Power Kite Forum

PL Twister II 5.6

Drewculous - 24-4-2009 at 01:45 PM

:wee:Holy Crap!!:wee:

Being my first traction kite, this will be kinda baised... And the fact i literally was just flying it 10 mins ago, this may be kind scattered, but...
Winds are about 5mph right now, gusting to 10. Set up my first power kite and let fly! This kite pulls like a truck! Once through the learning curve (slightly) i try some loops and turns, get a feel for the brakes, kill it a couple of times in the air (fickle winds today, not constant at all), and drive it straight into a gust... i slide about 15 feet (on my back & butt), hop back to my feet and wrestle it back up into the sky. This kite is sweet.

It seems like its very well built, good handles, line, just a good kite! Brakes work really well. Other than the wicked pull in what i consider a breeze, this kite is amazing! As you all probably already know the Twister is a great kite, the number II has some different graphics, similar to the hornet, and a few upgrades im sure Angus can spell out better than I can. Once i get used to this kite, im sure jumping will be no biggie, the Twister II seems to want to go up... all the time!

I am completely rattled by how fun this kite is! The two line stunt kites i have flown in the past, dont even compare, completely different animal!

Armed with a now even greater respect for nature, a completely sore body, and my new Twister II, i give this kite 5 out of 5 stars! I would reccommed starting a little smaller to the smaller guys (im 6'2" 230 lbs, and i lift weights) because this kite would chew me up if i took it out in less than ideal conditions... Crazy good kite!!
:wee:

Thanks to Angus Campbell and Coastal Wind Sports for a great deal on a great kite... this kite is just awesome!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SCREWYFITS - 24-4-2009 at 03:45 PM

You should look into a brain bucket if you haven't invested yet... you probably understand the danger of these beasts now... :thumbup::thumbup:

Glad your enjoying it... now you understand why we all come atcha with the smaller kite suggestions for the beginner... I'm glad you have the background that you do to tackle this large of a kite for your first... it seems that your taking a good and safe approach by starting in lighter winds...:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the 7.7m Twister II and I'm 190lbs and 6'1" and can get tossed around pretty good with it in even higher winds, highest yet is probably 12mph...

As you get better and muscle memory builds, you'll be able to man handle that kite in the same winds, and really start to appreciate the true quality of this kite... if you have the chance to fly other kites jump on it (no pun intended)... as you fly different kites you'll look at your kite in different light (not in any bad ways) just notice the performance differences...

If you get around to it find other locals that fly power kites, most of us love to share our kites, and watch the way they fly, and tricks that they use to counter the kites power, lots to learn and it's the best learning experience ever... Just be safe :thumbup::wee:

Welcome to the kite junkie world!!!

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm pounding you at all, because I'm really excited for you and hope you enjoy this sport for a long time...

So have you thought about all the kites you wanna get yet, if not, all in due time... I think the hooks are in!!!

acampbell - 25-4-2009 at 05:51 AM

Andrew I am so glad you are having a good time with the kite and that you seem to be managing it with the right respect.

Just for the record, Andrew and I had an extensive conversation about the size of his first 4-line kite, his prior experience with some pretty big 2-line kites, his size and weight, and the right flying conditions. He sounded like he had a good head on his shoulders. Otherwise I would not have allowed the sale.

Glad we have a new addict amongst us.

Drewculous - 27-4-2009 at 06:37 AM

after looking at my review i noticed one thing i wanted to clarify... im sore because my muscles havent been used that way, not cuz i got tossed all over.

I took it out again this weekend, kinda cold and crappy, but i still had to get some more time in :singing:

Went out friday night, and found out what way NOT to wind up my lines... so spent the evening untangling lines.

Saturday winds seemed right, went to my soccer fields, and no wind at all, went out of town a ways to some old baseball diamonds, too much wind. I was kinda mad. So i went back into town and to some other parks and finally found one with the right amount of wind. I flew for about 4 hours. Hit one nasty gust and went for a scudd, about 5 ft on my feet, and about 10 on my butt, and about 10 on my back... didnt crash the kite, and even got back up... you do get some funny looks when you are lying on your back flying a kite!

It was just a blast, crazy good fun... It always cracks me up... whenever im out flying, any kite, i get like a 5 year old kid wanting to try, this time was no execption... he saw my scudding and decided it wasnt his kind of kite lol!

Kamikuza - 27-4-2009 at 06:41 AM

I took my Rebble out in the tail-end of a typhoon here once ... but I decided I'd had enough when with the kite parked at the zenith, I was getting lifted into the air :wee: neat toys huh :D

Drewculous - 8-5-2009 at 11:54 AM

Had some more time on this bad boy. Broke my jumping cherry, and put some real time in with it.

This kite is still glowing in my mind, i feel the pull in my sleep. Just nuts

Screwy: I gave some thought to your question, and man i can only think of a few i want... even though i really shouldnt want one of them yet...
I want a BIG Buzz or a Vibe, so my friends can fly with me and not get hurt and have a good time.
And as many warnings as im gonna get, i still want a Blade. Something that powerful, i gotta own... I'll prolly get hurt, but they just look like such a riot to fly. I just gotta keep tellin myself, later, later, you still are new, get better first!:tumble:

gbboy - 11-5-2009 at 08:18 PM

I just got my 5.6 twister today on a bar. Are the handles easier to fly with? Is it relaunchable with the leading edge down?

There were very light winds today and this kite still pulled like a semi. What a blast!:wee:

acampbell - 12-5-2009 at 04:58 AM

Handles are not necessarily easier to fly with and some will argue that the bar is easier, but you do give up the finesse of individual brake control that you get with handles and that can male a difference in light air.

Sure you can reverse launch on a bar. When the kite is nose down, just reach and grab the center brake lines and pull. when the kite is about a wingspan off the ground, let go of the brakes and fly it out.

Review as a jumper!

Drewculous - 16-5-2009 at 10:51 AM

If you are just getting into jumping this kite seems ideal for my size... 6'2" 230lbs. I can get 2-3 footers all day, with a good 'lofty' feel when commin down. If your tek is pretty good, 5'-ers come very easily. I even nailed quite a few in the 5'-10' range yesterday with no problems (only 1 botched landing in that height, and it was no biggie, just had to keep the kite rolling after my 5 point-roll-attempt)

I will say high-height winds are really wicked with this kite. It wants to fly right behind you, and in these conditions, the wind is deceving

I did have a "oh crap" moment with this kite.... I nailed a 'perfect set-up run' and jumped and this kite took me for a ride! In my own defense the wind on the ground was right around 10mph, but the winds up high must have been considerably higher. Bragging and poor judgement aside, i was over 10' up, and traveled a decent distance... i really tried to keep my kite in the lofty zone pretty much right above me, and did alright. The landing wasnt overly hard, but i landed right on my left heel, so its a little sore. Comparable to jumping off of a 3' table and landing square on your heel... ugh

This kite is not for the beginner, and if you have never flown, this is not your kite. But if you know your way around these incredibly fun, albeit somewhat dangerous, kites, the twister is a must have. The whole time i fly, i know right where it is goin, no surprises (from the kite), and very smooth ride. Jumping is a breeze given the right conditions, and it is just a riot. Just do yourself a favor, and follow a couple of suggestions before pushing this kite:
1. RESPECT THE WIND, you are at its mercy
2. take baby steps when trying anything new (they hurt less if you screw up)
3.get a complete feel for the conditions, ive found no two flights have been the same (the whole respect the wind thing comes into play again)

Everything about this kite makes it a must have. If you are in the market for a good all around, fairly 'lifty', extremely well built, fixed bridal kite... Look into the Twister II, you'll be glad you did!!

Bladerunner - 17-5-2009 at 09:27 AM

After my introduction to the 7.7 . I would suggest you can probably get a LOT more out of this kite using handles !

I'm not anti-bars. I spent a LOT of time trying different bars on my fixed bridles. I would add a crossover set-up to the bar if I owned one.

I will try the crossover on our Twister A.S.A.P.

Has anyone tried this kite on both handles and bar ?

soccerflyer - 17-7-2009 at 06:13 AM

I would also like to know. Has anyone tried this kite on handles?

Drewculous - 17-7-2009 at 07:15 AM

Thats how i got it was on handles... best way IMO, lots of control. Ive heard the bar is pretty lame on this kite, slow turning.

Handles are good on this kite:thumbup:

soccerflyer - 16-9-2009 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
After my introduction to the 7.7 . I would suggest you can probably get a LOT more out of this kite using handles !

I'm not anti-bars. I spent a LOT of time trying different bars on my fixed bridles. I would add a crossover set-up to the bar if I owned one.

I will try the crossover on our Twister A.S.A.P.

Has anyone tried this kite on both handles and bar ?

Did you ever put a crossover bar on it? How did she do?

lives2fly - 18-12-2009 at 04:56 AM

Hey

I saw the other thread about Twisters before I saw this one but yeah I have flown a 5.6m on both handles and bar.

I started my kiting on the water so I feel way more comfy with a bar (how do you ride toeside with handles for a start? its not like you can let go of one!?)

This Twister (5.6) is pretty slow and unresponsive with the 50cm bar it comes with. A real disapointment. I am now flying it with a 70cm flexifoil bar and its awesome! that tiny PL bar just doesn't work unless the kite is right near the top of its wind range.

Thats another thing to mention. This kite works better the windier it gets. Because its a powerful kite with a lot of lift you tend to be quite cautious when you first fly it but as you get more confident and take it out in 12mph + you will start to see its potential - it really kicks off at about 14-15 for me. The short bar becomes useful again 16-20mph where the smaller input range helps you maintain control of the kite.

I just get hauled downwind at 18mph + or I have to edge so hard that I get boosted the minute I relax it! (usually with bad results!!)

dragon2009uk - 25-1-2010 at 09:09 PM

hi,

looking into getting a PL Twister 2 5.6m for high winds. i want it for static jumping as i don't board or buggy. i fly radsail savage 6.5 on handles and been out flying in 30mph winds with it which is the top of the wind range for that kite. i just want to have a kite that allows me to go out in 10-15 mph stronger winds and still be getting airtime.whats the turning\flying speed like?does it lift in the centre of the window when u rise the kite straight up?

5,7" 70kgs biggist wind 40mph:D

furbowski - 25-1-2010 at 09:49 PM

How long have you been on the savage? like how many hours? and what wind range are you comfortable but powered up jumping that in? I'm going to guess 12-18 or so.

Just clarifying as a quick read of your post makes it sound like you want a twister II 5.6 so you get airtime in 40-45 mph...

But I'm going to guess that you're thinking of 22-28 mph with the twister... which tho I've not flown either sounds like a bit too much wind for jumping with the twister... You need 4m for that imho.

So I'd just say that I think you'll get too much overlap, if you want significantly higher upper range you need to go for a 4m or a smallish arc (10-12).

The other thing to consider is that as the wind speed increases the intensity as well the speed of onset (how quick they happen) increases as well, and the smaller kites you fly at those wind speeds magnify that difference.

just my two cents...

Bear in mind I've not flown either kite, but my go-to kites are ace 8 and blade 6.5 -- those two are the ones I have the most fun (in my comfort zone, having fun, not worried at all about getting hurt) jumping on static (what I do mostly).

I'm OK to jump on my 3.2 crossfire, but it's not comfy at all and usually the gustiness of my winds at those speeds makes it pretty risky. It's fun up to a point...

hope that helps...

edit: forgot to ask do you have any other kites? surely you've got one or two smaller ones? and also just add that really you should just start your own thread with a Q like that, maybe reference to this one in that one.

and.. possibly twister 4.1 is the kite for you, much less overlap in wind range.

dragon2009uk - 26-1-2010 at 10:34 AM

ive had my savage for a month.been flying for 2years. 15-20mph ish i say at the moment is comfortable jumping range for me but i have been out in alot more with my mates blade 3 4.9.

well i have a 6m spirit of air that never gets flown

Drewculous - 5-2-2010 at 08:19 AM

the 5.6 is lifty... at 240ish lbs ( i think thats what i was jumping at when i wrote this) it did really well... if you are used to jumping on a blade, this may seem a little tamer and a little slower esp. my twister is money for me in 20ish mph winds for jumping... much higher speeds than that, and i start getting hurt lol... Took it out in 30ish winds once and got a nasty loft and that was the end of high wind jumping for me :tumble:

For the dollar its a great kite... i've logged many hours on my twister, never had a regret about it, jumping and boarding are a blast on it!

Adambomb - 2-3-2010 at 08:35 AM

I'm getting the twister II 5.6, and was curious about a blade - all the vids on youtube using blades seem simply awesome (Brighton extreme). Because blades are a bit on the pricey side, they're out for now, but I can consider one for the future. If I'm 6'3" and 200 pounds, what size blade would I need for reasonable safety and great lift/loft?

Sander - 31-5-2010 at 02:37 AM

Very true comparison: 'this kite pulls like a truck!' Couldn't agree with you more Drewculous! I'm 178 cm tall and weigh about 74 kg.. 5 BFT is the limit to fly the twisterII 5.6 with a height and weight like me. >5 BFT and you get blown away. The kite obeys rather good to my actions; it doesn't do sudden moves with a controlled pull, so there's room to pull hard. It makes you feel you're in control. The lifty concept is not a lie, with 3 BFT I was able to do jumps of 3 meter in depth and 1 meter in height. I love its lift and its soft landings!

The price is extremely modest for its quality. A musthave!

Sander - 12-6-2010 at 11:11 AM

I made a video of the twister II 5.6, getting my ass dragged across the field :bouncing: !! Winds are 4 BFT/ 17 mph.. this was my 5th flying session. (I weigh 74 kg)

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUqOq8cyf1M

Drewculous - 25-6-2010 at 03:52 PM

glad ya like it sander... i stil fly it all the time

cool vid by the way... you got bigger balls then me tho... i dont use my strop to jump anymore.... a gust picked me up once, slammed me hard on my side, and drug me about 30 ft.... then i rolled up in the lines... not a good day... now i strop in the bug only and have a great time with it (i atb with it too... just no strop)

went out a week or two ago and wow'd a small crowd with some of my best jumps to date with it... nailed a 720 spin, and a couple 12' jumps... was a great time! Now i just gotta try some of those crazy flips ive seen...

power - 25-6-2010 at 10:17 PM

Don't let the kite pull you downwind during your redirect; you're loosing all the tension when you do that. Keep running cross/upwind until you can't resist the kite's pull anymore and then release completely. You'll go a lot higher that way and it might eliminate some of that downwind pull.

chiff - 1-10-2010 at 01:41 AM

Hi Folks,

I am new to this board and new to this kite. I have just bought one today after much research and working out which is the best kite and size for me. But am really pleased I got this one. It will be about a week and a half till I actually have it in my hand but thats cool.

I have a 2.1 meter HQ to play with till the big one gets here.

Am very pleased to have read all the posts here and WILL take Great Heed of the advice given about taking it very gently and getting to know this kite. Thanks heaps for All your posts and very valuable advice. :)

I live in the middle of NSW, Australia and there are No owners of kites anywhere near me so I am told. Hmm, will have to fix that eh. :)

As I am in Australia, these Kites are worth a lot of money. Am wondering how many owners have told their partners how much they are worth ? I am Not game. LOL Hope to goodness the wife does Not find out either. LOL. Any Comments ?

Kind regards to you all,

Chiff.

ps. You are most welcome to pm me if you would like too if you have some news for me or advice (politely eh). Smiles.

bobalooie57 - 1-10-2010 at 07:31 AM

Since she's probably going to find out anyway, have an expensive comparison hobby to claim it's cheaper than! But Dearest, it's cheaper than ATV'ing, or Motorcycling, and if you happen to indulge in all these pastimes, you can always claim, well, it keeps me out of trouble!:tumble:

edit: BTW, welcome to thePKF!

Sander - 1-10-2010 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
Don't let the kite pull you downwind during your redirect; you're loosing all the tension when you do that. Keep running cross/upwind until you can't resist the kite's pull anymore and then release completely. You'll go a lot higher that way and it might eliminate some of that downwind pull.

Power, what do you mean with 'release completely'? When you're running upwinds, and feel the lift that pulls you off the ground, how can you avoid the kite going downwind?

regards!

Sander - 1-10-2010 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewculous
glad ya like it sander... i stil fly it all the time

cool vid by the way... you got bigger balls then me tho... i dont use my strop to jump anymore.... a gust picked me up once, slammed me hard on my side, and drug me about 30 ft.... then i rolled up in the lines... not a good day... now i strop in the bug only and have a great time with it (i atb with it too... just no strop)

went out a week or two ago and wow'd a small crowd with some of my best jumps to date with it... nailed a 720 spin, and a couple 12' jumps... was a great time! Now i just gotta try some of those crazy flips ive seen...
The jumps i'm doing nowadays are way higher and more beatiful to watch than the vidlink shown above. I don't use my strop anymore, it limits my freedom to do some tricks while i'm in the air :) in the future, i will post another link where you can look at my 'progression' ..

chiff - 1-10-2010 at 10:57 AM

I have a silly question for ya'll.

Would a brand new kites lines last a year or 2 or whatever ?

How often do you have before having to replace them ? Am not talking about if they break. Hopefully they won't. Smiles.

Thanks heaps.

Chiff.

Maven454 - 1-10-2010 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiff

How often do you have before having to replace them ? Am not talking about if they break. Hopefully they won't. Smiles.

Thanks heaps.

Chiff.

Depends on how much you use and abuse them.

chiff - 1-10-2010 at 12:18 PM

Is there a "Field Card" for the "PL Twister II 5.6" ?

awindofchange - 1-10-2010 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiff

Thanks heaps.

Chiff.

I have linesets that I have been using for over 7-8 years now. I have also run into pilots who have just pulled their kites out of storage and the linesets are well over 15 years or more old and still work perfectly. If you take care of them they will last for an extremely long time.

Taking care of a lineset is quite simple. Other than the obvious such as ripping your lines through trees or snagging them on fences, try to keep your lines from getting snagged on small rocks, twigs or even large clumps of grass. What usually happens is that someone will have a line snagged on a clump of grass or other and think 'hey, it's a 400# line, I will just rip it off of there or yank it through". The line will normally not break when doing this but it does create an abrasion on the exterior or interior of the line that becomes a weak spot. Over time, that weak spot will begin to break down and eventually your line will break. Most people will say "Hey, it just broke in very light winds and I didn't do nothing to it". But they don't realize that the line has been breaking down over time and the light winds they were flying in was the "straw that broke the camel's back".

Also, watch out for single line kites or "cheaper" kites that use an inferior line. These cheap kites will use a cotton braid line which is ok for single line kites but can be like a knife through butter when they come into contact with your high dollar Spectra or Dyneema linesets. The reason is that cotton line is very abrasive and has a very high melting point. Spectra and Dyneema have a very low melting point and are super slick when the cotton line rubs against your Spectra line, it creates a huge amount of friction heat and it literally melts right through the Spectra line - usually in a matter of seconds.

Another thing that will slice your line into pieces is Kevlar. Kevlar was once the national standard in kite line but is not used much these days and is very rare that anyone would have a set. Some of the old school kiters may still have Kevlar linesets though as they virtually never wear out - but you do have to wax it from time to time to keep it slick. Kevlar is like flying with steel razor wire and will slice through every other line on the market with ease - including cotton braid lines. If you happen to be flying with Kevlar, please be courteous and mention it to all other kiters in your area so they can be careful when flying around you. :)

Hope that helps.

chiff - 1-10-2010 at 03:45 PM

awindofchange,

Thank YOU so much for your very detailed notes. Am sure that many others will get the benefit of your knowledge too.

My line will be what ever comes with the kite from Peter Lynn. I don't know the brand of line that he uses for the Twister II 5.6. Someone here will know. The other thing I am unable to find out about the lines is how long they are ? I am presuming that they are 20 meters (65.62 feet). Does anyone know ?

Should I get a spare line set as I live 15 hrs drive away from the kite shop. That way if something did go wrong I got a spare set. ? Whats your opinion on my thinking ?

Kind regards to ya
Chiff.

Txshooter38 - 1-10-2010 at 08:53 PM

IMO if you have UPS service where you are...a line set could be easily shipped to you at very little cost. I am with Kent that it would be VERY rare to have a problem.

AviN - 1-3-2011 at 09:23 AM

Hey Drewculous,
I have (and started with..) the Twister II 4.1m . When I've started this sport, I got it cause it have so much pull and lift, which is great. But as you know, after a short session, your hands will start feel like noodles :spin: ....
After getting the hang of it, I've purchase the PL bar, that fit to this kite and flying it became so buttery, it was a dream...
Unfortunately, there is no de-power on this kite, which makes it a bit hard to fly when winds start to kick in above the 9mph.
All in all I totally agree with you, this kite does rock in so many levels, and it's what I like to call, an all season kite, from beginners to advance.

:mad: May the winds be with you...

-mj- - 4-3-2011 at 08:12 AM

The Twister 5.6 comes with 25m 200Kg (orange) steer & 100kg (blue) brakelines. (uhm 75ft 400lbs steering and 200 lbs brake)
Dyneema and will last, as Awindofchange mentioned, a life time.

Drewculous - 16-3-2011 at 02:36 PM

not really relevant to the twister... but i'm impressed my review stills stands for this kite lol!

still a great kite, still fly it, flew it yesterday in fact! lol

Drewculous - 9-7-2011 at 02:09 PM

just logged some absolutely epic jumps on this kite an hour or so ago...

this kite is still my go to in any wind, ive been overpowered a few times, but if there is any wind it will fly... love it.

winds today were too high/gusty for the charger, so i busted the twister out... hit a gust just perfectly, and man o man, never seen the fields from so high up! Heard a few cheers from the soccer complex after i landed that jump... spent the next hour or so popping jumps, and atbing till i couldnt hold the kite down at all.... lol it took an hour for the shakes to work their way out of my system.... epic kite... i recommend this kite to everyone, learn the basics on a smaller, non-lifty kite... but after that, you must buy one... thanks again Angus!

EPIC!
EPIC!
EPIC!
EPIC!
EPIC!
EPIC!
:lol:

Acro flirturtle - 26-9-2011 at 02:04 AM

I am planning on getting 3 twisters to cover a hole bunch of wind ranges.
3m, 5.6m, 7.7m.
i will be using this what seems to be tractor for landboarding :)

But the more i fly my 4.5m kite from decathlon on bar the less i want to go back to handles.

I seen a few posts up that this kite is poor on the bar it came with, but on a crossover it might get better.

Questions
-is getting 3 twisters a good idea for landboarding in diferent winds?
-what is a crossover bar?
-is the bar that it comes with really that bad to not fly it with the bar/ ( i know you give up on finness but the bar i fly now actually has a set up were it brakes a little eiach side when i turn.

Regards

Turtle

acampbell - 26-9-2011 at 07:02 AM

That sounds like a well sized quiver for a land board. You are likely to find the 5.6 to be the most used and most versatile.

The original Twister, esp in the larger sizes, performed poorly on a bar, but the new Twister II R is said to be much improved in this area. I have not personally tested it yet though, but my sources are reliable.

I will try to find a schematic diagram of a cross-over bar. [EDIT: see link in post below] Most regular bars have a pulley in the center that the brake lines run through. The bar in the neutral position forms two right triangles with each of the main (outside) lines, the center brake lines and the bar itself. When you yank on one end of the bar to turn the kite, the geometry of the triangles changes such that the brake line in the direction of the turn is pulled.

With a crossover bar, pulleys are used on each end of the bar to introduce mechanical advantage to amplify the brake inputs in the direction of the turn.

AviN - 26-9-2011 at 08:35 AM

I got the Twister II 4.1m and I got the crossover bar just a while ago. The kite is SOooo much easy to fly with it, the one problem I can point on, is the fact that if you'll fly it in high wind, the only way to depower the kite is to let go the bar and let the hand leash do the rest, not fun, but it's not a depowered kite. Other then this issue, I LOVE the twister....well worth to get the crossover bar.

acampbell - 26-9-2011 at 08:55 AM

The photo with the product of description of the PKD crossover bar on my web site will serve as a schematic.

The red and blue color coding will help you get it sorted in your mind. The pulleys are connected to the ends of the bar, so when you pull on the end of the bar, the pull on the respective brake line is amplified about 2:1

AviN - 26-9-2011 at 09:22 AM

Scampbell, that is a good price for that bar, I bought it for $99..... still, a very good comfy bar for the Twister kite..

dandre - 26-9-2011 at 09:26 AM

Twister is great.
But the larger sizes are not gust absorbers, they are gust lifters....

Bewaarrrr.

If your wind gets SUPER gusts that pound through you might wanna look at a used arc/foil.

being airborne when a 35mph gust hits, :wee::wee::wee::wee:

hospital.

try a depower before you drop a grand on twisters...
It's a great kite. When you just wanna go nuts static, be a little kid with your friends... .

This kite is bomb, uncertaintly the best kite around.
But when you start to get into grown man bidness, you're probably going to want depower..

A HUGE DEPOWR LIK..... 2000m kite.
FUXING PWN

Then you get to be extreme.

AviN - 26-9-2011 at 09:31 AM

As much as I like this kite Dandre, I couldn't say it better myself. Don't get me wrong, its a good kite to start with, good for jumping...if you know what you're doing, but not so good as a depower at all....and thats coming from someone who still takes the grass out from his as..... :lol:

dandre - 26-9-2011 at 09:58 AM

The selling point of the twister is you can't beat the power for the price.
Learn to wield the bokken in high winds and you will be a novice samurai of the highest caliber

acampbell - 26-9-2011 at 10:24 AM

Dandre has a good point about de-power if you are willing to drop a grand on Twisters. A 9.5 m Montana would be a worthwhile investment and very versatile on the 'board. Ozone base harness is less than $150.

Acro flirturtle - 27-9-2011 at 01:10 AM

would the 9.5 m Montana cover me in the same wind ranges as the 3 twisters.

Will be about a grand Euros if I were to get a harness and not a cheap one either.

I did think that this kite would not handle gusts nicely so a eye has to be always on the windsock ;)

This is the bar that I fly my cheap branded 4.5 m kite on now. http://www.tribord.com/EN/4-line-handle-32563608/

should I replace her with the bar that comes with the twisters if I choose this direction.

I’m still not convinced about the D power. I will hopefully start if money is there kite boarding next April so I don’t want to invest a huge amount of money on the land side of things but also want to be able to progress and learn to jump ect (with board.)

And also land board when wind is howling and when things are dead. That why my initial idea was to get 3 fixed bridles.
If advise guys?

Regards people

set of twisters

Acro flirturtle - 27-9-2011 at 03:43 AM

Thanks for your friendly advise guys

regards

dandre - 27-9-2011 at 07:13 AM

I would say it depends on your windspeeds.
If you're golden with a twister you could grab a good 9-12m depower kite used for about 450/500euros.

You'll probably need a goto kite, 9-11m and a low wind kite 15m+. If you buy both used you'll end up spending about the same amount/ less than your quiver of twisters.

The used kite market in europe is alot better than the U.S, you should have no problem finding some really good deals.

P.S. You can just use a climbing harness w/ carabiner while you're starting out.
don't spend more money than you have to.

Everyone wants to be Chasta w/ the shiny new kites, but I bet you if he didn't have those sexy kites he'd make do with what whatever came along.

Don't get fixated on a fantasy. Roll with the punches and make the best of what you've got.

Back on topic!
For a FB catered to extremeos breaking into kiting.....
You cannot beat the twister for the $$

Acro flirturtle - 28-9-2011 at 09:41 AM

the advise really helps guys/

Now im stuck.
If i get a twister im only going to get one size 5,6 or 7,7 ,thing is i already have the 4,5 from the brand tribord and cannot find any info of its projected area anywere. How will i know what twistyer best suits.
Does anybody use the twister while landboarding? if so what size and what is this kite capable of in good hands?
I am also looking for second hand montana as i might just go d power and i have found one on ebay for 200 pounds it is mentioned it has a few small holes but works fine and it comes with lines and bar.
what does everybody think?
to stay to the subject twister sounds like a cool kite for static flyers............ ;)
regards people

dandre - 28-9-2011 at 10:01 AM

5.6. the 7.7 is HOOJ.

I thought I wanted the 7.7 at first but I'm glad I thought twice about that.

Anything over 10mph and you're gonna need clearance from the control tower (not in the fun way).

Be careful buying kites that are damaged, make sure its easily repairable... Something you feel confident doing yourself.

Or take it to a local kite shop for professional repairs.

AviN - 28-9-2011 at 10:59 AM

As one that used my 4.1m Twister II with my landboard, AllI can say that it works fine, till you'll try it with gusty/high wind. The leck of depowered is really kick in and missed at those times. I whould recommend this kite for a beginner to learn how the kite acts with wind, but for the long run, do yourself a favor (especioaly on a low budget) and get a depowered kite, just so you'll be able to use it with wider rang of winds minus the risk off airborn.....The twister is NOT a stedy kite in gausty or high wind.
Hope it help

Acro flirturtle - 28-9-2011 at 10:51 PM

Agreed im gona go d power and keep the ordering of the 5.6 twister for emergancy if i dont find a montana fast ;).

Looks like a nice harness is gona be a handy accesaory afterall.

theres 20% off all harnesses in my local so i think i can go in especially with the eadded bonus of trying them on.

And yes its a bit of a tight budbet as i am going to be starting kitesurfing next aprill with the babe ;) ( thats some serios cash needed)

Thanks again guys

Soma - 29-9-2011 at 05:05 AM

As a "landboarder newbie", I can tell you that the Twister 5.6m is good for landboarding but it depends of certain factors:

1: NO gust winds. The Twister doesn't like them (and neither do I). Been rolling with 10mph steady winds and less and it pulls like a train, :D

2: If it's the 5.6m, the wind should be less than 10-15mph otherwise you'll be rolling VERY hard and VERY fast. Control is inexistent for a newbie.

3: NO Ozone Turbo Bar. It also doesn't like to be turned through the brakes although it works great with a crossover bar. (Had to trim just a little my leader lines)

4: Lot's of space around you to roam freely without hitting innocent bystanders or objects.

If you want to landboard in higher winds, it's best to find a more gentle FB than the Twister. That's why I also have a HQ Beamer V 4M. From 12mph onward, it's as smooth as silk and a whole lot more controlable than the Twister. And it works wonders with the Turbo Bar.
If you go with the Twister, get a good harness and a strop line or a crossover bar with bar strap with quick release. The Twister works very good with that one, ;)

And the most important of all, GET YOURSELF PROTECTED, an helmet is the bare minimum. Elbow and knees should also be put on or, if you're a slow healer like me, Body Guard vest, crash shorts and good sneekers.

Just my two cents...

Acro flirturtle - 29-9-2011 at 11:47 AM

you mention it doesnt like to be turned through the brakes yet a crossover bar is basicly a bar that is disigned to add brake input in to the turns. sorry im confused ???
And yer i got my self some pads today almost braught a harness from decathlon but i decided that harness will only come with a dpower, untill then i stay without.
Im not sure if the twister is really going to pull alot more than my tribord 4,5? the actual size of the twister 5.6 is like 4,8 m not a lot more than the cheap branded one i have now.
speak laters people

acampbell - 29-9-2011 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Soma
As a "landboarder newbie", I can tell you that the Twister 5.6m is good for landboarding but it depends of certain factors:

3: NO Ozone Turbo Bar. It also doesn't like to be turned through the brakes although it works great with a crossover bar. (Had to trim just a little my leader )
Just my two cents...

There is something of a contradiction. The twister likes brakes in turns and the crossover bar works becuse it is there to amplify your brake inputs. The turbo bar is a crossover bar on steroids that lets you Change the tension on the brakes simultaneously as well as individually.

Soma - 29-9-2011 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acro flirturtle
you mention it doesnt like to be turned through the brakes yet a crossover bar is basicly a bar that is disigned to add brake input in to the turns. sorry im confused ???
And yer i got my self some pads today almost braught a harness from decathlon but i decided that harness will only come with a dpower, untill then i stay without.
Im not sure if the twister is really going to pull alot more than my tribord 4,5? the actual size of the twister 5.6 is like 4,8 m not a lot more than the cheap branded one i have now.
speak laters people

The crossover bar adds a bit of brake but turns the kite on the power lines. That is why you attatch the power lines to the tips of the bar and the brakes to the inside of the crossover.

I have a crossover bar from triboard (decathlon) and I hooked it to my friend's Zeruko PW 3.5 (smaller than your's) and it was amazing. Same thing with the Twister.
I believe that it's because they're both (and also your PW 4.5) high aspect ratio kites.
I've tried to fly it with handles and if I only use brake to turn, the kites simply luff and loose power.

But with the Turbo Bar, is the complete opposite. You attatch the power lines to the center pulley (and to the chicken loop) and the brake lines to the tip of the bar. Hence, when you turn, you pull the brake all the way, and then, the pulley's pull a bit of power line. The kite luffs all the time.

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell

There is something of a contradiction. The twister likes brakes in turns and the crossover bar works becuse it is there to amplify your brake inputs. The turbo bar is a crossover bar on steroids that lets you Change the tension on the brakes simultaneously as well as individually.

I have to disagree on that for the reasons above. The Turbo Bar really changes the tension on the brakes but by pulling the bar to turn, you pull the brake all the way. My Beamer likes that (I trust it's because of it beeing a low/medium aspect ratio kite) and once I start moving on the board, if I pull the bar a little in (pulling just a nudge on the brakes) the kite power's up even more and keeps turning very good.
The Twister doesn't do that even if I have the bar all the way out. Every time I try to turn, even if it's a slow turn, the kite stalls.

I know, beeing who you are, you're know far more about this matters than me but this is my experience and I hope you understand it as such.

Regards...

acampbell - 29-9-2011 at 02:19 PM

Actually it's been a bit since I've had a Turbo Bar in my hands and, thinking further, you make a good point about the difference between the Turbo and the normal crossover. Point taken.

Original Twisters never liked a (normal) bar, so if you had good results on a cross-over, then good on you!

lamrith - 29-9-2011 at 02:45 PM

Soma - Sounds like you are hooking the turbo bar up like a depower? Is that what it was designed for, or just an adaptation that happens to work very well for some kites?

Have you tried hooking up the twister so the power lines go to the bar ends on the turbo and see how it does? Just curious if it is a matter of connecting the kite to the bar based on how the individual kite likes to turn. might mean more kites could work well on turbo...

Soma - 29-9-2011 at 03:09 PM

@ acampbell

Yes it works. But if you have the opportunity to use one with a Beamer or any FB of the same type, try it then see for yourself. Or just ask John Holgate, ;) (main reason I bought the Turbo Bar was his clips on the buggy with this gear, Turbo Bar and Beamer, :D )

@ lamrith

The Turbo Bar is a "pseudo" depower for FBs (or so Ozone says). That's how it's instructed to be connected.

If I connect the brake lines to the center, I'll be hooked to them through the chicken loop making the kite fall (it would never launch for that matter, :puzzled: )

From my own experience, all I've seen is low/medium aspect kites work well on it, high aspect ones don't.

I have also, a Zeruko PW 2.5 that I want to try on the Turbo but wind as been low this past weeks (10mph and below).
It might work well also since it's a low aspect kite.

As a note, my Beamer as several knots on the trail edge of the bridles and also my PW 2.5 which makes it possible to adjust the brake line's length.

Both Twister and the PW 3.5 don't. The brake lines only attatch in one point.

Maybe that's what makes several work and other's don't, :puzzled:

Regards to all...

lamrith - 29-9-2011 at 03:37 PM

Ahhhh that makes allot more sense. Probably should have read more on the turbo, I was thinking it was a crossover, but it is more than just that...

acampbell - 30-9-2011 at 05:04 AM

yeah it essentially answers the question of what would happen if you hooked up a FB kite to a depower bar, but with pulleys thrown in to amplify brake inputs.

I imagine the Beamer would do well on the Turbo. I flew my Reactor 8.3 on it, and that's a kite that would not normally like a bar. It was a bit wonky, but it worked in a fashion.

New PL Twister IIR 5.6

PBandJ - 15-3-2012 at 01:14 AM

I took my new kite out today in pretty low winds, 3-5mph. First thing I want to say is how impressed I am with the kit (not a misspelling), this is my first PL kite. I already know how to set up a 4-line, but I really like the way they have the lines and bridles numbered, the build quality is top notch.

The only issue I have is with the ground stake. It is way too fat and wide at the base. I couldn't get it 2" into the hard ground where I was flying. In higher winds, this would be a problem. I have a stake with a metal rod and orange plastic handle that is far better and I will be on the lookout for another to replace the OEM stake.

First flight-- I wasn't set up correctly on my first launch and the kite flipped. Reverse launching was easy.
I love the pull of this kite. Even with the low wind I was scudding 10'-15'. Going across the window::wee: The brakes on it are super responsive and the maneuverability is quite impressive for the size.

I am looking forward to flying again tomorrow. NOAA is forecasting 7-10s.
James

indigo_wolf - 15-3-2012 at 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PBandJ
The only issue I have is with the ground stake. It is way too fat and wide at the base. I couldn't get it 2" into the hard ground where I was flying. In higher winds, this would be a problem. I have a stake with a metal rod and orange plastic handle that is far better and I will be on the lookout for another to replace the OEM stake.

James

Different stakes for different terrain. With it's fat wide base, the PL stake would probably do well in sand.

If the Metal stake with the plastic cap/handle looks like:

the it is the HQ stake... comes standard with Beamers and some of the other HQ kites.

Angus who is relatively close to you has it here, and most HQ dealers should either have it in stock or can readily order it.

It does well in most inland terrains (unless it's really, really rocks). Does ok on hard packed beaches as long as the kite is not huge, but doesn't do as well in loose sand.

ATB,
Sam

dandre - 15-3-2012 at 07:29 AM

watch out with that #@%$#!.
I'd buy one on the cheap in a second but man I have respect for what that kite can do.

Drewculous - 15-3-2012 at 03:26 PM

I still fly mine all the time... Awesome kite :D

after market stakes

Cerebite - 19-3-2012 at 06:05 PM

I agree that the "stock" stake from PL does not work well for non -sand locations.

These are my favorite stakes for my grass fields:
http://canadiankitecompany.myshopify.com/products/marble-kit...

and a local friend of mine makes these:
http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Line_and_Accessories/Other_S...

The cheap DIY solution which works very well is to get a long lumber nail [c. 1/4" diameter by 6 -12" long] and tie a couple of newspaper bags to it so you can find it on the field.