Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: PL Twister II 5.6
Drewculous
Posting Freak

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 01:45 PM
PL Twister II 5.6

:wee:Holy Crap!!:wee:

Being my first traction kite, this will be kinda baised... And the fact i literally was just flying it 10 mins ago, this may be kind scattered, but...
Winds are about 5mph right now, gusting to 10. Set up my first power kite and let fly! This kite pulls like a truck! Once through the learning curve (slightly) i try some loops and turns, get a feel for the brakes, kill it a couple of times in the air (fickle winds today, not constant at all), and drive it straight into a gust... i slide about 15 feet (on my back & butt), hop back to my feet and wrestle it back up into the sky. This kite is sweet.

It seems like its very well built, good handles, line, just a good kite! Brakes work really well. Other than the wicked pull in what i consider a breeze, this kite is amazing! As you all probably already know the Twister is a great kite, the number II has some different graphics, similar to the hornet, and a few upgrades im sure Angus can spell out better than I can. Once i get used to this kite, im sure jumping will be no biggie, the Twister II seems to want to go up... all the time!

I am completely rattled by how fun this kite is! The two line stunt kites i have flown in the past, dont even compare, completely different animal!

Armed with a now even greater respect for nature, a completely sore body, and my new Twister II, i give this kite 5 out of 5 stars! I would reccommed starting a little smaller to the smaller guys (im 6'2" 230 lbs, and i lift weights) because this kite would chew me up if i took it out in less than ideal conditions... Crazy good kite!!
:wee:

Thanks to Angus Campbell and Coastal Wind Sports for a great deal on a great kite... this kite is just awesome!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
SCREWYFITS

Mood: Well... SCREWY as I wanna be!!!

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 03:45 PM

You should look into a brain bucket if you haven't invested yet... you probably understand the danger of these beasts now... :thumbup::thumbup:

Glad your enjoying it... now you understand why we all come atcha with the smaller kite suggestions for the beginner... I'm glad you have the background that you do to tackle this large of a kite for your first... it seems that your taking a good and safe approach by starting in lighter winds...:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the 7.7m Twister II and I'm 190lbs and 6'1" and can get tossed around pretty good with it in even higher winds, highest yet is probably 12mph...

As you get better and muscle memory builds, you'll be able to man handle that kite in the same winds, and really start to appreciate the true quality of this kite... if you have the chance to fly other kites jump on it (no pun intended)... as you fly different kites you'll look at your kite in different light (not in any bad ways) just notice the performance differences...

If you get around to it find other locals that fly power kites, most of us love to share our kites, and watch the way they fly, and tricks that they use to counter the kites power, lots to learn and it's the best learning experience ever... Just be safe :thumbup::wee:

Welcome to the kite junkie world!!!

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm pounding you at all, because I'm really excited for you and hope you enjoy this sport for a long time...

So have you thought about all the kites you wanna get yet, if not, all in due time... I think the hooks are in!!!

Naish, Helix 9m / ARX 11.5m
Flexifoil, Blade IV 6.5 Blade VIP 8.5
Peter Lynn Twister II 7.7m, Viper 2.6m x2, 3.9m x2, 5.3m, 6.8m, Reactor II 4.4m
Ozone, HAKA 5m (make an offer)
Flysurfer Titan 9.5m, Speed 10m
Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself" -Aldous Huxley
"Save a tree eat a beaver" -Someone Great-
Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 05:51 AM

Andrew I am so glad you are having a good time with the kite and that you seem to be managing it with the right respect.

Just for the record, Andrew and I had an extensive conversation about the size of his first 4-line kite, his prior experience with some pretty big 2-line kites, his size and weight, and the right flying conditions. He sounded like he had a good head on his shoulders. Otherwise I would not have allowed the sale.

Glad we have a new addict amongst us.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:37 AM

after looking at my review i noticed one thing i wanted to clarify... im sore because my muscles havent been used that way, not cuz i got tossed all over.

I took it out again this weekend, kinda cold and crappy, but i still had to get some more time in :singing:

Went out friday night, and found out what way NOT to wind up my lines... so spent the evening untangling lines.

Saturday winds seemed right, went to my soccer fields, and no wind at all, went out of town a ways to some old baseball diamonds, too much wind. I was kinda mad. So i went back into town and to some other parks and finally found one with the right amount of wind. I flew for about 4 hours. Hit one nasty gust and went for a scudd, about 5 ft on my feet, and about 10 on my butt, and about 10 on my back... didnt crash the kite, and even got back up... you do get some funny looks when you are lying on your back flying a kite!

It was just a blast, crazy good fun... It always cracks me up... whenever im out flying, any kite, i get like a 5 year old kid wanting to try, this time was no execption... he saw my scudding and decided it wasnt his kind of kite lol!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:41 AM

I took my Rebble out in the tail-end of a typhoon here once ... but I decided I'd had enough when with the kite parked at the zenith, I was getting lifted into the air :wee: neat toys huh :D

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-5-2009 at 11:54 AM

Had some more time on this bad boy. Broke my jumping cherry, and put some real time in with it.

This kite is still glowing in my mind, i feel the pull in my sleep. Just nuts

Screwy: I gave some thought to your question, and man i can only think of a few i want... even though i really shouldnt want one of them yet...
I want a BIG Buzz or a Vibe, so my friends can fly with me and not get hurt and have a good time.
And as many warnings as im gonna get, i still want a Blade. Something that powerful, i gotta own... I'll prolly get hurt, but they just look like such a riot to fly. I just gotta keep tellin myself, later, later, you still are new, get better first!:tumble:

gbboy

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 08:18 PM

I just got my 5.6 twister today on a bar. Are the handles easier to fly with? Is it relaunchable with the leading edge down?

There were very light winds today and this kite still pulled like a semi. What a blast!:wee:

s
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 12-5-2009 at 04:58 AM

Handles are not necessarily easier to fly with and some will argue that the bar is easier, but you do give up the finesse of individual brake control that you get with handles and that can male a difference in light air.

Sure you can reverse launch on a bar. When the kite is nose down, just reach and grab the center brake lines and pull. when the kite is about a wingspan off the ground, let go of the brakes and fly it out.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-5-2009 at 10:51 AM
Review as a jumper!

If you are just getting into jumping this kite seems ideal for my size... 6'2" 230lbs. I can get 2-3 footers all day, with a good 'lofty' feel when commin down. If your tek is pretty good, 5'-ers come very easily. I even nailed quite a few in the 5'-10' range yesterday with no problems (only 1 botched landing in that height, and it was no biggie, just had to keep the kite rolling after my 5 point-roll-attempt)

I will say high-height winds are really wicked with this kite. It wants to fly right behind you, and in these conditions, the wind is deceving

I did have a "oh crap" moment with this kite.... I nailed a 'perfect set-up run' and jumped and this kite took me for a ride! In my own defense the wind on the ground was right around 10mph, but the winds up high must have been considerably higher. Bragging and poor judgement aside, i was over 10' up, and traveled a decent distance... i really tried to keep my kite in the lofty zone pretty much right above me, and did alright. The landing wasnt overly hard, but i landed right on my left heel, so its a little sore. Comparable to jumping off of a 3' table and landing square on your heel... ugh

This kite is not for the beginner, and if you have never flown, this is not your kite. But if you know your way around these incredibly fun, albeit somewhat dangerous, kites, the twister is a must have. The whole time i fly, i know right where it is goin, no surprises (from the kite), and very smooth ride. Jumping is a breeze given the right conditions, and it is just a riot. Just do yourself a favor, and follow a couple of suggestions before pushing this kite:
1. RESPECT THE WIND, you are at its mercy
2. take baby steps when trying anything new (they hurt less if you screw up)
3.get a complete feel for the conditions, ive found no two flights have been the same (the whole respect the wind thing comes into play again)

Everything about this kite makes it a must have. If you are in the market for a good all around, fairly 'lifty', extremely well built, fixed bridal kite... Look into the Twister II, you'll be glad you did!!

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-5-2009 at 09:27 AM

After my introduction to the 7.7 . I would suggest you can probably get a LOT more out of this kite using handles !

I'm not anti-bars. I spent a LOT of time trying different bars on my fixed bridles. I would add a crossover set-up to the bar if I owned one.

I will try the crossover on our Twister A.S.A.P.

Has anyone tried this kite on both handles and bar ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
soccerflyer

Mood: Wanting to Jump!

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 06:13 AM

I would also like to know. Has anyone tried this kite on handles?

Pansh Blaze 3M
Best Waroo 9M
GI AK 103
Mystic Seat Harness
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 07:15 AM

Thats how i got it was on handles... best way IMO, lots of control. Ive heard the bar is pretty lame on this kite, slow turning.

Handles are good on this kite:thumbup:

soccerflyer

Mood: Wanting to Jump!

[*] posted on 16-9-2009 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
After my introduction to the 7.7 . I would suggest you can probably get a LOT more out of this kite using handles !

I'm not anti-bars. I spent a LOT of time trying different bars on my fixed bridles. I would add a crossover set-up to the bar if I owned one.

I will try the crossover on our Twister A.S.A.P.

Has anyone tried this kite on both handles and bar ?

Did you ever put a crossover bar on it? How did she do?

Pansh Blaze 3M
Best Waroo 9M
GI AK 103
Mystic Seat Harness
lives2fly

[*] posted on 18-12-2009 at 04:56 AM

Hey

I saw the other thread about Twisters before I saw this one but yeah I have flown a 5.6m on both handles and bar.

I started my kiting on the water so I feel way more comfy with a bar (how do you ride toeside with handles for a start? its not like you can let go of one!?)

This Twister (5.6) is pretty slow and unresponsive with the 50cm bar it comes with. A real disapointment. I am now flying it with a 70cm flexifoil bar and its awesome! that tiny PL bar just doesn't work unless the kite is right near the top of its wind range.

Thats another thing to mention. This kite works better the windier it gets. Because its a powerful kite with a lot of lift you tend to be quite cautious when you first fly it but as you get more confident and take it out in 12mph + you will start to see its potential - it really kicks off at about 14-15 for me. The short bar becomes useful again 16-20mph where the smaller input range helps you maintain control of the kite.

I just get hauled downwind at 18mph + or I have to edge so hard that I get boosted the minute I relax it! (usually with bad results!!)

15m Naish Fly,12m & 7.5m Naish Cults, 10m & 12m Naish Parks, 9m Naish Bolt, 6m & 14m Naish X3's, 13m PL Venom, 10m & 6m Ozone Access,
1.5m flexi Buzz, 3.5m Flexifoil Bullet, 4.7m flexi Rage, 5.6m PL Twister II, 6.6m flexi Blade, 8.0m HQ Toxic
Flexdeck Landboard, Nobile Flying Carpet 160, Airush Switch 142, Slingshot Misfit 136, Naish Monarch 134, North Whip 5'8", Fischer Skis, Palmer & Drake Snowboards.
dragon2009uk

[*] posted on 25-1-2010 at 09:09 PM

hi,

looking into getting a PL Twister 2 5.6m for high winds. i want it for static jumping as i don't board or buggy. i fly radsail savage 6.5 on handles and been out flying in 30mph winds with it which is the top of the wind range for that kite. i just want to have a kite that allows me to go out in 10-15 mph stronger winds and still be getting airtime.whats the turning\flying speed like?does it lift in the centre of the window when u rise the kite straight up?

5,7" 70kgs biggist wind 40mph:D
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 25-1-2010 at 09:49 PM

How long have you been on the savage? like how many hours? and what wind range are you comfortable but powered up jumping that in? I'm going to guess 12-18 or so.

Just clarifying as a quick read of your post makes it sound like you want a twister II 5.6 so you get airtime in 40-45 mph...

But I'm going to guess that you're thinking of 22-28 mph with the twister... which tho I've not flown either sounds like a bit too much wind for jumping with the twister... You need 4m for that imho.

So I'd just say that I think you'll get too much overlap, if you want significantly higher upper range you need to go for a 4m or a smallish arc (10-12).

The other thing to consider is that as the wind speed increases the intensity as well the speed of onset (how quick they happen) increases as well, and the smaller kites you fly at those wind speeds magnify that difference.

just my two cents...

Bear in mind I've not flown either kite, but my go-to kites are ace 8 and blade 6.5 -- those two are the ones I have the most fun (in my comfort zone, having fun, not worried at all about getting hurt) jumping on static (what I do mostly).

I'm OK to jump on my 3.2 crossfire, but it's not comfy at all and usually the gustiness of my winds at those speeds makes it pretty risky. It's fun up to a point...

hope that helps...

edit: forgot to ask do you have any other kites? surely you've got one or two smaller ones? and also just add that really you should just start your own thread with a Q like that, maybe reference to this one in that one.

and.. possibly twister 4.1 is the kite for you, much less overlap in wind range.

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
dragon2009uk

[*] posted on 26-1-2010 at 10:34 AM

ive had my savage for a month.been flying for 2years. 15-20mph ish i say at the moment is comfortable jumping range for me but i have been out in alot more with my mates blade 3 4.9.

well i have a 6m spirit of air that never gets flown
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 08:19 AM

the 5.6 is lifty... at 240ish lbs ( i think thats what i was jumping at when i wrote this) it did really well... if you are used to jumping on a blade, this may seem a little tamer and a little slower esp. my twister is money for me in 20ish mph winds for jumping... much higher speeds than that, and i start getting hurt lol... Took it out in 30ish winds once and got a nasty loft and that was the end of high wind jumping for me :tumble:

For the dollar its a great kite... i've logged many hours on my twister, never had a regret about it, jumping and boarding are a blast on it!

Adambomb

Mood: Positive

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 08:35 AM

I'm getting the twister II 5.6, and was curious about a blade - all the vids on youtube using blades seem simply awesome (Brighton extreme). Because blades are a bit on the pricey side, they're out for now, but I can consider one for the future. If I'm 6'3" and 200 pounds, what size blade would I need for reasonable safety and great lift/loft?
Sander

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 02:37 AM

Very true comparison: 'this kite pulls like a truck!' Couldn't agree with you more Drewculous! I'm 178 cm tall and weigh about 74 kg.. 5 BFT is the limit to fly the twisterII 5.6 with a height and weight like me. >5 BFT and you get blown away. The kite obeys rather good to my actions; it doesn't do sudden moves with a controlled pull, so there's room to pull hard. It makes you feel you're in control. The lifty concept is not a lie, with 3 BFT I was able to do jumps of 3 meter in depth and 1 meter in height. I love its lift and its soft landings!

The price is extremely modest for its quality. A musthave!
Sander

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 11:11 AM

I made a video of the twister II 5.6, getting my ass dragged across the field :bouncing: !! Winds are 4 BFT/ 17 mph.. this was my 5th flying session. (I weigh 74 kg)

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUqOq8cyf1M
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 03:52 PM

glad ya like it sander... i stil fly it all the time

cool vid by the way... you got bigger balls then me tho... i dont use my strop to jump anymore.... a gust picked me up once, slammed me hard on my side, and drug me about 30 ft.... then i rolled up in the lines... not a good day... now i strop in the bug only and have a great time with it (i atb with it too... just no strop)

went out a week or two ago and wow'd a small crowd with some of my best jumps to date with it... nailed a 720 spin, and a couple 12' jumps... was a great time! Now i just gotta try some of those crazy flips ive seen...

power
Posting Freak

Mood: Arcy

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 10:17 PM

Don't let the kite pull you downwind during your redirect; you're loosing all the tension when you do that. Keep running cross/upwind until you can't resist the kite's pull anymore and then release completely. You'll go a lot higher that way and it might eliminate some of that downwind pull.

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m
-05 Flexi Storm 8m, 10m, 12m, 14m (FOR SALE!!)
-05 Naish 5.5m (FOR SALE!!)
chiff

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 01:41 AM

Hi Folks,

I am new to this board and new to this kite. I have just bought one today after much research and working out which is the best kite and size for me. But am really pleased I got this one. It will be about a week and a half till I actually have it in my hand but thats cool.

I have a 2.1 meter HQ to play with till the big one gets here.

Am very pleased to have read all the posts here and WILL take Great Heed of the advice given about taking it very gently and getting to know this kite. Thanks heaps for All your posts and very valuable advice. :)

I live in the middle of NSW, Australia and there are No owners of kites anywhere near me so I am told. Hmm, will have to fix that eh. :)

As I am in Australia, these Kites are worth a lot of money. Am wondering how many owners have told their partners how much they are worth ? I am Not game. LOL Hope to goodness the wife does Not find out either. LOL. Any Comments ?

Kind regards to you all,

Chiff.

ps. You are most welcome to pm me if you would like too if you have some news for me or advice (politely eh). Smiles.

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
bobalooie57
Posting Freak

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 07:31 AM

Since she's probably going to find out anyway, have an expensive comparison hobby to claim it's cheaper than! But Dearest, it's cheaper than ATV'ing, or Motorcycling, and if you happen to indulge in all these pastimes, you can always claim, well, it keeps me out of trouble!:tumble:

edit: BTW, welcome to thePKF!

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
Sander

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
Don't let the kite pull you downwind during your redirect; you're loosing all the tension when you do that. Keep running cross/upwind until you can't resist the kite's pull anymore and then release completely. You'll go a lot higher that way and it might eliminate some of that downwind pull.

Power, what do you mean with 'release completely'? When you're running upwinds, and feel the lift that pulls you off the ground, how can you avoid the kite going downwind?

regards!
Sander

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewculous
glad ya like it sander... i stil fly it all the time

cool vid by the way... you got bigger balls then me tho... i dont use my strop to jump anymore.... a gust picked me up once, slammed me hard on my side, and drug me about 30 ft.... then i rolled up in the lines... not a good day... now i strop in the bug only and have a great time with it (i atb with it too... just no strop)

went out a week or two ago and wow'd a small crowd with some of my best jumps to date with it... nailed a 720 spin, and a couple 12' jumps... was a great time! Now i just gotta try some of those crazy flips ive seen...
The jumps i'm doing nowadays are way higher and more beatiful to watch than the vidlink shown above. I don't use my strop anymore, it limits my freedom to do some tricks while i'm in the air :) in the future, i will post another link where you can look at my 'progression' ..
chiff

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 10:57 AM

I have a silly question for ya'll.

Would a brand new kites lines last a year or 2 or whatever ?

How often do you have before having to replace them ? Am not talking about if they break. Hopefully they won't. Smiles.

Thanks heaps.

Chiff.

Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiff
I have a silly question for ya'll.

Would a brand new kites lines last a year or 2 or whatever ?

How often do you have before having to replace them ? Am not talking about if they break. Hopefully they won't. Smiles.

Thanks heaps.

Chiff.

Depends on how much you use and abuse them.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
chiff

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 12:18 PM

Is there a "Field Card" for the "PL Twister II 5.6" ?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio