Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: cheapest de-power kite that I can use on water?
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 12:10 PM
cheapest de-power kite that I can use on water?

so I'm kinda short on money and am looking for the cheapest de-power kite that I can use on water...any ideas? I would like it to be ready to fly (I'm kinda new)

SCREWYFITS

Mood: Well... SCREWY as I wanna be!!!

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 12:52 PM

You looS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-n for new, used, LEI, closed cell Foil, twinskin...

This is kind of a vague question...

If your new (or "kinda new") I'd suggest lessons, the instructor should supply all the gear for you to learn... If you have experience then you'll skip the trainer kite and move to body drags...

They will most likely put you on a LEI (inflatable) and if you where to stick with inflatables (made specifically for water, but can be multipurpose) you could look for a used one (real cheep, $100-$300) "Ikitesurf.com", but the older you get'em the less safety they have as the safety is developing very quickly... If you want new "Best Kiteboarding" is probably what you'll want to look at, inexpensive and good quality and good flying capabilities...

Assuming someone is new: Safety is a huge issue with beginning kiters and most start out with a trainer and work their way up... starting out, one should do a lil research and they'll be making educated decisions on what they end up with and the learning curve should improve quicker if they start from the beginning...

My suggestion is grab a used kite from one to two years old at most, should cost you apx $300 to $600 RTF and still have good safety features and fly like a dream... also check with the locals to find out the best size for local conditions so you get max fly time with out a three kite quiver...

Good luck, and be safe...

Naish, Helix 9m / ARX 11.5m
Flexifoil, Blade IV 6.5 Blade VIP 8.5
Peter Lynn Twister II 7.7m, Viper 2.6m x2, 3.9m x2, 5.3m, 6.8m, Reactor II 4.4m
Ozone, HAKA 5m (make an offer)
Flysurfer Titan 9.5m, Speed 10m
Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself" -Aldous Huxley
"Save a tree eat a beaver" -Someone Great-
Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 01:06 PM

I have a HQ rush 250, so I know the basics of kiting and I've been reading 'how to kite' guides ALL day...:wee:

but I guess I LEI kite? just anything that you can fly on water :P
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 01:29 PM

Your Rush should serve as a great trainer...

The point you'll want to get too is where you can fly the kite without looking at it and know where it is... You'll be able to move on before that, but it's a realistic goal to help progress faster on the water... anytime you start moving by the power of a kite you'll want to be able to focus on the direction and steering, so knowing where the kite is without looking is a valuable talent to own...

Like before, I think I'd steer you toward a LEI... new I'd say "Best Kites" like a Waroo, and used, a 07-08 Best Waroo should prove to be a great starter with room to excel... (there are a ton of great used kites if you're willing to hunt for them, but know what you want) again try and talk with some locals to find the best size for local conditions...

also a heads up, the depower in a size that you can use on the water is going to be a huge jump in power but nice as you'll be able to throttle the power... so be prepared... they are real fun, and real powerful...

Keep us in the loop on your progress, hang in there, there should be more advice from others, and I recommend to get as much advice as you can "more is better"...

Fly hard, Fly safe...

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself" -Aldous Huxley
Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 01:47 PM

Yeah I can pretty much fly the kite without looking at it. I've had a little stunt kite experience so that helped too.

would something like this be good?
http://www.kite-line.com/bargains/kitesDetails.php?l=0&i...

or this?
http://www.oceanextremesports.com/catalog/2008-best-waroo-me...
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 03:05 PM

I'm actually going to try and find a used kite on Ikitesurf.com
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 03:32 PM

Both of those kite are fantastic kites, I just think they are way too small, unless you weigh under a 100lbs and fly in 30+ winds, that's why I was pressing the whole find out from your locals what kite is the best all around size... here where I live a 11-13m is the best all around size and can fly most of the days in our season... I have a 9m and I have to wait for higher winds...

Ikitesurf has great deals, just be sure you feel comfortable with the seller, if you can pay by paypal or some secure way to feel safe is the way to go, I don't think there are any shady deals on there but I'm always skeptical... if they are local even better...

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 03:54 PM

Well I weigh about 180 lbs, and the usual winds are about 10-15, but some days are 20+(which is very rare though)

What about a 7m?
kiteNH

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nubb1337
Well I weigh about 180 lbs, and the usual winds are about 10-15, but some days are 20+(which is very rare though)

What about a 7m?

At least a 12m SLE if you're going the LEI rout in those winds. Might be a big jump from the Rush to that though. You should get lessons before going on the water.
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 04:24 PM

If I got a LEI would I still be able to use it on land?
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 04:47 PM

Quote:

If I got a LEI would I still be able to use it on land?

[Add in] Yes!!! no problem, just don't crash it into twigs, rocks and trees very hard...

My guess would be a 13-15m (leaning towards the 13m), I think the 7m would just start to hit it's low end range at 23mph...

These LEI depowers take two or three sizes bigger to produce the power of a foil, plus water has a lot of drag so you need the extra power there too... Also the range on the depowers are huge compared to the foils... according to Best there 15m Waroo has a range of 9-24 knots (that's apx. 10-28mph) the 13m Waroo's range is 11-27 knots (apx. 13-31mph) so a 15m would be perfect, to learn I'd stick with the 13m... It is such a great idea to find out what the locals suggest in size as they know whats up and are usually cool as heII...

If you are at a norm of 10-15mph I would guess the 13-15m would be just fine, there are guys taking 15-17m in that wind with ease most guys are taking there 13m out in 25-30mph...

I'm surprised no one else is chiming in to help out here... I'm no where near an expert so I'd like for you to get extra advice, and not just follow what I've been saying...
[add in] thanx kiteNH for helping...

I "HIGHLY" recommend instruction from someone qualified, it's invaluable (imperative in my opinion) and I understand that it's pricey, but you will be glad you did, and it will be the best $$$ spent... otherwise you might end up with 2-3 kites that you can't use till you've been kiting a couple years, and then they're out dated... (Talking from experience on that one) I bought a kite before I took lessons and I still don't use it... $330 down the drain, that coulda went toward another used kite in a lil newer and bigger size...

Good luck, a lot of decisions to be made... its good fun and don't get discouraged because you will absolutely love it once you get going...

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 04:58 PM

haha trust me. From a beginners stand point you've been TONS of help!!! THANKS A LOT!!!! :D

I plan to get some lessons once I get a kite. So I guess I will get a 13m kite of some kind. Are Naish and Eclipse's good kites?
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 05:13 PM

I know that Naish's are great, my helix is so amazing, and, I use it on land... not sure about the Eclipse's, I've heard decent reviews about them, but not for sure... the Naish Cult & Cult Sport are supposed to be sick Daddy!!!
Carbinha, Best, Flexifoil, Ozone, Slingshot, Eclipse and Airush are all going to have bad a$$ kites in the 07-09 models (and some even older), I think I'd recommend a hybrid, SLE or a ARC style and steer you clear of the C style kites, as they are a lil aggressive and made more for the advanced rider...

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 05:55 PM

Well I'm new, so could someone fill me in on what hybrid, SLE and ARC kites are?
stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 10:23 PM

"I plan to get some lessons once I get a kite."

Just a thought, get the lessons first to get a better idea of what you want to fly. Lessons should be cheaper than the kite and then you are less likely to wish you had gotten something different.
Good luck and fly safe.

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
nubb1337

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 04:51 AM

How do I know if kites are the "C" type kites or not?
clintopher

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 05:01 AM

C kites don't have any bridles...just two lines going to each end and usually a 5th line for safety/relaunch. Slingshot Fuel and Ocean Rodeo Diablo are examples of C kites. The kite companies are putting the majority of there efforts into the newer shapes...hybrid, bow, delta, shaped kites because that's what most people are flying these days.

Flysurfer Speed 2 15m
Wainman Boss
Wainman Smoke
HQ Rush 250
Flysurfer Flyradical L
nubb1337

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 05:34 AM

ohh ok thanks
nubb1337

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 08:45 AM

I will let everyone know what happens:bouncy:
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 08:59 AM

Stetson has some of the best advice !

I wasted a LOT of money buying kites before I had a clue how to fly them. Or got the wrong one for my skill level.

The most important thing to learn in this sport is PATIENCE.

Fly that trainer kite and watch good DVD lessons . Get a lesson. Only then get a good kite. DON'T take the lessons if you can't buy a kite right after and keep it up. Very often the shop that offers the lesson will then give you a huge cut on your kite / board purchase.

You need to change your approach in 2 ways !

Don't rush in to purchases.
DON'T use the CHEAPEST as a major part of your choic.e In this sport cheapest is usually a mistake. Either quality or safety will be lacking. I am a cheep:moon: myself but I purchase Quality, second hand gear over the cheapest , new.

Questions are free and opinions are plenty. Try and hook up with locals !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
kiteNH

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 09:33 AM

If you don't know how to figure out whether a kite is a C kite or not then you shouldn't be buying a kite yet. Those kites aren't toys.

You ought to pick up a few beginner kite surfing DVD's like the progression series. They would be great to watch before lessons and would help answer some questions. I'd hold off on buying a kite until after lessons as well.
nubb1337

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 09:39 AM

Well the thing is there's not a beach/kite shop within 2 hours of me. That's why I was a duel-purpose kite so I can ride on land and water.

I plan to pick up some kiting dvd's though.:thumbup:
gilligan

Mood: Cynical optimism

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 11:04 AM

Nubb-

I have a couple of "C" kites in pretty good shape cheap... sent you a U2 message.

Bob
nubb1337

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 05:10 PM

Thanks, but no thanks. People are saying that a C kite would be to much for me to handle.
jknight_706

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 04:32 AM

A whole ton of advice here and it's good. My best piece of advice is wear a helmet. Seriously.

I'm self taught and made all the mistakes here everyone is talking about. OVerall, start small and practice. Enjoy the small kites. Experiment with them. Fly them on land and body drag a bit in shallow water. Get a harness and hook up to your trainer and try that out.

When you are ready to move up to a bigger kite and get out on the water, your best bet is second hand gear from a top brand. Look around the forum, most people display what they are flying and you'll see the same names time and time again. Peter Lynn, Flysurfer, Ocean Rodeo, Flexifoil, Ozone, etc.

Give me a shout on U2U if you have specific questions. I would be happy to answer them. Good luck!
nubb1337

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:05 AM

I was planning on getting a motocross helmet not matter what. I was also going to wear knee pads, elbow pads, ect...

Already done it (well kinda) :wee:
nubb1337

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:11 AM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR BEING SO HELPFUL! I would be completely lost without all this help :P

What is a fairly good harness? (either waist or seat)

OR better yet, would y'all recommend a waist or seat harness?
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SCREWYFITS
These LEI depowers take two or three sizes bigger to produce the power of a foil, plus water has a lot of drag so you need the extra power there too... Also the range on the depowers are huge compared to the foils... according to Best there 15m Waroo has a range of 9-24 knots (that's apx. 10-28mph) the 13m Waroo's range is 11-27 knots (apx. 13-31mph) so a 15m would be perfect, to learn I'd stick with the 13m... It is such a great idea to find out what the locals suggest in size as they know whats up and are usually cool as heII...

I dont agree with saying that LEI have more depower than foils.

We need to compare apples with apples. Modern LEI have great depower such do moderm foils like Flysurfer recent models, and especially the P4 with the triple depower effect.

Old LEI don't have good depower the same as older Foils

Be aware that wind ranges on manufacturer web site are often marketing bullsh.t

I had a few sessions with my P4 15m on snow + water and still comfortable while most riders were on LEI 2-4m smaller.

And on the other hand, LEI low ends are getting better and getting close to foils (making abstraction of Flysurfer Speed2/SA2) . In order to say a foil = a LEI 2m bigger, it all depends on which type of foil, type and brand of the LEI. Some LEI like the Cabrinha Crossbow, or the Cabarete EH Freakdog have surprising low end for a tube.

The math formula to evaluate the performance of a kite versus another is now much complex.

snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:56 PM

We went through this already in another thread.

Do yourself a favor. Drive 2 hours and get lessons.

Your going to end up getting hurt.
SCREWYFITS

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DenisLaMenace
Quote:
Originally posted by SCREWYFITS

I dont agree with saying that LEI have more depower than foils.

We need to compare apples with apples. Modern LEI have great depower such do moderm foils like Flysurfer recent models, and especially the P4 with the triple depower effect.

Old LEI don't have good depower the same as older Foils

Be aware that wind ranges on manufacturer web site are often marketing bullsh.t

I had a few sessions with my P4 15m on snow + water and still comfortable while most riders were on LEI 2-4m smaller.

And on the other hand, LEI low ends are getting better and getting close to foils (making abstraction of Flysurfer Speed2/SA2) . In order to say a foil = a LEI 2m bigger, it all depends on which type of foil, type and brand of the LEI. Some LEI like the Cabrinha Crossbow, or the Cabarete EH Freakdog have surprising low end for a tube.

The math formula to evaluate the performance of a kite versus another is now much complex.

DennisLM,
I was making comments based on the title of this thread, not etching in stone, and is there apples to apples in this sport? Flysurfer P4 vs Best Waroo, by far not apples to apples, more like Ferrari vs VW... Flysurfer P4 vs the best LEI available, now that would be a great debate, but one I could not argue in based me haven't flown either one yet!!! $$$ vs $$$ LEI seems to have more depower than foils "in my opinion" I'm not putting any flysurfer down by any means...
No harm no foul, lets get this guy (nubb1337) off to a great start safely within his budget then we can taint his brain with all the goodies!!!

Zebra Z2 5m

Flexi Scout- US357 #247

Facebook.com/SCREWYFITS
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio