-11-2004 at 05:20 PM

Wow, thats a big kite. I havent had the guts to try my doomwheels with my ten meter Voodoo. The pics look a lot like Alberta, do you live in Edmonton?
dufter

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 12:15 AM

Ya, it is in the field behind the YMCA by the former Heritage Mall. I take it you live here too???
dufter

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wzrd
that is a serious kite. from the pic it looks like it can generate some huge pull.

Huge pull indeed! We had about 10 knts today and I was going faster than I have ever gone on the doom wheels. The Psycho 2 is not for the faint of heart!

Don't you just love it when they are in the process of building a new freeway 15 minutes from your house?:yes: If you were going to have the city build you a purpose built kite-park, this baby would be the blueprint!

dufter

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 12:41 AM

A few things to note for anyone looking to get into this sport.

1) Don't Do IT!!!

2) If you won't follow rule number one, purchase padding for your body. Notice my helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and impact vest/harness.

3) Your first time on the doom wheels should be on a nice smooth surface like a soccer field because you don't want to have to deal with trying to maintain your balance on your new toys with rough terrain. It should also be in wind that feels impossibly light. You will get overpowered very easily since doom wheels have way less resistance than a kiteboard or skis/snowboards.

4) If your doom wheels feel awkward, you didn't build them properly. They should feel just like skis. This sport is far too hairy to be using equipment that doesn't feel quite right. My best advice is to follow the build instructions perfectly and you will be delighted with the product. Modifications to the building procedure will only create a sub-par product. My two friends who deviated from the instructions will tell you that. :(

5) Prepare to have fun like you've never had!
wzrd

Mood: Gotta find some wide open spaces

[*] posted on 30-11-2004 at 02:12 PM

Thanks for the extra pics. Looks awesome!

Just reading your advice is invaluable. If you read my test drive report I posted a few days ago, I had heavily muddy/clay conditions. At least there was a soft patch whenever/wherever I wiped out. Sqweltch! :lol:

I got some help with building my Doomwheels from a friend (he had the workshop/tools), and he was convinced that aluminium would work fine. Again i agree with your comment about building it to spec, or suffer the consequences.

At low speeds alu is probably ok, but just a few more mph creates huge amounts of force, sending those rails bending.

Wzrd
lotsascabs

[*] posted on 13-12-2004 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dufter
Ya, it is in the field behind the YMCA by the former Heritage Mall. I take it you live here too???
Ya live in Edmonton as well. Maybe we could get out and winter kite together, Cooking Lake is good place.
dufter

[*] posted on 22-12-2004 at 04:51 PM

Sounds good. We probably already know one another. I'm High Speed Dave. You must know Mike if you have a flysurfer. Give him a ring and head out with us!!!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio