Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  12
Author: Subject: nasa delta para-wing kite
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 03:29 PM

A couple of projects I just finished and my current one. Except for the small white kite (.7m), these are all about as big as I can make from one yard of fabric ~1 meter or a bit more depending on the design.

photo1.jpg - 30kBpsmile.jpg - 145kBpf.jpg - 37kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 05:23 PM

I will be back making kite soon, all most done with the new shop. I skied a good part of the day today good wind and a lot of snow.
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 08:42 PM

Got some wind today and flew my latest - 1 m single keel NPW, but this time the design doesn't use a carbon tube for control, rather double keel bridles as suggest by the author of 2e5.com. I tried this already on my 1.8M as well. I'm working on building all of the common NPWs (5, single keel, 9 and 21) from 1 yard of ripstop to improve my sewing skills and try to compare their flight characteristics in about the same size kite. (I also have some tendonitis in my elbow, which is making it hard to fly bigger kites for long at the moment. A kite bar is out for now - have to use hand controls which don't seem to bother me.)

NPW Test Pilot -US99
bigE123

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 04:09 AM

Nice vid Randy, really like the look of that single keel :D Are you flying it purely as a two line kite?

Blade V 4.9m & 8.5m VIP,Ozone Frenzy 11m, SS Flexifoil buggy, PL hybrid suspension buggy (PTW), MBS core 95.
homemade:
NPW 9b: 7m (Union Jack). NPW 9b HA 3m (Damien) and 10m (Jolly R). NPW21 3m, 5m (aka Zombie), 8m (Batman), 11.5m (NASA), NPW 21 HA 6.8m
The Hammers 5m, 7.2m & 12m
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bigE123  
Nice vid Randy, really like the look of that single keel :D Are you flying it purely as a two line kite?

Thanks. Yes - 2 line. The JC design was as a 2 line and my earlier versions followed his plan. Bill from 2E5.com suggested doubling the keel line (half connecting to the right and half to the left wing) to eliminate the carbon tube in JC's plan, which I implemented here. Now, he also suggested adding two lines to the brakes to make it quad which I might try as well (sort of like the v- z-bridle idea.) I think it would help on the turning so I'm probably going to try that.

Nearing completion of 1.25 m NPW 21 sail. More to follow.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
bigE123

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 06:39 AM

Looking forward to see what you think, you're gathering a good selection of similar sized kites that you can try back-to-back.

Blade V 4.9m & 8.5m VIP,Ozone Frenzy 11m, SS Flexifoil buggy, PL hybrid suspension buggy (PTW), MBS core 95.
homemade:
NPW 9b: 7m (Union Jack). NPW 9b HA 3m (Damien) and 10m (Jolly R). NPW21 3m, 5m (aka Zombie), 8m (Batman), 11.5m (NASA), NPW 21 HA 6.8m
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 09:37 AM

I've already done some comparing of my NPW5, NPW5-P and Single Keel all one meter. The 5-P so far is probably the best in terms of wind window (120 degrees or better). Maybe the new Single Keel is second (a bit less). The 5 is lucky to get 90, however, it was the first one I built and using tarp and tape. My .7 m NPW-5, however, does better on wind window, despite simplified bridles. Nose collapse, big problem on the original 5 is almost eliminated on the 5-P, and the Single Keel seems pretty resistant to it, though it will collapse and entire wing if turned to sharply. Single keel is by far the most stable, and I can often fly it right across the ground at a few feet. As for pull and speed - I can't say - its whichever has the most wind. I've been using two line pretty much on these kites except my old 5.

I would say that all my risptop kites seem to fly as well (and maybe as fast) as my 1.2 M Prism Snapshot, which I find interesting. I have a 1.4 M HQ Rush trainer which is nowhere near as good. My NASA's are flying when it can't even get off the ground. Plus, they are much more prone to stay flying.

One caveat - my usual flying spot is a small park, with lots of trees and obstructions so wind window may be distorted - the HQ trainer kite seems to hate the place.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 11:30 AM

All of my SS-delta I flew as a 4 line kite. I found my 12 SS-delta, as soon as I can I will get some photo of it. it is 2.8M2.
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 11:42 AM

Renny - is that camera working out ok for you?

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 01:48 PM

Randy, I'm curious how the pull is on the single keel?... Wondering what it might be like in a bigger size; like 3m maybe?!?!

I'm going to take a nap now
sadsack

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 02:55 PM

Randy, yes I have only used so far 1 time. but it worked very well.

soliver I have a 6' by 12' ss delta that is 2.8M2. It fly very well, I found out the bigger the

single keel NPW is the better it fly's. It has alot of pull for a delta. I gave it away to the boy club last summer, not knowing I did. I went back and got it last week. As soon as I can I will take some photos of it.
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
Randy, I'm curious how the pull is on the single keel?... Wondering what it might be like in a bigger size; like 3m maybe?!?!

It seems comparable to the other small NASA's I've made, which all seemed better than the larger (1.2m) Snapshot. My 1.8 has more pull than I feel comfortable using in much wind. I'm thinking of going bigger. I've got a really nice 4 meter, so I'm thinking 2-3 at some point. The single keel also seemed to have good pull near the edge of the wind window.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 10:42 AM

Hey guys, I've taught a kite making class at my daughters' homeschool co-op for the last few years and have always used tyvek for fabric due to the cost. I'm simplifying what I'm doing this year and am thinking maybe I'll use ripstop... What are you guys using, where do you buy it and how much does it cost.... I've found a very simple plan on kite plan base for a delta single line.

I've bought kite specific ripstop from into the wind before but it was almost $12 a yard.

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 10:58 AM

I got 12 yards, all different colors from Emmakites.com - a company in China, but with a US office in LA. I think it was about $40 including mailing all the way from China. Took about 3 weeks I think, but it seems like good fabric. I recently bought 2 yards from JoAnn fabric for $7/yd. They seem to have lots of coupon deals so you might do better. I had a 30% off coupon but since the fabric was on sale for $1 off, they wouldn't allow me to use it. I think Renny posted about getting their ripstop for 75% off one time. Neither the JoAnn or Emmakites fabric is the "crispy" kind and neither is super light from what I can tell.

I've never used tyvek, but I've heard its good. Main problem I saw was finding it in small quantities rather than house wrap size. Dollar tree tarps only weight about 3 oz/sq meter and are a ripstop material (believe it or not.) They do fly well enough and are certainly strong enough, and you can get any color you want as long as its blue. (Their duct tape does come in colors and works just fine.) I made a pocket sled kite out of the stuff in addition to my earlier NASA's and it flies ok. Would take more wind though. You can sew it just like regular fabric, but I found it works better with a Walking foot.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 11:12 AM

Thanks Randy... Good info.... The stuff from Into the Wind is the crispy stuff... Depending on the quantity I need (# of students) I may still use it... I've used the Joann stuff with not as good results in the past.

bigE123

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 11:30 AM

I use a Singapore based kite shop "passion for kites", at the moment my favourite is the Mirai rip-stop at 48g/m2 comes in one piece as well for bigger builds. The feel of the fabric is spot on.

homemade:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bigE123  
I use a Singapore based kite shop "passion for kites", at the moment my favourite is the Mirai rip-stop at 48g/m2 comes in one piece as well for bigger builds. The feel of the fabric is spot on.

I've seen their web page but was a little reluctant to order overseas (though the Chinese outfit worked out well.)

Does shipping cost much? Does it take long to get it?

BTW - their stuff looks like a bargain - Singapore $ = .8 of US$ as well.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 03:44 PM

If I am making a NPW I use Joann , when i get 50% of some time I buy alot. Last time I have 50% of I got 20 yards of white at $4.00 a yard. It works good for NPW. I have used tyvek a lot.
It is very cheap I can get 3 foot by 60 foot for under 10 bucks. I have made all kinds of kites with it.
renny
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 08:56 PM

Finally got around to finishing my NPW21, putting quad lines on the single keel, and a smile on the face of the little NPW5. Here's a video with all those, and my NPW5-P all on the same day.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 09:07 PM

lol, very nice, more snow this week, maybe i can get some photos for you.
renny
bigE123

[*] posted on 14-2-2015 at 02:58 AM

Well done Randy, it would be interesting hearing how you find each model, I'm sure each one will have a different characteristic now you have the chance to fly them side-by-side.

PS Looks like you are really getting to grips with the sewing machine, are you thinking of going for a bigger build yet?

homemade:
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-2-2015 at 08:03 PM

Thanks. Here's a video of the NPW 21by itself. Special thanks to bigE123 for all his help on this build. Still needs a bit of fine tuning, but its getting there.

I am getting better with sewing, but have a long way to go. I plan to do a few more 1 M projects first then got to a 2.5 m. Given my work space setup, its hard to go very big and I have a really nice 4.0 NPW9 from the Susan, the NPW Godess and a NS2 5.5 so don't need much bigger.

I might do something crazy like a Moko just for the heck of it. http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/moco2/moco2.html

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 08:34 AM

Yes, it must be nice to have good weather to fly in, it is -3 here but sunny.:lol:
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-2-2015 at 07:42 PM

hey all you kite making guys... I'd love a link for a good how-to on building an NPW ... I am thinking I'd like to give it a try. What model do you guys think is best? I was reading above that you guys seem to have a high opinion of the NPW21

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 07:47 AM

Spencer,

Since I'm still a novice at this, perhaps I should not chime in, but I can tell based on recent memory my impressions pretty well.

http://www.kiteplans.org/cat_3/sub_34/

The best resource to start with is kiteplans.org. They have lots of NASA plans, but most are 5's or 9's. Bear in mind - these are mainly "plans" - not really "instructions." The Tom White NPW9 calculator is much more detailed in terms of how to build one and is by far the best resource. That said, it concentrates on cascade bridles (which is a lot to start off with) and the 9 is not the first kite I would build. I'll discuss why later. His NPW5 calculator is very good as well - just not nearly as detailed. No matter what you do - take a very long look at Tom White's NPW 9 calculator.

The one you choose, depends a bit on what your reasons for doing it are. If you want something simple to start with, to perhaps engage the kids with then, then I would go with the .7 M smiley face kite. It is very simple (21 bridles), can be built with one yard of cloth and its small enough for the kids to fly in light wind. Plus, on a day with a ton of wind - its a lot of fun to fly. The plans have to be translated, but by looking at the Tom White calculators, and using the bridling it will be fine.)

Now, if your reasoning is to build your own performance kite to pull your buggy, then I'd still start with a NPW5, but follow Tom White's calculator to get started. After building that - then you could decide if you want to go on to the 9 or 21. That said - unless you have a lot of spare time (which I think you don't) having Susan make one for you would be a much better option. Her prices are very reasonable and her work is excellent. More expensive would be the NS series from Born, also great kites. My first build probably took 30-40 hours and it used lots of shortcuts - including almost no sewing.

I think that at present the 9 is still the "gold standard" for a performance NPW kite. It is also the most challenging to fly, and pretty difficult to build. The main issue, for me, was the number of bridles. Its got 48 and it took me hours (probably 12-16) to do the 36 on my first NPW 5. (Now I can do the same thing in probably less than 4-5.) I've built 2 NPW9's now.

The 21 is not nearly as far along on the development process. Ian and other experts are working at refining it, but its still a work in progress. I've built two of them now. The first one from web plans and the second one with Ian's help, which flies well. Its a bit more complex to build and probably has the same wind window as the 9, but perhaps not as much pull. It not as challenging to fly as the 9s. I think its a good compromise between performance and flight characteristics.

I like the single keel - but I don't think its what you are looking for, if performance is the goal, and there are only "plans" available, not "instructions", per se. It is the easiest of the bunch to build and I like to fly it.

I've built 14 NPW's now - and they have all flown, and for the most part pretty well. If you look at my youtube page, you can see all of them except my latest 9b (the footage I got wasn't very good). My learning curve pretty much had to go this route - trial and error, teach myself to sew etc, and I've enjoyed it a lot. All of the various experts have been extremely helpful and willing to answer my emails and make helpful suggestions and provide encouragement. Its been a lot of fun. So go for it.

Snapshot 1 (2-2-2015 6-36 PM).png - 147kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 07:51 AM

Here's a few more of my videos from my most recent builds.

2 Meter NPW5-P Wide (combining ideas from Tom White, Jan Claes, Bill Painter and Ian).

My ram air single keel:

NPW Test Pilot -US99
ssayre
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 08:01 AM

Randy, that ram air single keel is wild looking. It looks like its alive. Nice work bro.
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 09:25 AM

Thanks - it looks to me like a nasty hornet (Green Hornet??:D) with its head cut off. I was thinking of putting something pointing on the end to look like a stinger. (Or maybe making one yellow and black - to be a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket, but I'm not really a Tech fan.)

Or maybe I could go with some sort of Jurrasic Park theme...

NPW Test Pilot -US99
sadsack

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 09:33 AM

I like your 5p, so many kite, such little time.
sadsack

[*] posted on 1-3-2015 at 04:47 PM

To Spencer or anybody that want to build ss delta kites,

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/files.php?pid=279922&aid=8...

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/files.php?pid=279922&aid=8...

here is the first one I made. I am making the lines for it there.

Here all the info that you need to build one, of any size.

https://www.mediafire.com/?1fxm7d05f2n3d1i

Just download this file and unzip it.
start building:lol:

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  12

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio