Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: lets compare the ozone flow to the samurai
Dagon

Mood: ready to buggy

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 10:17 AM
lets compare the ozone flow to the samurai

I have not flown a flow, but they sound a lot like the old samurai I. can anyone who has flown both compare the two side by side?

NAPKRA: US32
my bag:
Ted's Profoil 1.5m
HQ beamer 1.4m
Ozone Samurai 2.0m
JoJo RM+ 2.5m, 3m
PL Vapor 3.8m
PL Viper S 5.3m
Ozone Frenzy 05 10m
PKD Century 6.5m
Libre Hardcore
Libre V-Max
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 12:32 PM

They are both considered medium aspect ratio kites that behave awesome, super stable and very predictable even in nasty gusty winds.

But...

That's where the similarities end.

The Ozone Flow has been constructed from the ground up as a completely new sail design. Although similar to the other sail designs (come on, how much different can ya get for ram-air foils?) It does incorporate some very unique features. Most of the innovations appear inside the kite, the Flow uses an abundance of internal cross bracing and d-rib technology that help keep the foil stiffer through the air with less dependency on external pressures which allows the shape of the foil to be retained better - thus producing better flying characteristics as well as increased power and stability. This also reduces the need for massive external bridles to help support the wing. Minimal bridles result in a huge reduction in parasitic drag. The reduction in drag gives the Flow an impressive amount of speed for a medium aspect ratio kite and as we know, speed means more power. :) This is the same technology that Ozone has incorporated in the Yakuza GT - picture of the D-ribs and bridles below.

Another awesome feature of the Flow is that the leading edge intake vents are located further down on the face of the foil, giving the leading edge a smooth and nonrestrictive airflow shape. The intake vents are now covered with a fine mesh as well, helping in keeping the leading edge from distorting at the vent locations and maintaining the overall shape of the leading edge of the kite.

All the '09 kites from Ozone including the Flow now come with large accessible "dirt-outs" in the wing tips, making it super easy to clean debris from the kite. The inside of the kites are also designed to channel dirt to the wing tips quickly to make cleaning the kites out simple and fast. No need to spend hours working sand back out of the kite through the vents!

Lines and handles are the same tested and proven equipment that Ozone has been supplying for years. Very comfortable and strong.

If I was to compare the Flow with an earlier version from Ozone I think it would most compare to the Little Devil series except the Flow is a rocket ship with all the latest features!!! It is super predictable, stability is awesome even in crappy gusty winds and it has a solid power curve that increases with the speed of the kite. During NABX we were buggying with the 2.0 meter flow in gusty winds that were hitting 35+ mph. I hit a top speed of 49.6 mph with the Flow without even trying. Many were impressed that the kite was so stable in those conditions even though it was a small kite. They were more impressed with just how fast the kite was.

If you get the chance to fly one of the Flow's then be prepared to whip out the cash and take one home. The Flow is an awesome kite that is THAT good!

Here is a picture of the Yakuza GT back-lit to see the D-rib construction.

YakGT-D-ribs.jpg - 76kB

B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by awindofchange
The intake vents are now covered with a fine mesh as well, .

Urgh, it was all sounding so well until I hit that point.

I hate mesh covered cells.
:thumbdown:

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Roc

Why do you hate them? All my Reflexes my Alasca have mesh covered cells. I like them. Nothing gets inside and the mesh keeps the cell opening shape the constant.
I did not like the mesh on my Bullets. It was next to useless on keeping sand out and did not keep the cell openings from distorting.
S

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country Reflex 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10m new 6m!
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Sky Country Alasca 10m - sold
Rhombus Firebee 3m (ret).
Libre Vampir Race Pro 2.6m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
Dagon

Mood: ready to buggy

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 04:30 PM

that flow sounds so nice, I love my samurai's (well now there is only one) but I may have to pick up a flow. The price is right with those kites, very solid deal for a new kite.
Of course then there is the GT, that looks so so so very nice.

NAPKRA: US32
my bag:
Ted's Profoil 1.5m
HQ beamer 1.4m
Ozone Samurai 2.0m
JoJo RM+ 2.5m, 3m
PL Vapor 3.8m
PL Viper S 5.3m
Ozone Frenzy 05 10m
PKD Century 6.5m
Libre Hardcore
Libre V-Max
awindofchange
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 04:39 PM

The nice thing about the Flow is that it can be purchased "Kite Only" which will save you a ton if you already have lines/handles. Of course it can also be purchased with a control bar or handles at a very reasonable price (for those that don't line to switch lines on each kite - like me!).

2.0 meter Flow starts at $215.00
Ozone Flow Pricing

B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scudley
Quote:
Originally posted by B-Roc

Why do you hate them? All my Reflexes my Alasca have mesh covered cells. I like them. Nothing gets inside and the mesh keeps the cell opening shape the constant.
I did not like the mesh on my Bullets. It was next to useless on keeping sand out and did not keep the cell openings from distorting.
S

I hate the ones on the blade III series because they are a woven fiber which have a tendency to snag grass (and especially snow) and after snagging the fibers tend to bunch, pull and tangle leaving a rather messy look to an otherwise perfect kite.

I will say the mesh material on my son's Sting II is all synthetic and more of a screen then a woven mesh and that seems OK but I was quite put off to mesh screen covers based on my experience with my blade and its mesh distortion after only one ski season.

I'm assuming the IV series has a mesh like the Sting II series and hopefully so does the flow. If not, I personally, would not by a kite with the woven mesh ever again.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
awindofchange
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 05:33 PM

The mesh on the Flow I would guess is more of the synthetic type, almost like a screen door material but stronger. We have been flying them on grass and the dry lake bed and have not had any issues at all with them snagging anything or getting tangled up. I will watch it a bit more carefully and also drag one around a bit to see if there is any potential problems with it but I am pretty sure none will surface. The vents are also tucked in pretty far on the belly of the kite, not out in front like most kites so snag issues would be minimal anyways.

We'll have them out once again at our demo fly this Friday, I will put one through the test and see what goes.

Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 10:52 PM

The mesh on my Reflex is so fine I had to use a magnifying glass to see the individual threads ~ 5 threads per mm. The mesh seems to be about 75% open 25% thread.
S

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country Reflex 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10m new 6m!
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Sky Country Alasca 10m - sold
Rhombus Firebee 3m (ret).
Libre Vampir Race Pro 2.6m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 14-4-2009 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scudley
The mesh on my Reflex is so fine I had to use a magnifying glass to see the individual threads ~ 5 threads per mm. The mesh seems to be about 75% open 25% thread.
S

the nice thing is if there is dirtouts on the Flow

most 2008 to 2009 kites have dirt-outs as a standard now.

awindofchange
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-4-2009 at 03:17 PM

Yes, all of the '09 kites from Ozone come with dirt-outs. :)

danman7200

[*] posted on 16-4-2009 at 04:21 AM

How does the Ozone flow compare with the likes of a HQ beamer 3? Newbie question. I've purcahsed the HQ beamer, awaiting delivery.
awindofchange
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-4-2009 at 01:24 PM

The Beamer III is an excellent kite, you won't be disappointed at all with your purchase. Many people have started out with the Beamer series kites and many people are still using them at their main kite. Great kites that last for a long time and have excellent stability and smooth strong power.

The Flow is just the latest design from Ozone. It's main feature (for comparison purposes with the Beamer's) is the limited amount of bridle lines used and the extensive internal cross bracing (D-Rib reinforcement). This gives the Flow less parasitic drag and improved speed while still maintaining excellent stability and control. Both kites will have similar power output (size per size) with the Flow slightly better power per size because of the increased speed capability (better use of virtual winds). The graphics on the Flow are better looking (IMHO anyways). Ozone also has a reputation of being superb in durability and always uses the best materials available. Goes back to the same-ol "You get what you pay for". For the price the Beamer is an awesome deal and performs excellently. If you don't mind paying a bit more than the Flow is up there with the best of the best.

There are other features that make the Flow a bit nicer of a kite (overall) but they are minimal and more "Icing on the cake" and not that noticeable physically. Still, the Beamer you have purchased is a great kite and unless you fly both the Beamer and the Flow side by side the differences wont really matter much. If you do fly side by side then you would probably rather own the Flow. :) :)

Hope that helps.

danman7200

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 05:08 AM

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I paid £100 for complete kit. Can't complain at that.

The de-power kites on the other hand. I brought my first car for less than some of those!
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 07:51 AM

We have to stop talking about the Flow (yes, you Kent :P ;-)). The 103 Bionic wants a sibling.

My resistance is waning. :sniff:

ATB,
Sam
SCREWYFITS

Mood: Well... SCREWY as I wanna be!!!

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 11:16 AM

Hey, I'd like to find out how the (2m I think) Flow down at NABX blew out?

Did someone drive it straight into the ground or did it catch something and rip apart, not trying to put the kite down... I'm actually very interested, but concerned at the same time with this kite...

What interests me is how it happened because it's not easy to pop a kite, and I seen the one with two or three repairs of red sail repair tape... and it still flew the rest of the week and was out in the high winds on Thur and Fri flying with the other Flows...

Very intriguing that the Flows where one of the very few that where out in those winds, alongside the race kites and I think a couple PL twin skins... They seem to be a great backup kite for a quiver, small or large...

I personally own an Ozone and have only tried a few others and have not been too impressed by any of them yet, based on the price and all the hype they receive... all the hype gives me a high expectation and then I go and fly one and it doesn't live up to my expectations then it sours them a lil in my mind... on the flip side It also lowers my expectations and allows me to be opened minded and wanting to try their new kites...

I know Ozone is a great kite but not my cup of tea to date... still opened minded and looking for that one, that tickles my fancy... maybe the Flow...

Naish, Helix 9m / ARX 11.5m
Flexifoil, Blade IV 6.5 Blade VIP 8.5
Peter Lynn Twister II 7.7m, Viper 2.6m x2, 3.9m x2, 5.3m, 6.8m, Reactor II 4.4m
Ozone, HAKA 5m (make an offer)
Flysurfer Titan 9.5m, Speed 10m
Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself" -Aldous Huxley
"Save a tree eat a beaver" -Someone Great-
Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
kiteNH

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SCREWYFITS
I personally own an Ozone and have only tried a few others and have not been too impressed by any of them yet, based on the price and all the hype they receive...

I mostly fly Ozone depower kites. I haven't flown any comparable kites that are out there by HQ, Gin, Skycountry, or Flysurfer so have nothing to compare them to. So despite my lack of comparables, I think they are a well made and high quality product, but certainly not the "end all" kites and never claim that they are the best option out there.

I don't think that the prices are very high compared to other brands and I'm not sure what you mean by "all the hype they receive". I don't think they are very "hyped" in general and certainly not on the PKF.

Probably shoulda started a separate thread with this, but honestly I don't read many Ozone fanboy hype posts on here. Especially compared to other brands.
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 12:55 PM

A debate about Ozone is defiantly for another thread, I agree...

My point is that I'm interested in the Flow even with my point of view...

Quote:

I think they are a well made and high quality product, but certainly not the "end all" kites and never claim that they are the best option out there.

KiteNH, did not intend to offend and also agree with your comment but just not "MY" cup of tea to date, also are you flying the LEI's or the Foil Depowers, I'd like to get my hands on some LEI's by Ozone...

So lets get some "Flow" talk going!!!

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself" -Aldous Huxley
Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
kiteNH

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 01:07 PM

No offense taken whatsoever. Mostly just pointing out that I don't find a lot of Ozone hype out there. I've only flown the Access and Frenzy and only the 08's and an 09.

I think that the Flows look pretty great and it looks like Ozone finally has a fixed bridle that is being well received. I've only been paying attention for a year, but it seems like their fixed bridle foils were popular back with the Little Devils and Samis. Then the Cult and Haka didn't seem to be very popular (especially compared to the Blade and Rage kites) and now it sounds like they've got another winner with the Flow.

I'd love to try one, but I'm kind of off fixed bridles these days. I'd like to sell my Beamer and get a 3m Flow, but I really can't justify it.
awindofchange
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-4-2009 at 03:30 PM

I didn't hear of any Flow's blowing out, all of ours are still in tack and working perfectly. If another one blew out then I don't know about it but would have to assume that it was pounded into the ground. I was out in 40mph gusts with the 2.0 and it held up beautifully.

Looking_Up

Mood: waiting for the ankle to heal

[*] posted on 20-4-2009 at 07:03 AM

:cool: I have not tried the flow but from what i hear is it takes after the Little Devil and if that is correct i would not hesitate to buy one my 4.5m LD has taken a beating for a long time now 4 or 5 years and still has no rip tears pinholes or blown out cells i fly it on asphalt land skateboarding and it rockets upwind and pulls like a freight train I have a flow 3m in my future but i think i will go with the new turbo bar instead of the regular one (or handles) haven't fully decided but as far as ozone products go i have tried the instinct 09 ( awsome ) have a sami 2 2m in the mail and my Little Devil 4.5M and probably won't go with another company any more Unless that Unpassable deal comes along then i will probably snag it up:wee:

Kiting The Natural High

\"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.\" Leonardo da Vinci

Kites
Ozone: 2.5 Samuri, 3 & 4.5 Little Devil

Peter Lynn: 8 & 16 & 19 Venom II
12 Synergy

Liquid Force: 14 Havoc
bigben91682

[*] posted on 20-4-2009 at 05:04 PM

Flow on the new turbo bar sounds mighty good to me:smilegrin:

I was thinking along those same lines....only in the neighborhood of 5m
HQ-Powerkites

[*] posted on 20-4-2009 at 05:43 PM

Gentleman,

Just for the record. The Beamer IV version is a nice step up from the Beamer III version that has been mentioned here.
It flies faster, turns faster and offers more experienced fliers - who know how to make use of the brake lines - some sweet extra power. So when comparing the Flow to a Beamer, it would make sense to compare both companies lastest kites.
And yes, it also comes with dirt outs.

Just my two humble cents
Cheers
Tim
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 20-4-2009 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HQ-Powerkites
Gentleman,

Just for the record. The Beamer IV version is a nice step up from the Beamer III version that has been mentioned here.
It flies faster, turns faster and offers more experienced fliers - who know how to make use of the brake lines - some sweet extra power. So when comparing the Flow to a Beamer, it would make sense to compare both companies lastest kites.
And yes, it also comes with dirt outs.

Just my two humble cents
Cheers
Tim

Fine point Tim,
I'm expecting to fly one of them BIV's soon and I'll be sure to review it on PKF...

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 06:35 AM

I just got one myself in the 2m size. Just received it yesterday and haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. I'll be talking about it once I get it in the air. Things are right again in the universe now that BeamerBob once again has a beamer in the quiver.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
awindofchange
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 11:42 AM

I fully agree with Tim, the HQ kites are exceptional high end performance kites and are available at a price that is very attractive. The Beamer IV is just another example of how HQ continues to raise the bar with every new model.

-mj-

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 03:51 PM

I´ve flown both and IMO.
The Flow is cool, flies it and looks it, but.
It´s made out of heavier material then the Samu. (samu was 41gr. m2 Porcher, Flow is 50gr m2 Mirai, (almost the same as PL access range))
Flies slower then the Samu, and goes less far in the window, thus less upwind performance.
Mesh on the intakes help keep the intakes keep in shape, they´re actually an easy way of preventing intake form distortion.
(besides, mesh when you have dirt outs?)
Samurai was a proper kite, top materials, top control (actually one of my fav´s (see other post))
The Flow is okay but doesn´t come near the Samurai in performance and control.

I know, me as PL rep shouldn´t comment on Ozone but Vliegerop is distributor for them and so I get to fly their kites, just as I get to fly HQ, Libre, U-turn and a bunch of other brands.
But I do feel that design facts should be known by kiteflyers and that flyers shouldn´t be fooled by marketing techniques.
I once again say that on this forum I am not biased by brand loyalty (okay just a little)and that I will be honest about shortcomings on PL kites as well.
(when you find any :smug:)

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports
-mj-

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 03:57 PM

addition, if you´re in the market for a kite in that segment, PL Hornet?
And if you got the bucks to spend on a Flow you might want to take a look at the Core.

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio