Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  12
Author: Subject: nasa delta para-wing kite
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 03:37 PM

Thanks for the kind comments. I did notice the nose was pretty solid and the wind window seemed wider than the 9b and the pull was even until you were at the edge of the window.

Aside the from sewing problems, I like this design since it has less bridles than the NPW 9, and is pretty straightforward in terms of construction. I'm thinking of a 2.5 meter ripstop version once I get a better sewing machine, since I've got some fabric now.

bigE123 - I saw reference in another thread or forum to a spreadsheet you made for the NPW21. I tried to download it, but for some reason was not successful. Is there anyway I can get it?

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 09:41 AM

bigE123

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 08:04 AM

First Flight!
Ready for take-off:

Another hold the handles in one hand and grab a photo with the other:

Apart from having to set the brake line tension it flew well and pulled like a train, turns much quicker than the 10m but that's to be expected.
It does not turn as well as my NPWs, by that I mean they turn fast and pretty much on their axis, the hammer needs a bit more space and seems to rotate around it's wing tip, that said it generates much more power in a turn, (ground was muddy and scudding in wellies was the only way to hold the power). When it gets drier I'll put it up against my 6m and 8m NPWs. From the feel of the first flight I reckon this 6m is knocking out the same power as my 8m NPW but only time will tell.

Blade V 4.9m & 8.5m VIP,Ozone Frenzy 11m, SS Flexifoil buggy, PL hybrid suspension buggy (PTW), MBS core 95.
homemade:
NPW 9b: 7m (Union Jack). NPW 9b HA 3m (Damien) and 10m (Jolly R). NPW21 3m, 5m (aka Zombie), 8m (Batman), 11.5m (NASA), NPW 21 HA 6.8m
The Hammers 5m, 7.2m & 12m
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 08:11 AM

What's the official size BigE... looks awesome by the way!

I'm going to take a nap now
bigE123

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 09:53 AM

:D Cheers the official size is:
Flat area 7.19m2 with a projected area of 5.95m2

Blade V 4.9m & 8.5m VIP,Ozone Frenzy 11m, SS Flexifoil buggy, PL hybrid suspension buggy (PTW), MBS core 95.
homemade:
NPW 9b: 7m (Union Jack). NPW 9b HA 3m (Damien) and 10m (Jolly R). NPW21 3m, 5m (aka Zombie), 8m (Batman), 11.5m (NASA), NPW 21 HA 6.8m
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 10:20 AM

That is a really impressive kite for sure. Excellent work!!

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 10:24 AM

Hey, that is nice, the power sound great. By spring I will be ready to make me one.
Job well done.
renny
bigE123

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 10:34 AM

For this one I changed the wing tip shape, not sure if it's that apparent, but compared to my avatar the tips on this one have a squarer profile, this was to help keep the tips inflated. From the first short flight it does seem better but it still needs the brake bridles on the tips shortening a little like I did previously. When the wind drops and the brakes are completely released the centre 7 panels stay fully inflated but the wing tips start to collapse inwards (power drops off, but I don't like it loosing shape), for that reason I'm going to add the infamous "Z" bridle as I found just a touch of brake tension made them spring back out.

homemade:
bigE123

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 10:38 AM

Renny, drop me pm when you're ready and I'll give you the parameters I used, there are a lot of parameters to play around with and I was looking to do a build that would generate more power than lift!

homemade:
sadsack

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 01:17 PM

That is a great looking sail. I just order a camera, one like
Randy has, so I can stick it to my forehead and take movies with it.:lol:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 03:38 PM

Speaking of which, today was much nicer day, and I got much better looking footage of the NPW 21 with shorter lines and the new camera (not GoPro used in the first vid, which makes everything appear very far away.) The first half is the new footage, the second half is the same as the other day. This gives a much better view of the kite itself.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 05:13 PM

Your NPW 21 looks good and fly good. You can't ask for more that that. We got about 2" of snow, forecast a nother 3 to 4". I maybe on my skis soon. wind chill is -20 F right now. cold cold cold:bird:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 05:26 PM

I love cold and miserable weather - it keeps people away from my flying/boarding spots.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 05:55 AM

I should have my new camera (one like you have) in about a week. Just in time for black kite.
It is done, all I have to do now is the bridle. As best as I can do it It come out to about 6.2M2.
A big kite. Joann have 75% of there ripstop with coupons. I am going pick up about 20 yards today. This is the last day for the sale. bigE123 where are you at? If you are close to Michigan
I would like to see your new kite in person. When the weather gets better Kite and I want to do some tripping.:cool:
bigE123

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 08:12 AM

Sadly Renny I'm on the far side of the pond in the UK. Good luck with the stealth kite.

homemade:
sadsack

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 11:31 AM

I should have know with that union jack on NPW of your. You know in the 70st I spend alot of time in your part of the world. I worked for the govt. then and was all over the place. I am all ready looking to see what I need to build a 21. I think I am going start with a 10 foot High or 308.4CM. that should pull alone the beach in the sand. Who knows, I may get a wild hair up my you know what and come over to see you.
renny:D
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 02:32 AM

10ft!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my word 16m2 you'll be able to pull the beach over with you :D My big NASA is a NPW21 with an A of 260cm and I% of A set at 70%. It flies from @ 2mph of wind and by @ 6mph is starting to pull like a train. Unless you use a buggy at that size you may never use it, that was one reason I tried a de-power system on mine to make it more usable in a slightly wider wind range.

homemade:
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 02:41 AM

bigE - I didn't happen to bump into you a few months back here in the UK did I? I was flying at my local field in Stevenage and there was a guy with a personally made kite similar to your avatar. He wasn't from the area, he was passing through and saw the field. He was flying it on a bar with a harness though.

Rev 1.5 SLE
PL Pepper 1.5m, Twister III 3m
Flysurfer Peak I 6m, Peak II 12m
Ozone Access V6 6m, 4m incoming!
Arcs Venom 13m, Synergy 15m
LEIs Slingshot Rally 7m, 9, 12m
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 03:59 AM

:D yes that was me having a nightmare moment! I was worried it was going to lift me away and it flew like a bag of poo,
That was the first outing / test with the de-power fitted and a bar..... I knew I should not have gone out in public :D It's sorted now, hence the second build.

I didn't mutter too much as mine looked like a badly pegged out sheet on a line and you were happily flying your foil around.

PS how is the boarding going?

homemade:
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 04:16 AM

Wow I can't believe that was you!!!

I think I was having my first attempts at landboarding on my 3m Twister! I've made a little progress with the boarding. Emphasis on little. I quickly realised I needed a bigger kite as I was struggling to get enough power with that 3m. Since getting the 6m Peak I've managed a few sessions of tacking back and forth, but the conditions in that field are gusty which hasn't helped my cause. More often than not I go down there and have the kite invert a few times in the gusty wind, get dragged a few times, end up with bridle mess due to the inversions, then go home and try and work out how to get the kite the right way out again.

When I saw you that was the first time I've seen a "home made" kite in the flesh, and I couldn't even begin to comprehend how one would make a kite of that size! I really want to try building a kite one day, an NPW I guess. But is it achievable by a total novice with no experience whatsoever?

Rev 1.5 SLE
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 05:06 AM

An NPW is an ideal kite to build even for a novice, if you can get your hands on a sewing machine your on your way, you don't even need an expensive one, I've used a £40 machine which did the job.
For an NPW the most you have to master is a rolled seam, the rest is down to being methodical and patient, mark, check, check again, cut. I'm down there fairly often during the week if you wanted to meet-up sometime and have a look / fly one of my NPWs. Having seen one in the "flesh" you will be able to relate more to what is needed to make one.

homemade:
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 05:15 AM

As for that field.. yes it has a strange effect on the wind, in the middle of a town, tree lined down two sides and open at each end, it's not very clean, it's my lunchtime place where I can jump out of the car throw a kite up, have a fly and out again. Takes a bit of concentration at times as the wind does suddenly drop swirl and pick up with a gust.

homemade:
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 05:20 AM

Whoa it's just sunk in you have a 6m Peak, there is a god! Would you be up for a side by side flight with the Peak and my 6m? Obviously when it's not blowing a gale and muddy.

homemade:
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 05:42 AM

I wouldn't mind a go on an NPW! I've been reading the other threads on here about the guys buying Nasa Star quivers, be interested to try that type of kite!!

And Yes you're more than welcome to compare with my Peak. That field is also my lunchtime place, I get over there whenever there's a bit of wind. I probably try to fly even in really rubbish conditions when it's not worth trying, but I guess that's all part of the addiction. I've even been over there last week in the mud. Just got an old set of clothes in the car (hidden from my wife, she thinks I'm mad!) and they are caked in mud.

I'd love to make a kite from scratch. What would you recommend for starters? A small NPW? How many hours would you estimate it would take a total newb to make a small one?

Cheers,
Paul

Rev 1.5 SLE
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 06:29 AM

As silly as this may seem there is not a huge difference in time with respect to the size, but the bigger you go the more material you have to contend with, I'd go for a 3m as it's not too big but is big enough to use in higher wind, looking at the forecast it's @16mph tomorrow and I'm looking to be down there, I'll throw my 3m in the car. Send me a U2U if you want a go.

As for how long for a first build.. maybe 20hrs ish start to finish. It's difficult to estimate as you will be doing everything for the first time, that's the beauty of building your own you can go at your own pace, the difficulty is trying not to rush it (or like me a real obsession kicks in and I have to keep going!). Once the material is marked out and cut you can pick up and put down as and when you have time.

homemade:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:00 AM

Building my first ripstop parwaing - a bigger single keel (~1.9 m). Orange and yellow. BTW - robinsonpr - the single keel is by far the easiest NASA kite to build and it is a fun two liner to fly. The plans are not very detailed like the NPW5 and NPW9 kites though. You have probably seen the progression of Renny and I in this thread. Good luck.

pr.jpg - 176kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:13 AM

How you finding the sewing Randy? Looks like you got your first seam done :D

homemade:
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:29 AM

I've just been down there. I had my gauge with me and it was blowing around 15mph for the most, lulls to 9mph, gusts up to 24mph. I didn't fancy my chances with the Peak so just put the 3m Twister up, and it was bad enough trying to keep that under control. The ground is really bad now, so slippery I couldn't hold my ground flying static and I didn't fancy scudding in that mess. My board wouldn't move, too boggy. In the end I started getting pulled around and had to dump the handles and pack up. I'm starting to wonder if it's me!!

I should be able to sneak out again tomorrow. Though the wind tomorrow looks like it's westerly, which is probably the worst direction for that field as there is a small wood running all the way along the westerly side. I'll be up for having a look though if it's not raining.

I'm very tempted to pick up a cheap machine and get cracking on a build. What sort of cost would a 3m run at for material, bridle and lines? And do you only fly these babies on handles or do they work just aswell on a bar?

Rev 1.5 SLE
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:32 AM

I sing in a Pistols tribute band....I'd love to put my logo on a kite! (http://www.thepistols.co.uk/)

Or maybe do one in Yellow & Pink like the Never Mind The B*ll*cks album cover!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Mind_the_Bollocks,_Here%2...)

Rev 1.5 SLE
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
bigE123

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:54 AM

@ robinsonpr cost depends on the quality of materials you want to use, if you went for two colours @£30 in material, @£22 for bridle line as a rough estimate. You could save money on bridle line but it's one thing I don't compromise on, if I put the time and effort in to a build I want it to be the best I can make. If you add another £10 for sundry bits' n' pieces you won't be far off.

homemade:
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  12

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio