Power Kite Forum

nasa delta para-wing kite

Pages:  1    3  4

sadsack - 26-9-2014 at 05:37 PM

Hello,
I am new here, and would like build a para wing delta kite.
Has anyone here build one? If so I would like to be able to pick your brain as I am building my kite.
Thank You
renny

bigE123 - 27-9-2014 at 12:58 AM

Yes I've built a few, what version are you looking to build?

sadsack - 27-9-2014 at 02:09 AM

I would like to build the one from this web site.

http://members.shaw.ca/kiteman/

I been read a lot of your stuff. what is the story about single skin kite?
Where can I learn more about them?

thank you
renny:alien:

sadsack - 27-9-2014 at 10:25 AM

Hi BigE 123,

I am making a small delta wing using single skin kite construction. I sure not knowing what I am doing it will be very lucky if it fly the first time I try. I am learning alot so far. I have never been a bridle man, but now I must be.
here a photo or two of my single skin delta kite .

HPIM1161.jpg - 102kB HPIM1162.jpg - 62kB

I will let you know how things come out with the delta.:alien:

bigE123 - 29-9-2014 at 06:50 AM

:D It's all about being methodical, I've seen pictures of a guy in Holland flying a Delta wing, he also developed a simple idea for flying one on a single line as it self steered!

After many Nasa style builds and modifying them I came across this paraglider site http://www.laboratoridenvol.com/projects/bhl/bhl.html The plans available are very good but do need you to understand what each aspect of a wing is all about because you do need to make changes to the standard paraglider. The result however is truly a step on from the Nasa kites.

The delta looks like a real good place to start with a self-build and you will learn a lot from it.

sadsack - 29-9-2014 at 01:42 PM

Hi,
I was getting know place trying make the bridles the way I was doing it. So I build a bridle board today. I just got done with a small airfoil, so i made the line set for it. It work very nice and fast.

HPIM1171.JPG - 121kB HPIM1173.JPG - 120kB HPIM1174.JPG - 133kB

it is 8 foot long and can do two lines at the same time. I only have one line on now. I have 120 feet of line on it and it took me about 3 min to do it. fast and easy. Soon I will be flying my new nasa wing kite, Life is great.

renny

bigE123 - 30-9-2014 at 02:03 AM

Well done! Depending on the line you are using the key is keeping a constant tension as you do each line. What I do is as I connect each bridle line to the kite check it against the previous one to make sure the difference is correct. It's better taking the time at that point, rather than when it's in the air and trying to see if there is a uniform tension across the kite. I also mark each line with it's number as I measure it to save any mix-ups.

Good luck :D

sadsack - 30-9-2014 at 06:50 AM

Thanks that is very good info
renny

sadsack - 2-10-2014 at 12:56 PM

I build my first single shin kite, and tryed to fly it to day. sorry no photos by myself, going have to get me a helper.
This is what happen. The wind out of the south about 3 to 6 MPH. I made a little stand for my kite to lay back on so they will stand up right. I put my delta wing up next the stand. The wind will go from 0 to 5 or 6 MPH then back to 0. I wait for a good gust to come. wait I am getting a head of my self here.
here is what the kite look like and the dim. and where the bridle is hooked up to the kite

first SingleSkin kite.JPG - 18kB

I have the bridle set up as a one line bridle. the bridle is 14 feet long. I have about 5 deg. of angle of attack. I was worried the the wings would full out with the wind.

This is what happen. I was holding the bridle at the know where the flying line would be hooked up at. The gust came and I puled the hard on the bridle................................ The kite filled with air and took off, went up for about 6 to 10 feet then made a 180 deg. toward the ground. I tryed many time to get it off the ground and fly. No go, just did the same thing. I then tryed to hold the right side of the bridle in my right hand and the left in my left hand. Well it flew for a few sec be for I lost control of it. So even that it did not fly, I am going to make it a four line kite and then it will fly. That is the end took to much space up on this.
well get a helper to take photos next time I hope. Going to put ad in GList for a helper, who know what I will get, hope it human.
reny

bigE123 - 3-10-2014 at 12:30 AM

Nice one! I'd agree with making it a four line kite to get it flying first. I'll find you a link to the delta I have seen which has been made into a single line kite if that is the route you wanted to take for your kite, otherwise going four line will enable you to control the flight.

sadsack - 3-10-2014 at 04:41 AM

I need to find some dacrow braided hollow core(core must be yellow) line. If any one know where I can buy some let me know.

bigE123 - 3-10-2014 at 06:36 AM

dacrow? Hollow braided? Did you mean Dacron? Usually line is braided with a dyneema core, or are you looking for some sleeving? like this:

sadsack - 5-10-2014 at 09:39 AM

"Did you mean Dacron? " yes i did.
I need it for the bridle for my nasa wing.

rectifier - 3-11-2014 at 10:58 AM

For bridle line, why do you need hollow core and why must it be yellow?

I have bridled up to a 7m NPW with solid 100# Spectra fishing line. Affordable, available and comes in many colours :) Give it a try.
Never had a break. I didn't pre-stretch it but it may be a good idea. Also, you need to learn specific knots for Spectra/Dyneema or it will just slip undone.

I also see you are using my favorite material, spin-bonded polyolefin! Official Tyvek brand has a tighter weave than the store-brand stuff and is also lighter - you will find it similarly priced, too.

Hey BigE, it sounds like you may have built a single-skin foil like the one in the link? Got a build thread or more info? Winter is coming and I'm getting that old kite-building feeling again... I love NPWs, but that kite looks exciting...

kite Man Renny - 18-11-2014 at 08:27 AM

here is my latest NPW 5
1.1M2

here is a nother one just cut out

npw5.JPG - 27kB npw1.JPG - 25kB

kite Man Renny - 22-11-2014 at 01:13 PM

At long last, Santa Claus does fly, no wind gray day with rain. but up he goes.

Wind about 2 to 3 MPH

I was very happy is flew in that low of wind. I have it flying in 25 to 35 MPH.

I love flying NPW 5.

I can't wait on till the wind is up, I do have someone to take photos now. She is just learning.

Got to go enjoy
renny

bigE123 - 23-11-2014 at 04:19 AM

Hi Renny,
good to see it flying! There is something really appealing about the shape of the NPWs flying fully inflated. Well done :D

My first build was a 3m NPW5 and the odd time I fly it, it still puts a smile on my face.

Have you thought about putting a "Z" bridle on it now it's flying? May stop the odd nose collapse.

E

kite Man Renny - 23-11-2014 at 02:01 PM

Don't know what a z bridle is. I am new at this kite making, just been doing it from June this year. I have made over 50 kites.
renny

soliver - 23-11-2014 at 03:58 PM

I'm not a NASA wing flyer, but my understanding is that the Z bridle allows you to fly an NPW on handles like a 4 line foil, not requiring constant brake pressure.

John Holgate put Z bridles on his NASA Star 2's and did a great video showing how they work

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2QWrsXTn-M

bigE123 - 24-11-2014 at 02:47 AM

When you fly an NPW they need constant brake pressure on the handles to prevent the nose collapsing. Whilst this after a while becomes second nature adding a Z bridle at the kite end, means that the brake line is always under tension and hence minimises any nose collapse. You can then hold the handles more like a foil i.e. with the power line between the top two fingers. Without a Z bridle you need to hold the handles with the power line above the top finger.

Here is what is looks like:

kite Man Renny - 24-11-2014 at 08:36 AM

Thanks I will look into that.

Do you feel lucky!!! Then here you go, a new NPW 5 is born. Its name is snake eyes.

It should be flying by the end of the week. Then a big one is coming.

All the snow is gone, but there is snow in the forecast.

renny

sadsack - 24-11-2014 at 02:42 PM

I am back to sadsack, for a long time I could not log in as sadsack, but now I can.

I am back

sadsack - 26-11-2014 at 01:51 PM

Snake eyes it ready ti fly, but no wind. tomorrow the wind may come back. Will put up photos.

sadsack - 28-11-2014 at 12:52 PM

At long last the wing is good, yesterday it was blowing 25 to 35 mph. Today it is about 4 or 5 some time, some time it is 0. But it flew very well.
I am putting this one up for sale, it is the last 1.1m2 that I am going make.
On to bigger and I hope better things.

I am going have to learn how to fly a 4 line kite, I don't do a very good job of it now.

I got to fly today for about 5 min befor the wind died. But it was fun, I played around with the brakes line.
renny

sadsack - 28-11-2014 at 01:28 PM

Here is a very bad movie of snake eyes first flight. Larry took it and is not very good at make movies. This was his first time doing it.

http://youtu.be/O16S4q25gIk

sadsack - 29-11-2014 at 02:53 PM

I think I am going nuts. My back is killing me from the kite dragging all over the place. I was going to just lay a round this afternoon and watch a movie.
I just could not stop myself from starting my new NPW 5 kite. I got to use my new table for the first time today. This table is going to work out ok. This kite should pull me like I am a 3oz sinker. It is going be 4.1 M2. I just could not stand it that I kite making table was empty. I have not been this driven in many years. kite they are something.

PHOTOS

I should have it all cut out tonight.
by

sadsack - 1-12-2014 at 11:58 AM

Here is my new NPW 5 4m2 all cut and layed out on the floor.

This is by far the biggest kite I have made to date.

I will start sewing on it today.

I will let you all know how thing are coming.

Randy - 1-12-2014 at 02:45 PM

So do you like the Descender? Use it with your kites?

sadsack - 1-12-2014 at 02:56 PM

I have not try it with a kite yet. I have used it all summer of the beaten path. I am happy with it. I just with the wheels was bigger, say 6".

Randy - 1-12-2014 at 03:12 PM

Its on my list with Santa.

sadsack - 1-12-2014 at 04:39 PM

good I hope you get it, I am to old Santa just past me by.

bigE123 - 2-12-2014 at 01:37 AM

Nice work Renny, it looks like the NPW bug has bitten :D

sadsack - 2-12-2014 at 08:04 AM

In a big way

ssayre - 4-12-2014 at 04:44 AM

How's the 4 meter coming along?

sadsack - 4-12-2014 at 09:35 AM

Very good, It is going slow right now, I am working on the art work and I am no artiest.
But when that is done I will be moving fast.

Randy - 5-12-2014 at 08:18 PM

Now I've gotten into the do it yourself NPW craze. After getting the beautiful 4.0 (which makes a cameo in the video) from the npw goddess , I'm almost embarrassed to show this one -but that's never stopped me before. And the question has come up about how hard it is to make an NPW for the first time.

I actually have been trying kitemaking now for several months w.o. much success, generally getting frustrated by not being competent with the sewing machine. I've made a few small sled kites that didn't fly very well.

I also was fairly intimidated by the various plans I'd read (despite the fact that the Tom White plans which I followed are quite excellent). So I decided to try this 1.0 meter Dollar Tree NPW5 (no they don't sell the kite now, just the stuff you need to make one) to see if I ever could put one together assuming I could actually do the sewing. I also figured it would be very helpful to see how one of these things actually went together - sort of a scale model of the process.

sadsack - 6-12-2014 at 02:19 AM

I like it, very nice. What did you make it out of, a blue tarp? it looked nice.:bisou:

bigE123 - 6-12-2014 at 02:42 AM

Amazing! The only thing I would be wary of is how the bridle attachment points would handle the load of using it for traction, I take it it's an NPW 5? It just goes to prove that the NASA design is pretty versatile and doesn't need really light materials to fly :D

Randy - 6-12-2014 at 04:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sadsack  
I like it, very nice. What did you make it out of, a blue tarp? it looked nice.:bisou:

Yes its a blue tarp, but not the heavy duty kind you see at Home Deport. Its pretty light (probably too light to actually use as a tarp) but very strong. I can't tear it apart with my hands. It is really light. I thought it would take a lot of wind to get this to fly, but it really didn't.

bigE123, It is an NPW5. The bridle line on the back in the main panel is probably the weakest point. I may try to reinforce that, but it showed no signs of failing yesterday, albeit in light wind. The side panel bridle lines are very solid - amazing how grippy duct tape is. I did a test hanging a 20 lb weight from one line and it held. (Try to post a picture of that later.)

I found the tarp material can be sewed (I did sew the darts though I think they could be taped or stapled), so I may put some stitches in to tie it down in future itereations. The purpose of this was not to really make a traction kite for towing, but to see how the whole thing goes together. I learned a lot from this. (Also I'm new to flying quad lines so this is helping me learn that too.) I do plan to take it out in a lot of wind to see how it holds up.

ssayre - 6-12-2014 at 05:16 AM

Nice! How did you attach the bridle in the middle?

Randy - 6-12-2014 at 06:12 AM

I used 3M clear packing tape (from Dollar Tree, of course). I was originally going to replace that with duct tape after putting the bridles in because its very strong, easy to apply and peel away, while duct tape is more or less permanent. At the time, I thought being able to see where the line is would be important, though I don't thinks that's critical now. It seems quite strong - pulling against the line I can't remove it. Since you have 12 bridle lines all pulling on the reinforcement line against each other there is some synergy.

After flying for 2 hours in light wind no issues apparent so I'll see if I need to do that.

p11.jpg - 138kB

BTW - I'm finding this material is much easier to sew than the kite fabric I have, so future iterations may have more conventional reinforced seams and the like. Certainly, this approach is probably limited to very small kites like this one.

ssayre - 6-12-2014 at 06:36 AM

That's awesome. That looks like a great way to start building and flying as a prelude to actually sewing so you have some idea of what your doing.

Randy - 6-12-2014 at 06:38 AM

That was the main reason for doing it. I really wanted to build a model to see how this all worked. I figured if it didn't fly, I should just give up. Since it does, well, who knows?

bobalooie57 - 6-12-2014 at 08:57 AM

I like it! I have had many folks ask if I made my own kite, and I've had to confess a lady in Louisiana made them for me. It must be gratifying to be able to say, Yep, I slapped her together with a tarp and some duct tape! Good job!

sadsack - 6-12-2014 at 11:44 AM

You soon will be sewing then, and much bigger one too.

soliver - 6-12-2014 at 04:30 PM

Randy, Like most of what goes into making something, it's only not knowing how that is intimidating... Using a sewing machine really isn't that hard... Spend some time on the machine doing things like making weight bags or fix your pants... simple things that won't hurt a kite design if you do them wrong. Then when you feel ready go for the NPW...

I've used a machine to sew a great many single line kites and it's real quite an easy thing to use... It's just getting used to how it works. I've never tried an NPW because I don't feel I have the time to invest in it... While I want to try flying one, I'd rather buy one.

sadsack - 7-12-2014 at 01:15 PM

When I started to make kite about 6 months ago, I ask around what kites I should start outwith.
I was told just start making them, more you make better you come at making then. So i did in the last 6 months I have made about 60 + and I have 2 going now. just start and the kites will take care on then selfs. it is like you go in to a kite trans and when you come out the kite is done.:cool:

Randy - 7-12-2014 at 01:54 PM

Yeah I think I experienced the kite trance. Now I'm trying to decide what to make next. I've only made 3 so far. Oddly, the most complicated kite I made (the 1 m2 NPW) flies much better than the sled kites I made. But they have to fly themselves with a single string, while I can control the NPW. But yeah, it makes the most sense to "just do it."

BTW - flew "lil Blue" again today for about an hour - wind about 5-15, starting to feel a real tug from it at times. No signs of wear on any of the taped parts or in the tarp material. If nothing else this is a fun quad trainer to fly though its obviously much quicker and more responsive than my bigger kites, so its more of a toy. But fun. Flew the new 4.0 NPW as well - a huge amount of pull - went off the 60 foot onto short lines.

sadsack - 8-12-2014 at 02:54 AM

I am working on a 4.0 NPW now. Hope to be done this week.
Now just waiting for some snow, but still can use my skates.:frog:

soliver - 8-12-2014 at 05:20 PM

Randy... I'd love to try that 4m next time we meet up!

Randy - 8-12-2014 at 05:32 PM

That would be fine. I was thinking of going to Swift C tommorrow, in case you can make a lunchtime run. I flew it today with my landboard at my spot on Lake Lanier. Worked pretty well - wind was 10-20 and gusty. I did have to park it for a while though when the winds got really strong. I'm still learning quad lines but like them a whole lot. My 1.0 has been a fun trainer, though it moves a lot quicker than the 4.0. I'm probably going to convert the Nasa Star 5.5 to four line as I get more comfortable with it.

soliver - 8-12-2014 at 05:40 PM

Not anytime soon... I've got a Class in January with LOTS of reading to do,... Lunch breaks will be knee deep in textbooks for the next few months, but I'm hoping to break away at some point for a break... I'll let you know.

soliver - 8-12-2014 at 05:46 PM

CR@P... Tomorrow looks nice! Tomorrow would be a great "take a break" day, but unfortunately I have a Dr. Appointment in the morning and a prior engagement in the afternoon.

bigE123 - 9-12-2014 at 05:06 AM

Hi Randy, if your looking for short cuts just to get a kite built and flying, instead of sewing the darts, run a line in the top LE seam, secure on end and shorten it by the dart width and secure it. It's not something I do but I do know of ppl doing it if they are building a quickie. Like sadsack said sewing is a matter of just doing it and keeping your patience, before long you'll be thinking "what was I worried about".

bigE123 - 9-12-2014 at 05:20 AM

Oh and while I think on, material: You can get 60g/m2 ripstop material which is fairly cheap off flea bay, it's easy to work with and bullet proof, as you go lighter it becomes a bit harder to work with (especially parachute type material, it has a more silky feel) is a real pain.
The lighter the material the less wind it'll fly in, but you need to take more care making sure there are reinforcements in key areas. My big NASA and batman is done in 56g/m2 material and both have taken loads of abuse, have had both stuck in trees and once hauled out no damage at all to the material.

Randy - 10-12-2014 at 05:16 AM

@bigE123 - thanks for the tips. I'm working on a npw9b now, 1.8 m.

skimtwashington - 10-12-2014 at 05:41 AM

Say big123...

How do you apply your decorative patterns, colors onto your fabric?

bigE123 - 10-12-2014 at 10:00 AM

It's all stitched, appliqué is the official name for the technique, the batman and pirate have the centre cut out and the lighter material sewn in-place to let the light through. The NASA etc are true appliqué where the pattern is hot cut, then stitched onto the kite skin.

Nothing fancy for this new build tho' due to the amount of sewing just for the basic build, each side is now just over half way done:

soliver - 10-12-2014 at 11:40 AM

Excited to see that airborne bigE!

ssayre - 10-12-2014 at 02:11 PM

I'll take a 4 and a 7 meter BigE :D

sadsack - 13-12-2014 at 10:00 AM

well here is my Golden Girl first flight.

She is 4.5 M2 and pulls very hard. The wind is only 3 to 4 MPH and it pulls me all over the beach. The guy that taking the movies left the camera running and it fill up the men. card. This is all I got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5RrT7bRWrY&feature=yout...

This sail is a power kite, it flew very nice once I a justed the lines some.
Going to try for some more photo.
renny

soliver - 13-12-2014 at 11:36 AM

Golden girl?... So is the silhouette in the middle of Bea Arthur? Rue McClanahan? Betty White? Or maybe Estelle Getty? :lol:

Looks good Renny, love to see a good close up pic of the kite... Good work!

sadsack - 13-12-2014 at 12:56 PM

Ones I adjusted the lines it flew great. I may not be able to show a close up, she is nude. 4 MPH wind and it was pulling me around the beach. This will work well with my snow blades.:frog:

ssayre - 13-12-2014 at 01:17 PM

No wonder the artwork took longer.

Randy - 14-12-2014 at 05:16 AM

Hey Renny, keep up the good work!

sadsack - 14-12-2014 at 12:16 PM

I flew for 3hours today, here is my girl

:frog:

Randy - 14-12-2014 at 05:51 PM

Nice pictures. Keep us posted.

I've flown the 1.0 maybe 8-10 times now, in winds ranging from very light to 20+. I've used it to pull me on my landboard downwind on pavement in 20 MPH+ or so, crashed it into the lake, drug it through mud to get it out, and generally abused it as much as possible. I pretty much use it whenever I go to fly as my "wind dummy" to try to figure out how much wind there is. So far - no signs that the material or duct taping is showing any signs of wear, other than being a bit dirty now. I'm working on a new video just showing flight. Originally, I thought if it just flies its a success - and now its well exceeded that.

Work on the 1.8 m NPW9 is progressing pretty well. I used the Bill Painter method on making the sail from his website, and, of course, Tom White's calculator program. I've done everything except (only - ha!) cut half the bridles and attached them all. I did the darts in more or less the conventional manner using hot cutting and sewing the seam. The tarp material seems to hot cut the same as nylon - it ends up tacked together, which makes the sewing a lot easier. Here's a picture of the two kites at present.

p13.jpg - 233kB

sadsack - 14-12-2014 at 05:57 PM

Nice Randy, I flew for 3 hours today and I was wiped out. Hard work, but some one have to do it.

Here is the movie from today.

:alien:

Randy - 14-12-2014 at 07:48 PM

Nice camera work.

sadsack - 15-12-2014 at 10:11 AM

I have no made up my mind on what is next. I want to start a new kite this week. I am going lay around for today, have to recover from yesterday.
renny

bigE123 - 16-12-2014 at 01:51 AM

Nice footage Renny :D

bigE123 - 16-12-2014 at 09:18 AM

Still plodding on with my build, only 5 seams left before the kite is finished ready to bridle.

Wing tip to centre panel on one side complete, four panels to go to complete the other side:

Randy - 16-12-2014 at 09:50 AM

Finished the NPW9b 1.8 m this morning and took it out for the first flights. It was 7-16 or so, and gusty and it was pretty amazing how much pull this thing has. Flew for a while and took it home to make sure its holding up. So far looks like it is.

Snapshot 2.png - 201kB

bigE123 - 16-12-2014 at 10:18 AM

:D nothing better than flying a kite you have built. Well done!

sadsack - 16-12-2014 at 12:17 PM

very nice Randy

Randy - 16-12-2014 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for the comments. Here's a picture not flying. Thinking of putting one of these on as a theme. (Dollar tree helium balloon - made of mylar, I think.) I'm leaning to Elmo but it might just be a bit below my age bracket (62 in a matter of weeks.)

p4small.jpg - 194kB

Just got back from flying another hour and half. Pretty windy maybe 5- to 20+. This thing really can pull. Flies quite a bit different from the 1.0 NPW 5 (which is much quicker and much more responsive, but probably that is just a matter of it being much smaller and me more used to it.)

sadsack - 16-12-2014 at 07:35 PM

Randy , I am 70, so don't feel bad. I love making and flying kites. I been a pilot all my life, my dad was a pilot in ww2 and had a small crop dusting co. I been flying all my life. Never flew a kite when I was a kid. I enjoy flying kite better than flying aircraft now.

bigE123 - 18-12-2014 at 05:17 AM

A new kite is born :D Ready for bridling:

Projected area 5.95m2 with a projected AR of 3.46

Now for some bridles erm @ 116 of them!

Randy - 18-12-2014 at 05:56 AM

Looks really interesting. 116 bridles! And I thought I had bridle fatigue after "only 48." Keep us posted. Love to see how it turns out.

Here's a very short video of my 1.8. I've got lots more (and better footage, but will try to post it later.)

After watching this - I think I should paint it black and make it look like a B2 Stealth.

bigE123 - 18-12-2014 at 07:02 AM

Hi Randy, difficult to tell from the video but if you don't have a "Z" bridle fitted you need to fly an NPW with the power lines above your top finger it helps keep the brake pressure on.

ssayre - 18-12-2014 at 07:18 AM

I don't know how much more of this I can take before I try making one. Especially using Randy's no sew inexpensive option.

skimtwashington - 18-12-2014 at 08:02 AM

Inevitable that a comparison will be invited between bigE123's new kite and the Peak. Will be difficult without physically doing side by side comparison.

(The comparison between it and NPW, no problem obviously)

Wont have the 'fixed curl' leading edge of Peak, I'm guessing, for one thing(or might it?)....and no built in edge stiffeners....

bigE123 - 18-12-2014 at 08:51 AM

Hi skimtwashington, the build I'm doing has the fixed LE curl, the pic I took the kite is upside down (hanging by the TE) and you can see the curl which have the stiffeners in-place. You're right it would be interesting to see how it compares with a Peak. Once finished I'm going to do a side-by-side with one of my 6m NPWs and a 4.9m blade as that's the closest size foil I have to it. If it's creating much more power than the blade (which I reckon it will) I'll try it against my 8.5 blade.

Randy - 18-12-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bigE123  
Hi Randy, difficult to tell from the video but if you don't have a "Z" bridle fitted you need to fly an NPW with the power lines above your top finger it helps keep the brake pressure on.

Don't have the z=bridle, but do fly with the line above my top finger. I do feel like the kite "slides" around a bit though. Do you think I need to adjust the brake? I can do that.

I am interested in the z-bridle - seen the drawings for them. Not clear to me how long the "z-lines" need to be. Any guidance?

sadsack - 18-12-2014 at 11:24 AM

bigE123 I would like to learn more about z bridle, do you have any photo of one. I just don't see how it works from the plan I have seen. My brain is not as good as it was at one time.

Randy - 18-12-2014 at 12:33 PM

Renny,

Here is what I've found. http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/nasa4/nasa.htm Shows the idea, I think. Not clear how long those lines should be. Also - I'm wondering does it just make the kite a two line kite with an emergency brake - or can you turn off the brakes, etc.

Here is my latest project. A single keel parawing. http://users.telenet.be/claeskites/page6.htm Can fly single or dual line. Here is where I am now. Did some actual seems on the sewing machine to hold the panels together and sew the leech line in the keel. Not the greatest job on that, but it will probably be stronger than taping the panels. Since its 1.45 M, I am satisfied to tape the perimeter, as I've had no problems yet with the 1.0 or 1.8. (And I tire quickly of sewing.) Only about 20 bridles on this one. Can go either single, or dual line.

p1.jpg - 172kB p2.jpg - 221kB p3.jpg - 197kB

bigE123 - 18-12-2014 at 01:23 PM

@Renny the link that Randy has posted is the "Z" bridle, in essence with one fitted, when you release the brakes fully the Z bridle keeps the brake tension on and prevents nose collapse, as you apply the brakes for turning / back stalling they act the same.

I add an adjustment on the brake bridle attachment end so that I can trim the brake length, there is quite a small margin of adjustment from back-stalling to nose collapsing, mine are usually @ +2cm.  This effectively adds length to the brake bridle side. As for how long the lines themselves are I'd go for 30cm.

Hope that makes sense.

Randy - 18-12-2014 at 02:48 PM

@bigE123 - thanks. Will give it a try.

bigE123 - 18-12-2014 at 03:51 PM

Randy, fly the kite first to make sure you're happy with it then add a Z bridle that way all you need to think about is getting the brake "sweet spot".... Good luck :D

sadsack - 18-12-2014 at 05:45 PM

Nice Randy I got my kite going today too. it is a 5.5M2 about 6 feet high and 11 feet wide.:puzzled:

sadsack - 18-12-2014 at 05:47 PM

bigE123, I am going to use that Zbridle on this kite I am making now. I like the 9 a lot.
renny

Randy - 18-12-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sadsack  
Nice Randy I got my kite going today too. it is a 5.5M2 about 6 feet high and 11 feet wide.:puzzled:

That's big. Show us some pictures or videos!

skimtwashington - 18-12-2014 at 08:38 PM

bigE123,

Well...built in curl after all! Your getting closer to a Peak design.
The stiffeners I was referring to are located near tips of peak...(not sure.. but may be used there to stop flutter, tip tuck, increase projected area-make more flat..?)

Anyone near you own a Peak..(yet) you could try and compare..?

Wishing you great success....:thumbup:
--------------------------------------------
sadsack,

Nice job on your 'girl'.

keep it up!

sadsack - 19-12-2014 at 02:26 PM

Black Kite is here

making the center panel

laying out the wings

Cutting the wings out

sorry for the bad photos, my old camera of 15 years gave up the ghost today. So there may not be any more photos. Have no money to buy a new one.
Here is black kite Layed out in the basement
6.5 feet high and 13.5 wide, sorry i don't do CM, I am to old for that.

6.5M2
That is it for now.
renny:frog:

bigE123 - 20-12-2014 at 02:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by skimtwashington  
bigE123,

Well...built in curl after all! Your getting closer to a Peak design.
The stiffeners I was referring to are located near tips of peak...(not sure.. but may be used there to stop flutter, tip tuck, increase projected area-make more flat..?)

Anyone near you own a Peak..(yet) you could try and compare..?

Wishing you great success....:thumbup:

I think the plans I used may have been the Peaks starting point? The stiffeners run from the LE to the B bridle point. They keep the nose raised, (which is something I carried over to my NPWs), otherwise the kite would need more brake pressure / higher AoA to stop it collapsing.
It's a pity I don't know anyone with a Peak to compare performance with. My 6m will be fb so a comparison would be difficult and not really prove much.

Randy - 20-12-2014 at 03:00 PM

Renny - very stealthy looking. Looks like you have your own "skunk works" now!

sadsack - 20-12-2014 at 04:23 PM

night time flying

Randy - 22-12-2014 at 12:31 PM

Got the Single Keel Parawing up and flying today. Here's a few pictures - a cold, gray and misty day, but windy (10-20). A good day for flying, but not so much for the flying pics.

[file]8762[/file] PICT0093small.jpg - 166kB

PICT0123small.jpg - 208kB

sadsack - 22-12-2014 at 12:34 PM

bigE123, I am making the line set and handles for the black kite. I have some 200 pounds spectra line for the top control lines. I should be able to use 100 or 75 pounds for the brakes or less.
What do you thing? That spectra line cost alot. I would like to use something that is cheaper for the brakes.
renny:alien:

Randy - 22-12-2014 at 12:38 PM

Renny - if you look at Tom White's calculator on the bridle page, it will compute the line strength you need for brake and power lines.
 Pages:  1    3  4