Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peter Lynn Core - All around high performance
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 09:45 AM
Peter Lynn Core - All around high performance

CORE COMPETENCY

Like a race car that looks fast standing still, I knew I had a performer on my hands when I first unpacked our Core for rigging. The aggressive elliptical planform screams performance and makes the kite appear to have a higher aspect ratio than it's moderate 3.6. The next thing to catch the eye were the very thin bridle lines with spliced and sewn loops. The kite is bridled every other cell with extensive use of D-ribs between bridle points to hold the sail's shape. I could see that it would be a fast kite with all the care taken to reduce drag. I was not disappointed.

In light winds, the kite will leap off the ground in about 2 knots less than other all-around kites of the same size and fly a lot closer to the edge of the window than your would expect. As fast as it is, I found it to be stable with no surprises. The Core is a great buggy engine with terrific upwind performance. Landboarders will enjoy the same upwind performance yet find that if they swing the kite up in the window quickly there is plenty of lift.

The Core, along with the Reactor II is a member of the "Pro-Range" of kites in the Peter Lynn line up. While all Peter Lynn products are known for high quality construction, the Pro-Range kites are built in an entirely separate factory where the grade of materials, the craftsmanship and the construction tolerances are all dialed way up. Look at the perfectly straight rows of double stitching and the precision matching of color panels in the sail. There is no overbuilt construction to hold the kite back with un-needed weight, yet there is thoughtful reinforcement built in at all the right places.

The backpack that comes with it is generously sized and well appointed. It has a small hidden external zipper compartment in the lid that is perfect for keys and change and a larger zippered compartment on the back for accessories. It has a padded carry handle, compression straps and padded shoulder straps with a chest strap and padded waist belt. This is one of the nicer bags we have seen.

The Core is not yet listed on the PL website but should be shortly. Stock is available for dealers.

Complete kit contains...

* High quality knapsack with 2 external zipper pockets
* Newer Peter Lynn padded, colored handles
* Pre-stretched 2-color Dyneema line set with colored, sewn loops, 25m
* Kite sail with packing strap
* Ground stake

Kite killers not included

Also Available kite-only.

These are not inexpensive kites, with the 3m going at an MSRP of $399- almost twice the price of a 3m Hornet, but the comparison is not fair when looking beyond size. The value lies in the quality of construction and the great performance that can be applied to many disciplines. The Core 4.0 comes out to just about $19 less than the same size Blade.

I wish I had a 5m to try out against the Blade/ Twister/ Crossfire trio of the same size in my other post comparing them, just to see how it fared there.

I did fly our Core 3m directly against a 3m Beamer IV and Hornet though. It has about the the same A/R as the Beamer (3.6 vs. 3.5) but leaps off the ground faster in lighter wind and flies farther to the edge of the window, clearly demonstrating a higher L/D ratio. The Hornet has an A/R of 3.0, making it easier for newbies to fly in higher gusty wind, so a direct comparison is a bit unfair. This kite is no aimed a the first time kiter but at experienced riders that can handle and appreciate a high performance foil .

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 09:57 AM

its a great intro to race style kites. Kitebuggy-Mama has a 3.0 and 5.0

for you tech freaks:

Model | Aspect Ratio | Flat Wing Span | Projected Area | Cells
1.8 | 3.50 | 251 | 1.56 | 20
2.3 | 3.50 | 284 | 1.99 | 20
3.0 | 3.60 | 329 | 2.59 | 22
4.0 | 3.60 | 379 | 3.46 | 22
5.1 | 3.75 | 437 | 4.41 | 24
6.7 | 3.75 | 501 | 5.79 | 24

Core = Fast
RII = Faster
Vapor = Fastest

i need to go fly now.

acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for those numbers, Ricardo!

2 Weeks for the RII's ? I'll get my order in now!!:wee:

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 10:16 AM

Ricardo, Have you stacked it against a Viper?

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 01:24 PM

We've been flying the Core here quite a bit and it is a very awesome kite. It is also the preferred model for our team riders as well as our local Peter Lynn team rider. The Core is the perfect freestyle buggy kite as it has incredible performance, excellent speed but also very predictable when doing freestyle maneuvers such as 540's, two wheeling, rockfords, spins and other freestyle moves that will change the pressure on the kite instantly. The Core stays inflated nicely and powers up with just a snap of the wrists. Upwind is incredible as is the speed. Just a perfect all round kite that does a bit of everything wonderfully. Speed, freestyle, lift and stability.

For pilots who want to push the envelope in speed but don't want the frustrating hassles of full on race kites, the Core is the perfect choice. You gotta try one.

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 02:07 PM

I sold my Blade IV and Crossfire II because they made me uneasy in gusty winds in the buggy. I feel completely comfortable controlling the lift with a depower rather than a lifty fixed bridle. So AWOC, are you saying these are good for when you have good wind or am I just way down the ladder in buggy skills.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 03:40 PM

Bob....hopefully I can shed a little more light on the Core for you. Angus may also be able to chime in on his findings.

If you fly the Core hard it can provide some very nice lift, but it is not as lifty as the Blade or Crossfire. The power still comes on pretty smooth and you can comfortably enjoy the burst of power. When you work the kite aggressively the Core does deliver some very nice solid performance that can be impressive but flying it somewhat easy will still provide good solid feel and keep you connected. It is not as explosive and unpredictable as the Blade. The Core delivers a very nice solid feel through the lines that keeps you connected with the kite and allows you to know exactly what the kite is doing while you fly it - without having to keep a constant eye on it.

It is not like a depowerable foil. Personally I don't like flying depowerable foils in the buggy because of the lift and lack of speed depowerables seem to have. The exception to this is the high aspect ratio PL twinskins. Our terrain is a bit different than most areas though so our preferences may vary from yours.

Overall, we find the Core a very enjoyable and exciting kite to buggy with.

Hope that helps.

RonH

Mood: Missing Sunset Beach

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
by ripsessionkites
ts a great intro to race style kites. Kitebuggy-Mama has a 3.0 and 5.0
for you tech freaks: Model | Aspect Ratio | Flat Wing Span | Projected Area | Cells
1.8 | 3.50 | 251 | 1.56 | 20
2.3 | 3.50 | 284 | 1.99 | 20
3.0 | 3.60 | 329 | 2.59 | 22
4.0 | 3.60 | 379 | 3.46 | 22
5.1 | 3.75 | 437 | 4.41 | 24
6.7 | 3.75 | 501 | 5.79 | 24
Core = Fast
RII = Faster
Vapor = Fastest

Seems like the kite is fairly flat in the air... not losing a lot of sail to the wind :singing:

Quote:
by acampbell
2 Weeks for the RII's ? I'll get my order in now!!:wee:

Drool :singing::singing:
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 07:47 PM

the Core is the bottom end of the Pro Range, so its more speed over the Viper from the Access Range.

just material alone makes it faster and higher performance with the thinner bridles. Specs are just numbers, flying them back to back explains more.

these arent production RIIs Im getting. Im getting them from the designer. dunno when the production one are coming, i'd say after Fano. Hint Hint.

im not a freestyle guy, but the Cores fit the bill nicely, it handled very well at NABX in the gusty winds too and has speed too like a Skyline GTR. for the speed freaks you have your Porsche or F1 McLarean coming shortly. perfection takes time, and also Ozzy / Michel / etc wanting more speed from the Vapor.

-mj-

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 07:48 AM

We just updated the website, the Core and Twister II are on there now.
We have also changed the lay out of the kite comparison charts, let me know what you think.

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio