Power Kite Forum

19M Charger

Taper123 - 15-2-2011 at 05:34 PM

Took the 19M Charger out today in 10-13 mph winds.

Was using a 65 cm Zero 7 bar. On first launch, once it was fully inflated and happy... tons of power and back lines tight with adjuster strap fully in. Was pretty overpowered in the buggy, but very fast.

Landed kite and put my rear pigtails I use on my 16M scorpion on it... and was much happier with how the kite felt and now was able to adjust the power down. It was very fast and pulling in the bar was like hitting the turbo button. Trim strap was fully depowered the whole time in the buggy, and the lines were singing while I was doing what felt like low 20's in the buggy.

Then was curious if it would live up to what the specs say for kiteboarding. Put on the wetsuit... and was able to go a few miles in either direction and back with no problems. Wind was almost dead on shore. I would have said "No Way" as light as the winds felt.... but it got my 190lbs out of the water and moving. Power trim strap let out most of the way and still had my pigtails on the kite.

Had power and steering adjuster straps on the kite all let out all the way, then pulled in about a inch. Vpc3 settings farthest away from the kite. Using a old Cabrinah Double agent 180 in the surf. Had to work the kite now and then, but was a nice smooth ride.

First time to fly a Charger. Fast, Fast, Fast...

Gotta love PL Kites.

Kamikuza - 15-2-2011 at 06:14 PM

Cool :thumbup:

Taper123 - 15-2-2011 at 06:35 PM

My Scorpions were always a "pita" when it came to tying them off and forgetting about them... but was able to tie off the 19m charger and it might wiggle a little in the sky... but was very well behaved.

flyjump - 15-2-2011 at 07:03 PM

Nice review and lad you like your ride. Sorry you had to add the pigtails. The nav bar really compliments the charger with the long throw that it has on the depower like. How did you like the bar pressure/turning capabilities? Did it feel fast for a 19?

lunchbox - 15-2-2011 at 07:12 PM

Nice review. I love my 19 as well. Sooo much faster turning than my Venom 2 in the same size! Now all I have to do is save up money for the 15m ;-)

flyjump - 15-2-2011 at 08:20 PM

Lunchbox you'll love the 15! It feels like a 12m because it turns so fast

van - 15-2-2011 at 08:53 PM

You guys are making my mouth water with all this fast kite turning talk. Gonna have to keep an eye out for a 15m charger.

dylanj423 - 15-2-2011 at 10:46 PM

so steve... how did that water feel???

would a 1mm wetsuit cut it do you think? if not, would the dike be warmer?

Taper123 - 16-2-2011 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyjump
How did you like the bar pressure/turning capabilities? Did it feel fast for a 19?

The bar pressure was nice. Enough to know your flying a kite, but not so bad that your arms hurt. The 19M Charger had a lighter feel to it than the 16M Scorpion, and responded and turned at least as quick, if not better. Power delivery was very smooth and predicitable.

Dylan.. water was mid to low 50's and I was in a 4/3 full suit and was comfortable. But still not warm enough for much less. Air temp hovered around 60 at the coast.

flyjump - 16-2-2011 at 07:31 AM

Good review, i'm really glad you enjoyed your new kite:yes:

Cloudsfan - 16-2-2011 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience and please keep it coming in as it grows !
As for kitesurfing, what kind of board were you using ? Were you keeping ground in such low wind (8 to 12 kts is pretty low in my book !) ?
Cheers

PS : btw we weigh exactly the same, so I'm even more interested !

Taper123 - 16-2-2011 at 01:46 PM

I was using an old Cabrinah Double Agent 180 for a board. I thought it was too low of wind until I tried it... and was able to go slightly upwind. Witha newer wide board, I bet this thing would really be a blast.

tridude - 16-2-2011 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taper123
I was using an old Cabrinah Double Agent 180 for a board. I thought it was too low of wind until I tried it... and was able to go slightly upwind. Witha newer wide board, I bet this thing would really be a blast.

A spleene door for light winds would do nicely...........

Cloudsfan - 17-2-2011 at 04:07 AM

OK thanks
And yes, a Door definitely would better things even more (as we know Chargers like apparent wind, and these boards giving quick acceleration with no rocker)

Taper123 - 26-2-2011 at 03:58 PM

After flying again... realized instead of pigtails, what I needed was the "Kook-proof" connectors for the rear lines to add the knot to attach the flying lines too. That, coupled with the various attachment points (multiple knots) for the front lines, no rear extensions would have been needed. It's amazing the things you learn when you download/read the manual instead of just winging it at the beach.

Kamikuza - 26-2-2011 at 05:25 PM

:lol: