Power Kite Forum

Charger 10m,12m,15m,19m

Feyd - 5-1-2010 at 05:38 PM

I've had a few sessions with the new Chargers and wanted that I would share my impressions so far. It's a little early for me to give a really detailed report but I wanted to at least give a basic overview.

I'm not going to cover the bar or the bag right now. I'll just say the bar is great so far and the bag is... well it's a bag and we're not flying the bags. (Nice bag tho)

My impressions in a nutshell....

Super stable. Auto zeniths as good if not better than the Venom 2. Seems to sit foward/centered in the powerzone. Dead smooth. The Scorpion and Synergy seemed to give up some stability in favor of faster turn rate. Swallows gusts as well as any Arc I've flown.

Faster turn rate. Faster than anything I've ever seen from Peter Lynn. 15m turns like a 12m Syn or a 10m Venom. This is with a long bar, working it but it does it regardless. The 10m turns (no joke) as fast as a 3m Frenzy 2005. Again with a long bar. Allows you not only to sine but to do figure 8's (again, no joke) to build speed and power in light winds. A short bar would probably be a bit safer in general to avoid sudden mistakes.

Lift. A lot more lift. Scary lift if you aren't careful. If you don't time the jump right or don't throw the kite back enough to launch you won't see the extra lift. If you time it right you'll orbit. I'm not a jumper so I need to learn.

Low wind performance. The Charger has the best low end of any Peter Lynn to date. It's much better in general and with the faster turn rate you can really build apparent wind.

Depower. UNBELIEVABLE DEPOWER! I almost forgot! Between the amount of depower and the stopper ball on the bar you can really fine tune the throw and power levels.

I'm not sure but the amount of depow may be reliant on the Navigator bar. I'll fly them on one of my '07 bars and see how that goes.

That's it in a nutshell. I cover it in more detail on www.hardwaterkiter.blogspot.com and cover the bar too.

power - 5-1-2010 at 05:42 PM

I've heard some complaints about line lengths and other issues with the navigator. Did you have issues? Anything you didn't like about the bar or kite?

Feyd - 5-1-2010 at 05:49 PM

I'm curious if the people who have had issues are on water or land. I'm riding on snow so that may make a difference.

I've been running with extensions and haven't had anything that I would call a problem arise. It takes a little getting used to in some ways but it's a hell of a lot more user friendly than the '07 bar was.

Safety works awesome and flags out the kite perfectly.

There are some minor tweaks that I'm working on but right out of the bag I'm stoked on it. One session on a bar with a stopper and you're spoiled for everything else.

Glad for the Clam Cleat as well.

My only problem at the moment is figuring out how to get the lines back to normal after the kite has flipped through itself. Still working on that. Hasn't happend enough to get a feel for it!

InvertedForce - 5-1-2010 at 05:50 PM

Good to know they're lifty! I actually laughed out loud at the line " we're not flying the bags"... haha.

I've also heard some complaints about the nav bar... if I end up getting a new(er) kite, suppose a syn or charger, would the 07 bar work ok for these?

Also what is this xxxxx 9m? Secret project from pl? Do tell more! At least whatever you can!

Feyd - 5-1-2010 at 05:56 PM

Sorry, check my edit on the original post. I will test them with the '07 bar and see how it goes. I don't doubt it will work I just don't know if it will work as well as the Navi.

Shhhhhhhh on the XXXXX. =)

It would be cool to see the Phanny reborn eh?

BeamerBob - 5-1-2010 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feyd
Sorry, check my edit on the original post. I will test them with the '07 bar and see how it goes. I don't doubt it will work I just don't know if it will work as well as the Navi.

Shhhhhhhh on the XXXXX. =)

It would be cool to see the Phanny reborn eh?

Ah, so its seeing the light of day. I better start saving now. I want a 12m and a 9m and a 6m and a <running off to count money in the change jar> :singing::yes:

Feyd - 5-1-2010 at 06:37 PM

I'm still curious about other people's issues with the bar. If you guy's have anything specific that you can tell me I'd appreciate it.

Maybe I can get some input from Peter Lynn that could help.

Thanks!

zero gee - 5-1-2010 at 07:59 PM

Probably refering to this post on kiteforum about the bar...

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=633188#p633188

Not sure what else there is.

Bladerunner - 5-1-2010 at 08:38 PM

I put the 8 hook provided for riding suicide on the bottom of my safety line to connect to. That heat shrink loop wasn't cutting it .

Do you get a better bottom end out of the 19 or does the speed of the 15 make up for the difference ?

What is your bottom end wind and on what one please ?

Kamikuza - 5-1-2010 at 10:34 PM

Any surprise that's snobdr "reviewing" of the Charger consists of moaning about "short-comings"? :sniff:

InvertedForce - 5-1-2010 at 10:40 PM

I must not have been here for his reign of terror... I'm assuming people had problems with him in order for him to be banned.

Maven454 - 6-1-2010 at 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
Any surprise that's snobdr "reviewing" of the Charger consists of moaning about "short-comings"? :sniff:

My understanding is that there were launch issues due to low wind when they first tried it.

Quote:
Originally posted by InvertedForce
I must not have been here for his reign of terror... I'm assuming people had problems with him in order for him to be banned.

People had a lot of issues, but they almost all boiled down to an inability to tell that he was joking. He's a great guy in person.

PHREERIDER - 6-1-2010 at 05:25 AM

very nice, would you think a 12m charger has the same power as a 12/13m SYN/VEN. ?

future dibs on your C12! what about your SYN Quiver?

bobalooie57 - 6-1-2010 at 05:28 AM

Ya,I was there that day, up on the hill, and there was some wind, enough for ragden, and a couple of 9m Frenzy's, but my 8M Access II with my limited skillz, was somewhat underpowered.(got moving about 20 feet a couple of times, but had to fight for it) I don't think Barnes got his twinskin up either, but the wind was not consistent enough. There were some issues with factory bar set-up, I guess, and when you pay $$$ no one wants set-up hassels. And the way I read the review, it's not finished yet. Gonna give it another shot at the Tug Hill Event Jan.16-18, if not before then. I really think that if he gets it to fly properly, it will be a fair review. I know it's hard to review a new kite when you don't have a lot of time or the right winds to do so. I think I was lucky to be able to hold on to Scudley's Reflex for enough time to fly it in a variety of winds. If I had to judge on 1 or 2 flights, I could not have given a fair review.

Maven454 - 6-1-2010 at 05:39 AM

Bobalooie57, if there's not a lot of wind at this next Tug Hill event, you can borrow my 10m Apex II.

renegade kiter - 6-1-2010 at 05:44 AM

I saw a brand new nav bar with lines of different lengths also. Carltb also told me of this problem on his bar. I dont know this snobdr guy but i would moan too if i had a brand new bar that was screwed up.

bobalooie57 - 6-1-2010 at 05:47 AM

Ahh Maven, put them hooks in!!!(edit) I actually was thinking how your 10 would have had me going, but I really think If my board skills were better, and I had more stamina, I could have been going on the 8, especially just before everyone left for Sandy Pond. Barnes flew the 8 and thought it had enough to pull him, but I've probably got 50 lbs on him at least!

stephdip - 6-1-2010 at 05:53 AM

myself i see the 12m charger having more power over the 12m syn and v2 !!! haven't even used my 15m syn because the 12m c flies great in low winds where i would have used a v2 16m or the 15m syn..

as far as issues go with the bar...
the little thingy you hook the leash inside the loop is not easy to hook and worst with gloves when it's -25 outside :)

the safety works perfect ,lines don't get tangled up but it is more complicated to walk your lines making sure nothing is crossed over mainly because the centre top lines being kept together up high near the kite with a ring.
the long rope on the chicken loop can get a line overlaping the other if not carefull setting up,and like i said walking the lines is different then on the z7 when you get up 3/4 of the way you bunch up at the ring..

i'm getting used to it now but i triple check,,once both your bottom lines are perfectly set on each side your good to go..

real sweet kite all that was said about is exact fast,lifty if not carefull got me airborn without even trying ;)

best PL i've flown

steff

Kamikuza - 6-1-2010 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454
My understanding is that there were launch issues due to low wind when they first tried it.

Still sounds like Jeremy Clarkson trying to review the latest Ducati :lol:

Quote:
People had a lot of issues, but they almost all boiled down to an inability to tell that he was joking. He's a great guy in person.

That may be the case but he tends to go on and on a bit ... I thought he was amusing till it got petty :shocked2:

Maven454 - 6-1-2010 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That may be the case but he tends to go on and on a bit ... I thought he was amusing too till it got petty :shocked2:

Don't think all of the pettiness can be blamed on him. But, neither time nor place. This is the thread for Chargers!!

tridude - 6-1-2010 at 08:51 AM

Quote:

not at all.......misery loves company I guess...............

Feyd - 6-1-2010 at 09:35 AM

In response to Phree's question the best way I can sum it up for the 12m as well as the other sizes is they just have MORE.

More lift.

More power.

More depower.

More speed when turning.

It sounds ridiculous and over simplified I know but it's also the best way i can describe the difference.

The Syn was a sick kite. The Venom series was awesome as well and probably the best all rounder for a while there. But the Jump from the Venoms to the Chargers is about the same as the jump from a P-51 to an F-15. Both are sick in thier own right but one is just miles ahead in it's performance envelope.

In response to Bladerunner's question I haven't completely gotten the low end totally figured out. I haven't had the 19m up enough to know for sure but it's definately better than any Peter Lynn before the Charger.

My first low wind test on the 19m it definately seemed to have A LOT of grunt. More than the 15m and if my edges were in better shape I think it would have translated to better forward speeds than I got. The wind was blowing maybe 10mph. I did an entry on it in my blog www.hardwaterkiter.blogspot and you can see what the conditions were like.

I'm looking forward to another session on it.

The 15m has some pretty damn amazing low end. Easily as good as the Syn 19m had from waht I've seen so far. Initial thought was that the kite was way too powerful but then I got a handle on how much depower it has.

I was able to cruise comfortably in 10mph on 3-4" deep snow. On clean ice you can cruise at about 30mph in 10mph.

The 15m is the closest thing I've flown to a "one kite quiver". I've flown it comfortably from 10ish mph up to 25mph gusty and it's a damn rockstar.

You just have to be mindful of the lift. The lift still sketches me out.

herc - 6-1-2010 at 10:13 AM

very nice review so far!
Feyd, how heavy are you? this is important to know to judge your statements about the charger. i am only 62 kg, so i suppose the 15 sqm charger would lift me into the stratosphere...
the problem is, that i have a 10.5 sqm naish helix tube kite, so a 12sqm charger seems to be too close in size to my tube ?

p.s. i would die to see some videos! your pictures in your blog are fantastic!

carltb - 6-1-2010 at 10:16 AM

i hate new kites!!!!!!!!!!!!

since i got my chargers the wind has been pants. we get a really good snow coverage then zero winds. snow melts then rain then the wrong wind direction. now we've got another 6inch of snow and you've guessed it zero wind.

BeamerBob - 6-1-2010 at 10:23 AM

Carl, you better send me those Chargers to fix the weather pattern you have. :saint: I don't have any wind either so the new kites here might shake things up. I'm 8 time zones away so this is bound to give us both wind.

PHREERIDER - 6-1-2010 at 10:26 AM

thanks, nothing like more.

charger 12m looks to be the ticket for me

Feyd - 6-1-2010 at 12:16 PM

Good point Herc. I'm 200lbs. With all my gear (armor/harness/boots/speed skis) I probably weigh in at 230-235lbs.

How the Charger power ranges translates to your LEIs I have no idea.

The best thing I can suggest is find one and try it.

I thought the 12m was going to be my best all rounder btu now I'm not sure. That 15m with all the depow is really sweet. And I'm all about having 12 cylinders even if I only need 8. I can always depower but you can't always make the kite more powerful.

And on a side note I've recieved 3 bars. Zero issues with any of them.

Bladerunner - 6-1-2010 at 06:17 PM

I have been able to ride similar 3" snow ( even sticky wet snow ) in probably just under 10mph on my 15 Syn. I'm 140lbs. At about 10 I could get some decent speed up but it wasn't transating into much when I try to jump.

I have to wonder if a 19m Charger will get me going in much lower wind + if it will transate to jumps earlier ?? Any insight there ?

I will hopefully figure it out when Rip' gets his demos but am thinking I want to hold on to my 15m Syn and buy a 19m Charger ???

Any reason you haven't gone down to 8 or 6m ?

Feyd - 6-1-2010 at 07:19 PM

The 15m Syn would struggle to pull me in those conditions without working it and I would loose air speed as soon as I jumped. The Charger would do well in those conditons and still get some substantial jumping in.

The 19m Charger would definately be a better low wind machine. Lets be honest Peter Lynn has not been known for producing what people would call a true low wind machine. The 19m's have always been slated for use by heavier riders for the most part

The 19m Charger for your weight range is would be sick in low winds on the snow. At least that's my impression so far. I'll know more after I really get a few rides out of it.

It would definately be a hell of a jumper for you. The 15m has really nice glide, I can only imagine how the glide on the 19m is. The Chargers seem to respond really well to bar movement and I've been tinkering with that while jumping.

I'd try a demo if you can before you decide. The Charger so far has been a good fit for me but there may be some who prefer a less aggressive kite.

That being said my wife would usually be on a 12m while I'm on the 15m but they depow on these things gives her the confidence to ride the 15m in many of the same conditions I fly in. She weighs the same as you.

It's crazy. I can fly a 10m Charger in winds that my 130lb friend needs a 12m Syn. But I can ride a 15m Charger in winds that my 130lb friend would ride a 10m Syn. Granted I'd be sining or trimming but the fact is I can get the kite to cover that kind of range. Again with working it.

I don't have an 8 or 6 for a couple of reasons.

Availabilty and need.

There weren't any when I put my team order in. And all my top speeds have been on 12-13m sizes so 6/8 aren't a high priority. Espescially this early in the season whe I'm not in condition for best performance and the surface conditions aren't either.

I should also say the the 10m Charger with as much depow as it has is kind eclipsing my new V2.

I should probably sell the V2.

power - 6-1-2010 at 07:24 PM

Sorry for the hijack, but does depower only really come into play when you're moving or when you're flying the kite static as well?

zero gee - 6-1-2010 at 07:43 PM

Both. You use the trimstrap to adjust the power for the current conditions. Readjust the strap as needed if the wind builds or drops during your session. You use the bar to adjust the power in the momentary gusts and lulls, tweek the power to setup for a jump and control your loft and landing during your jump.

Feyd - 6-1-2010 at 07:45 PM

No worries.

It comes into play anytime you need to get the kite to simmer down.

It could be used to tune the kite down to handle sudden wind changes like when a front comes through and you're out or it can be used simply to tone down the kite if you're fatigued and don't want to run at full power.

In my expirience (any feel free to correct me) a kite with trim usually has the wind range of at least 2 or 3 fixed bridal kites. They also seem to have a bit less power pound for pound.

We have an old 2m Samauri and a 3m Frenzy and the Sammy is a beast in high winds compared to the Frenzy.

power - 6-1-2010 at 07:52 PM

Probably just beacuse its an older kite, but I had my 05 best nemesis out today and it didn't seem like adjusting the trim or sheeting in or out was doing anything.

BeamerBob - 6-1-2010 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
Sorry for the hijack, but does depower only really come into play when you're moving or when you're flying the kite static as well?

You can play with a depower static flying and use the bar-pull to affect the amount of lift, but the "throttle" affect you have only kicks in while moving. You can feel the affect with the kite over at the edge of the window when its well powered. Pull the bar in and you'll feel it give you extra pull. This is what accelerates you when you are moving.

zero gee - 6-1-2010 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feyd
No worries.

It comes into play anytime you need to get the kite to simmer down.

It could be used to tune the kite down to handle sudden wind changes like when a front comes through and you're out or it can be used simply to tone down the kite if you're fatigued and don't want to run at full power.

In my expirience (any feel free to correct me) a kite with trim usually has the wind range of at least 2 or 3 fixed bridal kites. They also seem to have a bit less power pound for pound.

We have an old 2m Samauri and a 3m Frenzy and the Sammy is a beast in high winds compared to the Frenzy.

Yup, seen a ~200lber noob getting worked by a 1.5m Quadrifoil Competition in winds I hold down my 11m Synergy in. I still get dropped jaws when the FB crowd sees the size of the kites I fly in the winds we fly them in. :wee: :thumbup:

I've been flying ARC's for so long now small FB kites scare the crap out of me now. :tumble:

Bladerunner - 6-1-2010 at 08:25 PM

Thanks again . I am fortunate I can fly all the P.L. gear as Rip brings it through + use team gear.

I guess it is a LOT about the jumps in sub 10 winds for me. I'll be very interested in how you feel the 19 performs that way. I think like you suggest that I will appreciate the aggresive nature with my 10 and hopefully 19. I'm thinking for now I'll stick with the forgiving nature of my 15m syn for those mid winds ?

I doubt I'll use anything smaller than a 10 much more than twice a year but may pick up a 6 if I feel flush before NABX ?

power - 6-1-2010 at 08:33 PM

@Bladerunner-What kind of jumps are you expecting to get with the 19m in sub 8? It has always seemed to me like light winds just wouldn't cut it for jumping any decent height no matter how big of a kite you have, but what do I know?

Bladerunner - 6-1-2010 at 08:42 PM

Well ......... I'm still working on my jumps and have only been pulling them off in well in 14mph + winds.
In decent winds I take advantage of speed and edge to pop and then follow through. Harder ='s higher.
In my last couple of sessions on the arc I could build some decent speed in pretty low winds. When I cut and sent it the results were limited and often was just me jumping with no prolonged lift involved.

I guess I was hoping to get more out of the apperant winds? If that makes sense ?

power - 6-1-2010 at 08:47 PM

Apparent wind still confuses me...

furbowski - 6-1-2010 at 09:09 PM

...and it's not a simple thing to explain. just googled it, didn't find any good kite-related explanations, wikipedia entry sucks, this is one of the better links i found. I understand it well from sailing, but it takes a while for folks starting out to get it...

here's one of the better links:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail-articles/18848-u...

basically as you use the wind to gain velocity, you create apparent wind. the more efficient your sailing vehicle, the more you can create. this allows you to attain speeds higher than the wind on some angles. a really efficient vehicle (ice boat, race buggy, long skis with sharp edges on ice) can attain speeds up to about 4x the wind speed, but 2-3 is a more common multiplier.

I ain't BR, much less Feyd, but hope that helps.

BeamerBob - 6-1-2010 at 10:34 PM

Angus gives a great explanation on his
Apparent wind tutorial

ripsessionkites - 7-1-2010 at 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
Thanks again . I am fortunate I can fly all the P.L. gear as Rip brings it through + use team gear.

I guess it is a LOT about the jumps in sub 10 winds for me. I'll be very interested in how you feel the 19 performs that way. I think like you suggest that I will appreciate the aggresive nature with my 10 and hopefully 19. I'm thinking for now I'll stick with the forgiving nature of my 15m syn for those mid winds ?

I doubt I'll use anything smaller than a 10 much more than twice a year but may pick up a 6 if I feel flush before NABX ?

LOL .. thats because your a RSK KB Rider.

the smallest size available on the first batch was the 8m, and the second batch that just came in has the 6m. all sizes are available accept for the 24m if they even need one.

my water / landboard quiver will only be CH 10 / 19 - FS SIII 15m and/or 19m Deluxe

after using a SYN 15m and knowing how far I can push it passed the Suggest Windrange and having BR and TMDC run after me grabbing everything they can to keep me in the ground. I can easily adjust trim to reduce the power since the CH has more over the SYN.
Also talking with Gunnar the CH has got more float over the SYN, so high air, with more time to get tricks in. I still believe that you need a big kite to suspend you in the air like a paracute than using something smaller and dropping like a rock.

i've read the KF post, sounds odd but he did refer to Mr.Airtime (Carlb) about the line/bar problems.
dunno about anyone else, but with the amount of CH that we got in, NOT one person has called me yet to complain or get an exchange. I however did recieve a lot of emails how happy and fast they are. hehehe.

Im not anti LEI, but each kite has its bonuses and drawbacks, there is no one perfect kite.

power - 7-1-2010 at 05:18 AM

I thought gunnar wasn't riding for pl anymore?

Maven454 - 7-1-2010 at 05:29 AM

Just because he's no longer a team rider doesn't mean he's not allowed to fly.

carltb - 7-1-2010 at 06:21 AM

but it kinda does. you are contracted to fly a brand of kite. he flys for FS now and that was the reason he sold his chargers before xmas.

Maven454 - 7-1-2010 at 06:34 AM

Ahh, I knew he was no longer a team rider for PL. I did not know that he had become a team rider for FS.

But it still answers power's question. He did fly the PL Charger for a bit.

carltb - 7-1-2010 at 06:46 AM

as he calls it "his baby" as he was one of the lead test pilots!

PHREERIDER - 7-1-2010 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
Probably just beacuse its an older kite, but I had my 05 best nemesis out today and it didn't seem like adjusting the trim or sheeting in or out was doing anything.

its a c-kite, its OFF or ON not a real depower. you might notice on the water a little but a min. constantly on or fly it to an idle position at the edge of the window

rudeboysaude - 22-1-2010 at 11:00 AM

Well, I've ridden my 15M Charger a few times on the snow now both in light winds and winds up to 20 mph. It was cetainly more fun in 15-20, but that's because I like lots of power. You can ride in 8-10 on snow, but 15+ is lots of fun! I'm a PL guy, but this is fact, the Chargers turn fricken fast! I really couldn't believe it. And like Feyd was saying, lots of pop and airtime. I noticed it was much more agressive. I can see why it's good for "new school" stuff, it rips you into the air. I found the higher jumps weren't quite as floaty, but the kite got you up there. I think it could be my timing since it turns so fast... I'm not used to it. On my 19 Syn I went in the air and was redirecting pretty much the whole time. Not so on the 15 Charger. I'd have it all the way to the side of the window in no time dropping me faster. It's FAST! Lots of depower. That long throw bar really is nice. I ride stock everything so never tried another bar. I'm getting used to the new bar. Stability is still rock solid. It's the best arc and I'd go as far as to say, much better then the Syn. I can see now why they dropped the Syn. At first I was sad, but in reality, it's been replaced.

I can't wait to ride the others. If you've been thinking about a Charger, you have to demo one. It's crazy. I think LEI guys would even be happy on them now. I rode it side by side with a 12M Manta2 and the 15 Charger was much faster. The manta had slower floatier jumps, but like I said, could be timing because the manata turned so much slower. I definitly went much higher on the Charger. I love it. Can't wait to ride it all winter long. It's hard to let go of the kites we know, but this one is worth it. Don't ride one unless you'll be able to handle going back to your old kite. I'm screwed now. How can I go back to riding my venoms after this..

Feyd - 22-1-2010 at 12:03 PM

You nailed it. It's so completely different from every other Arc I've ridden. And the turn rate really relieves me of any envy I had for how fast the inflatables turn.

I sometimes have trouble with getting good glide as well. I'm not a great jumper by any stretch but I've gotten good glide out of it periodically. I think what I'm doing is being too heavy handed once I'm in the air and moving the kite out of the optimal position to maintain glide. Not a lot but enough.

I've been landing smooth and been getting good air but not consitent glide. I suspect the 19m will give loads of glide but I haven't hardly used it lately because of the broad wind range on the 15m. It's really amazing.

I thought I saw a branch blowing in the wind just now. Turnned out to be a squirrel. Damn.

High Pressure Systems=Anger meter being pinned.

herc - 30-1-2010 at 11:46 AM

here is a new, great video showing the obviously highly improved lowend (snowkiting, 15sqm charger, 6-8 knots)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9G52HCPxo

fullHD video !

Americaskate - 25-3-2010 at 06:14 PM

has anyone who tried these also tried a speed 3?
I was just looking for a comparison.

tridude - 26-3-2010 at 07:21 AM

the Speed 2 has better bottom end than does the S3....................7 kts and Im upwind on water with the 19m S2...................................10 mph of wind can produce 10 foot jumps or higher if you know what your doing....................................pics in the kitesurfing gallery with a 19m S2 in 9 to 12 mph winds..........................

Chicagokitejumping - 25-4-2010 at 11:36 AM

The charger is the perfect kite for landboard , very smoth . hard to re-lauch at the beginner ( at less for me .. no an expert with arcs) but once is in the sky ....is safe and fast and very good to progress in land.

Very easy to ajust the power , i hate when a kite pull like a truck and i cant ajust it easy.

acampbell - 5-6-2010 at 06:33 AM

I put up the 10m Charger in 18mph winds the other day for use in the buggy the other day and had to take it down right away. It had all the stability of a monkey on crystal Meth and I felt that the moment that I took my eyes off it to watch for toddlers or puppies on the beach that I was going to clothesline someone- it turns so fast. I was flying it on my 50 cm Twinskin bar from the Synergy 15, but the medium Navigator bar would offer only 5 cm less, so I do not think that was the issue.

I've heard veteran ARC riders say that the Synergy turns too fast- can be accidentally kitelooped - but I dropped the Charger immediately and put up the Syn 15 and felt at ease and relaxed. That's how squirrely the Charger is.

I've had several customers buy Chargers and come back for more in different sizes, and they sell out at PL frequently, so they have their place. Just not for me.

Just deepens the slow burn I feel when PL (VO, really) thinks that the current ARC is the only kite worthy to sell and takes the others off the market. Even if they were not designed by VO, just about every ARC since the Phantom and VII have their place in the market to accommodate different disciplines and riding styles and could be sold new.

Anyone want a Charger 10m kite-only cheap?

herc - 5-6-2010 at 06:47 AM

why dont you simply remove the VPC bridle ? then you should get slower turning similiar to the good old arcs... ???

acampbell - 5-6-2010 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by herc
why dont you simply remove the VPC bridle ? then you should get slower turning similiar to the good old arcs... ???

Good idea. Phantomize it.

Kamikuza - 5-6-2010 at 07:41 AM

Had the Syn 15m out today, trying to kite surf under it :( not enough wind and too small board for my fat arse and lack of skill, although I got a few good runs and one great one.
Man, does that thing turn fast! Compared to the bow kites I've flown, it was like a missile! And lift? Doing nothing other than what I was doing with the 12m Phantom, I was further up and hanging in the air like someone turned off the gravity ...

... makes me wish I'd kept the V2 19 for comparison ...

Bladerunner - 5-6-2010 at 08:43 AM

I completely here you on the sketchy control with the 10m. I am counting on getting used to it . The auto zenith is also not exactly as reliable as with my 15 Syn. Can't and don't trust it yet.

My 15n Syn feels like the kite is designed to avoid hurting me if I make a mistake ( my kind of kite ) . The 10 in a good wind feels like it will punish me if I make a mistake. Presently I find my 7m Pulse more forgiving in the same CLEAN winds. When the wind gets bumpy or shifty the Charger feels better.

I am getting antsy to recieve my 15m Charger and compare.

Why could VO not bring back the Syn ? I think it was their design? I know it would cost more to produce now but so far it seems to match my style best. If a want a kite that is more like a C kite . I'll buy a C kite ? I don't think the Phantom is my 1st choice either. Thing is, I know I am the minority so doubt I'll see a Syn II ?

Angus, would it not be pretty simple to go VP2 ?