Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: *review* Peter Lynn Scorpion 16m
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 24-5-2009 at 07:24 AM
*review* Peter Lynn Scorpion 16m

Bladerunner and I recieved this kite to try while waiting for his Chargers. 2 weeks ago, we didnt have much wind and only prepared to set it up. This weekend was great, the winds were up and we finally got to launch in desent wind around 15 to 20 knots. We tigtened up the outside straps a little bit more and it turned nicer than the low wind setting (all straps loose).

History of me:
Im a handles boy, never like bars. I've been using a mtn board since 2001, and always using my fixed foils for kite groundboarding. the control feel seems nicer to me, however you do have one drawback when you bail hard, no depower and the foil sometimes luffs or tip wraps.

To the review:
I really enjoyed flying the Arc style kites (ill try to talk more kite than brand), and even more so than LEI kites. The bar pressure felt good, a little on the light side for me, but its not my kite. Not so sure i like the Spinning Bar leash either, I'd probably remove that and go to the Pro Leash and attach that to my Chicken Loop.
Having said that, its because I noticed when i bailed hard and i let go of the bar (still hooked in) the kite went to zenith with no power. thats where I think the adantage of the Arc design comes in. The Auto Zenith feature really works and works well each and everytime. Another accident I had today ... I was airborne and was close to other kitebuggier I flew into his lines, and he was actually trying to get his kite under me. (would have been cool if cleared over his lines just another 4 more feet) anyways I got into his lines, kicked the board off in mid air, and let go of the bar so i could deal with my landing hands forward. WOW, i just floated down, had it been a fixed foil and I went hands free i'd be dropping like a rock.

jumping with arcs, was great! less work more height. Instead of swing the kite from 3 to 12 o'clock I could turn the kite lightly built up speed and pull the bar in, and in mid air push and pull generated a little more float. its the same with LEI jumping basically.

solo launching, took some getting used to ... its odd how far off to the wind window you have to setup. I finally caught the concept after BR explained it. Those Self Launch Taps do come in handy too.

pre-launch, in the right wind setup is fast, and doesnt require fans/blowers etc. it sure beats getting out a pump and working before playing. I would probably keep the bar / lines attached to every arc i had since i'm old school with kites on all my FB foils.

kite size, even with the bigger size arc, it was still easy to manage and wasnt sluggish at all with the adjustments that can be made. If anything i believe the 16m can go way passed the suggested windrange, since the twinskin can bend to the gust and high winds. Its also just a matter for tigtening everything up to give it a more curve.

All and all I was very pleased with the arc kites, due to the small park we have, we're pretty limited with how much speed one can get and how much space to do freestyle tricks. Im now semi converted to bar just for the one handed moves and board grabs and not have to worry about the second handle should things go wrong. 100% sore but happy as a kid on christmas day.

Yes, Im a sponsored Peter Lynn Teamrider (on teh FB foil side) but this isnt the reason why I enjoyed the Scorpion. Review on teh Syn next than the Charger.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-5-2009 at 08:56 AM

YUP,

I have put Rip' on most of my depower kites. He always comes back saying he's a F.B. man . This time it was different.

Between the 2 of us that kite was flying all day ! I am pleased with the Scorpian so far !

Like everyone else I'm falling in love with auto zenith !!!!

These kites will boost my learning to jump efforts as well.

So far I am seeing that these arcs can be very friendly and forgiving. If you treat them softly. Give them a spanking and the start to act up and punch back ! :wee: One kite that can be flown 2 VERY different ways !

Rip has sore muscles today. He flew about 4 times as long as I have ever seen him do in a day ! I'm sore to. Bruised rib that keeps getting re-aggrivated and now a big chunk of my shin torn off ! I'm SOoooooo glad I'm still able to take a few bumps and keep on flying !

GREAT KITE RIP'

THANKS !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 24-5-2009 at 10:18 AM

nice review..................the only reason I sold mine was to fund a Synergy. Other than grunt and water relaunch, I cant tell that much difference.............................:lol::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 24-5-2009 at 11:07 AM

AR about the same as phantom?

seems to be a phantom with a VPC set up.

high back line tension in this set up for idle position? or is left slack and open for faster turning when fully depowered.

seems with arcs running higher back line tension lessens the bow tie tendencies in abrupt redirect on a upwind line.

i have never flown a sorp. would love to do a phantom/scorp back to back in about 15 -20mph. 15/16m would be perfect comparison

definitely fast on the launch typical launch couple minutes on the lines and with good wind kite is good to go with fill in 20-30sec. and the tabs make it super easy.

thanks for the review.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 24-5-2009 at 01:02 PM

Scorps have an AR of 5.5......6.5 on the Phannies...............I kept the internal straps pulled in 3/4 (same on the Syn) and I liked it a lot. Big lift with the Scorp and fast for a 16m...................
Scorps have a rep for jerking and unstable but I never fount that to be the case...................:lol::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

Mood: Throw caution to the wind.

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
So far I am seeing that these arcs can be very friendly and forgiving. If you treat them softly. Give them a spanking and the start to act up and punch back ! :wee: One kite that can be flown 2 VERY different ways !

I totally agree with you there blade. It's crazy when flying it all gently and it seems like a nice gentle beast of a kite... then you decide to whip it around and fly the crap out of it for a moment.... WOW it turns into an angry beast wanting to lift/pull you like mad :wee:

Kites:PL Hornet 2.0m, 15m Synergy
Dakine Pyro Harness
Rides: MBS Comp 16 Pro, Sector9 Longboard, Forum Snowboard
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio