Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 19m Silver Arrow 2
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 05:59 AM

I've seen that video too - it looked like something other than simply releasing to safety though... :dunno:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
The Captain

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 06:46 AM

Another consideration....

IF the FDS bridle lines rip out of the kite for some undetermined reason (speaking from experience here), the kite will power back up as your bar slides up the fifth line to the stop knot. Having a weak link between the leash ring and the end of the FDS line is highly recommended.

The point about the FLS loading the kite on one side is true, but the load is spread around many attachment points. I have had to use the FLS for a self landing on my 21m in higher winds. It did spin a bit on the way down and took its time, but it wasn't really twisted up. It is a big kite, and the pull is significant in it's higher wind range (~17kts). The kite pulled so hard on the FLS line I couldn't hold the FLS line with gloves on, had to use my body as an anchor to walk up the FLS...hard to explain. I have used the FLS on the 12m many times without issue. FDS on a P4 several times also.

Point is, there are trade-offs for both, but they both work well. Can't think of a time I was unable to relaunch if desired...
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 07:35 AM

I went from a FLS to a FDS on my Speed 2 19m. For me the most important thing was knowing that I would be able to kill the power of the kite if I got overpowered. IMHO, nothing kills the power so completely as the FDS....

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards
AD72
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 08:52 PM

SA2 19m made it a kiteable day at Sherman Island. I was the only one there. Wind was 10-13mph with very small chop. I started off with the Mako King and then switched to the Aguera CR59. I was able to stay upwind with the Mako but it was work. The race board was amazing. The kite loves apparent wind and it was much easier to build speed and go upwind instantly. I need to work on tacking because it is not easy. February is not the month to be spending too much time in the water. Burrr....

I had a Spleen Sessions and that was a good combo with the SA. I never tried a door. But i can see if there is little chop flat boards have a definite advantage when paired with the SA.

I put it in the water when I caught a wing tip a few times. You really need the big bar with this one to make turns in low wind. The current was with the wind so I found I was drifting toward the kite slacking the lines. Swimming backwards to get some tension in the lines worked the trick to relaunch easy.
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2012 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by power
there has got to be a reason that practically all of the pro's out on the water as well as land and snow fly LEIs.

The reason is that is what their sponsors tell them to fly. They don't really have a choice at that point. If you want to be sponsored, you fly what they tell you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Feyd
I've had very little expirience with LEIs but if I were going to pick one thing that would make me want to ride one it would be the turn speed. They're damn zippy.

Funny, that's exactly the reason I wouldn't fly them. I like slower turning kites that you can really feel build the power as you redirect. I'm not in favor or kite makers constantly seeking to speed their kites up. I view that as a major detractor.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio